Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i7 8700 bottleneck RTX 3080 @ 4k60?

kevinj93
 Share

I'm planning on upgrading my RTX 2070 super and getting the RTX 3080 this week and I was wondering if my 8th gen intel i7 8700 (non k) will be a bottleneck @ 4k60? CPU is running at 4.6 Ghz with a BCLK overclock. Not planning a CPU/Mobo upgrade anytime soon.

 

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) 3Ghz DDR4 XMP On

 

Your opinions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know yet for sure but according to JayzTwoCents.. it is. That there is a noticeable amount of FPS difference with the 8000 and below. And frankly, Intel chips from a year ago or more is kinda weak nowadays. Yes it can spit out a little bit more frames in games but that's about it. So not surprised at all. I guess we'll wait and see for the benchmarks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

This may seem a bit obvious, but waiting until PCIe Gen 4 tests are out for the 3080, might be a good course of action. If it winds up making a substantial difference, making sure you have a PCIe Gen 4 ready mobo and CPU might be a good way of knowing whether or not your CPU will bottle neck the 3080. B550 and Z490 mobos, along with the corresponding CPUs might be a big part of the equation in the future when it comes to the 30 series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

I'm planning on upgrading my RTX 2070 super and getting the RTX 3080 this week and I was wondering if my 8th gen intel i7 8700 (non k) will be a bottleneck @ 4k60? CPU is running at 4.6 Ghz with a BCLK overclock. Not planning a CPU/Mobo upgrade anytime soon.

 

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) 3Ghz DDR4 XMP On

 

Your opinions?

there are very few* games that dip below 60fps on 4k with a 3080, and when it does, it's a 2-4% (1-2fps) bottleenck compared to a 10900k.

 

The pcie3.0 bottleneck tests are already out, it's also 1-2%, but zen 2 is naturally slower than coffee lake so gotta wait for zen 3 to worry about that if at all.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  8x nf12/14 fans ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb external backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 ll

Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

 

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

there are very games that dip below 60fps on 4k with a 3080, and when it does, it's a 2-4% (1-2fps) bottleenck compared to a 10900k.

So basically higher resolutions = more GPU bound therefore less CPU bottleneck since the CPU has to work less because GPU is being maxed out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, xg32 said:

there are very few* games that dip below 60fps on 4k with a 3080, and when it does, it's a 2-4% (1-2fps) bottleenck compared to a 10900k.

 

The pcie3.0 bottleneck tests are already out, it's also 1-2%, but zen 2 is naturally slower than coffee lake so gotta wait for zen 3 to worry about that if at all.

I just happened to read techpowerup's review that used the 9900k vs 10900k, although there are some differences at 1080p but the charts are showing very similar results at 4k. I don't think the 8700 is much slower than a 9900k (maybe 10-15% difference at best but that's it)

 

I don't really mind getting very high framerates anyways (300fps+)... Most of the time up to 100-120fps would suffice. 

 

Only time I'll be upgrading is when Intel releases their PCI-E 4.0 motherboards ... Never been a fan of AMD that's why I have no plans of upgrading nowadays...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, TheHueOfHues said:

This may seem a bit obvious, but waiting until PCIe Gen 4 tests are out for the 3080, might be a good course of action. If it winds up making a substantial difference, making sure you have a PCIe Gen 4 ready mobo and CPU might be a good way of knowing whether or not your CPU will bottle neck the 3080. B550 and Z490 mobos, along with the corresponding CPUs might be a big part of the equation in the future when it comes to the 30 series.

Hardware Unboxed did some benchmarks on 4.0 vs 3.0 and it doesn't make much difference. But as the drivers mature it might.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

I just happened to read techpowerup's review that used the 9900k vs 10900k, although there are some differences at 1080p but the charts are showing very similar results at 4k. I don't think the 8700 is much slower than a 9900k (maybe 10-15% difference at best but that's it)

 

I don't really mind getting very high framerates anyways (300fps+)... Most of the time up to 100-120fps would suffice. 

 

Only time I'll be upgrading is when Intel releases their PCI-E 4.0 motherboards ... Never been a fan of AMD that's why I have no plans of upgrading nowadays...

 

it's way less than 10-15%, it's barely 10% with the 3600 in the most extreme scenarios, maybe the gap widens with the ring bus cranked up, but it's not 15%.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  8x nf12/14 fans ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb external backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 ll

Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

 

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×