Loud bang - pc died and house fuse tripped. Replaced psu but have instantly had the same thing happen again

Lew22

So after moving into uni house share my new pc randomly blew up while i was out the house with the pc plugged in but not even running. At this point the pc was dead and ive had to wait weeks for a psu replacement, which did fix the problem. I found out the psu cable was broken after replacing the psu as well but anyway the problem was fixed. 

With the new psu set up and the pc working fine for 2 days it happened again, this time while on. There was a very loud bang and the house fuse tripped, cutting out all power. After getting the power back up and turning on my pc again (after disconnecting cables and replugging) there was another bang loud enough that my ear is still sore from it.

I have no idea why this keeps happening but am now worried to even try turning the pc on again for fear of the same thing. 

I used a surge protector last time and even bought a completely new one after the last time it died, which still has surge protection light on. 

I dont trust the electrics in this house as a socket was hanging off the wall when we arrived and there was water leaking through the upstairs floor just the other day. I dont know if this is the issue but dont get why my pc keeps dying or what i can do to fix it. 

There were no issues with the pc before moving into the student house - ran it for months at home completely fine

Im really lost for ideas and have no success googling this so please please can somebody help with any kind of advice possible

Thank you 

I will also add that the bathroom with the leak through the floor is directly on the other side of the wall with the wall sockets in my room. Im pretty sure the shower is even in the same place of the wall as the sockets

The electrical in that house seems beyond sketchy.

During the move something may have shifted and could be making contact with the case. Other than getting a ups there is little to do with garbage power but either way it sounds like the electrical outlet is the guilty one here or the bad power from the house and it's a firehazard waiting to happen.

1 minute ago, Lew22 said:

I will also add that the bathroom with the leak through the floor is directly on the other side of the wall with the wall sockets in my room. Im pretty sure the shower is even in the same place of the wall as the sockets

Yeah that explains. Water drips on active wire stuff arcs everything goes boom.

4 minutes ago, Lew22 said:

So after moving into uni house share my new pc randomly blew up while i was out the house with the pc plugged in but not even running. At this point the pc was dead and ive had to wait weeks for a psu replacement, which did fix the problem. I found out the psu cable was broken after replacing the psu as well but anyway the problem was fixed. 

With the new psu set up and the pc working fine for 2 days it happened again, this time while on. There was a very loud bang and the house fuse tripped, cutting out all power. After getting the power back up and turning on my pc again (after disconnecting cables and replugging) there was another bang loud enough that my ear is still sore from it.

I have no idea why this keeps happening but am now worried to even try turning the pc on again for fear of the same thing. 

I used a surge protector last time and even bought a completely new one after the last time it died, which still has surge protection light on. 

I dont trust the electrics in this house as a socket was hanging off the wall when we arrived and there was water leaking through the upstairs floor just the other day. I dont know if this is the issue but dont get why my pc keeps dying or what i can do to fix it. 

There were no issues with the pc before moving into the student house - ran it for months at home completely fine

Im really lost for ideas and have no success googling this so please please can somebody help with any kind of advice possible

Thank you 

You need an electrician. 

I think this has very little to do with your PC, other than it is clearly overloading the fuse on the circuit- which it shouldn't. Your house electrics sound as dodgy AF. 

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah that explains. Water drips on active wire stuff arcs everything goes boom.

Hi thanks for the help - just to add i have now taken it to a different socket downstairs and tried turning it on. Upon turning the power supply switch on (and not the pc power switch itself) the house electric fuse tripped again. Im guessing I'll need another new power supply again, hopefully nothing more for the pc - and would you suggest getting the estate agents to send in an electrician? 

9 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

You need an electrician. 

I think this has very little to do with your PC, other than it is clearly overloading the fuse on the circuit- which it shouldn't. Your house electrics sound as dodgy AF. 

Hi thanks for the help - (just copying my reply to the other guy) just to add i have now taken it to a different socket downstairs and tried turning it on. Upon turning the power supply switch on (and not the pc power switch itself) the house electric fuse tripped again. Im guessing I'll need another new power supply again, hopefully nothing more for the pc - and would you suggest getting the estate agents to send in an electrician? 

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The electrical in that house seems beyond sketchy.

During the move something may have shifted and could be making contact with the case. Other than getting a ups there is little to do with garbage power but either way it sounds like the electrical outlet is the guilty one here or the bad power from the house and it's a firehazard waiting to happen.

What do you mean by an ups? 

Just now, Lew22 said:

Hi thanks for the help - (just copying my reply to the other guy) just to add i have now taken it to a different socket downstairs and tried turning it on. Upon turning the power supply switch on (and not the pc power switch itself) the house electric fuse tripped again. Im guessing I'll need another new power supply again, hopefully nothing more for the pc - and would you suggest getting the estate agents to send in an electrician? 

Its possible that the PSU has such a high surge that is tripping the circuit, but to have that happen so often across two different PSU's would be vanishingly rare. More likely the fuses in your board are somewhat subpar.   

Are you US or UK? 

2 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

Its possible that the PSU has such a high surge that is tripping the circuit, but to have that happen so often across two different PSU's would be vanishingly rare. More likely the fuses in your board are somewhat subpar.   

Are you US or UK? 

UK :)

Just now, Lew22 said:

UK :)

Ah ok - HMO or shared tenancy? 

Either way get onto your managing agent ASAP - you should have been provided a electrical safety report when you moved in (or within 28 days of moving in). 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

There appear to be massive problems with this building. I’m not sure what a “uni house” is.  My current guess is some sort of multi dweller building with multiple people living there.  It appears to have quite dangerous problems both with plumbing and electric.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

Ah ok - HMO or shared tenancy? 

Either way get onto your managing agent ASAP - you should have been provided a electrical safety report when you moved in (or within 28 days of moving in). 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

Shared tenancy - and yeah i will thank you. My house has had issue after issue since moving in. They got our move in date wrong so hadn't done a full check of the house so with all the other issues and broken parts of it i dont trust it not to be dodgy electrics

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

There appear to be massive problems with this building. I’m not sure what a “uni house” is.  My current guess is some sort of multi dweller building with multiple people living there.  It appears to have quite dangerous problems both with plumbing and electric.  

Basically it's just a house share (multiply tenancy house) and this one has been riddled with issues because they didn't have it inspected and cleaned out before we moved in. 

3 minutes ago, Lew22 said:

Basically it's just a house share (multiply tenancy house) and this one has been riddled with issues because they didn't have it inspected and cleaned out before we moved in. 

Well it sounds like you really really need to have that done.  The “bang” you’ve been hearing is likely rapidly expanding air.  With electrical this often means some material, most often metal, usually in a wire,  flash heated to a phase change state.    This is bad.  There are other possibilities for what may have happened as well.  They are generally even worse.  There are some old types of breakers that make a very loud noise when they pop.  They generally do that because one of the other mentioned problems is in the process of happening, and it is attempting to keep the building from burning down. An emergency fail safe measure. Still bad. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'll get onto them, thanks so much for the help

58 minutes ago, Lew22 said:

That's on them, don't let them put it on you. It's their legal obligation. Estate Agents I have come across have a very sketchy understanding of their obligations and will not take them seriously.

(Also make sure your deposit is properly protected)

But I think we have gone well off topic now.

10 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

That's on them, don't let them put it on you. It's their legal obligation. Estate Agents I have come across have a very sketchy understanding of their obligations and will not take them seriously.

(Also make sure your deposit is properly protected)

But I think we have gone well off topic now.

yeah definitely, i've been so pissed with them about everything else so far so to think they've potentially broken my beloved pc as well lol.

but yeah my deposit should be safe. Just hope they actually sort stuff out with an electrician without me having to make too much of a fuss for it

7 minutes ago, Lew22 said:

yeah definitely, i've been so pissed with them about everything else so far so to think they've potentially broken my beloved pc as well lol.

but yeah my deposit should be safe. Just hope they actually sort stuff out with an electrician without me having to make too much of a fuss for it

And a plumber.  The building owner is actually likely to be more interested in plumbing than electrical.  Leaks can do horrendous amounts of damage.  Of course fire can burn the building down so there’s that.