nvme help

Go to solution Solved by TheBean,
4 hours ago, Apple50000 said:

Would my computer still boot if I transfer everything to an external drive?

just by copying everything over, no. you need a migration tool to do that. but, its not always 100% reliable and data coruption is a common problem that happens during this process. that's why I said to make a backup of your files, do a fresh installation on the new drive and then copy your documents/files/games onto the new drive. 

My motherboard has a one nvme slot which currently has a 256gb nvme drive in it and I would like to add a larger nvme to my system how do I go about transferring everything to my new nvme?

14 minutes ago, Apple50000 said:

My motherboard has a one nvme slot which currently has a 256gb nvme drive in it and I would like to add a larger nvme to my system how do I go about transferring everything to my new nvme?

You can reinstall your OS and manually move the files back and reinstall programs, or you can use a clone program. The former is usually recommended, but the latter can work too.

Personally I have had good luck with Macrium Reflect (Free) using their provided tutorial on YouTube:

This does require that you have a way to have both SSD's installed in the system at the same time, so may require you to buy an adapter to plug both drives in (if you motherboard doesn't have multiple M.2 slots).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

if you have an external hard drive, backup everything (hopefully you already have backups). 

then just re-install windows on the new drive. 

transferring an OS is generally not recommended

20 minutes ago, Saksham said:

if you have an external hard drive, backup everything (hopefully you already have backups). 

then just re-install windows on the new drive. 

transferring an OS is generally not recommended

4 hours ago, Apple50000 said:

just by copying everything over, no. you need a migration tool to do that. but, its not always 100% reliable and data coruption is a common problem that happens during this process. that's why I said to make a backup of your files, do a fresh installation on the new drive and then copy your documents/files/games onto the new drive. 

I've used Acronis True Image that came free with an SSD i bought. The computer boot with no problem but it was kinda janky at best. So i re-build the installation from scratch.