Ethernet socket outlet help

inbellator

I have a socket right next to my pc in my room, its a ethernet one since the cable clicks into it. I also have one near my router, iv'e tried to put a ethernet cable into the outlet to my pc and one from the outlet to the router in the other room?

it doesn't work, am i just being silly should this work?

Well your jacks need to terminate somewhere, likely in a shallow box on the wall somewhere using a punch down panel of some kind. You need to connect those two together to complete the connection from the router port to your room port OR connect everything up to a switch.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Impossible to say without knowing where the cable actually runs to or if it's connected. You'd have to either trace the cables to find where they run to or use a cable tester to see which ports are connected to each other.

7 minutes ago, inbellator said:

I have a socket right next to my pc in my room, its a ethernet one since the cable clicks into it. I also have one near my router, iv'e tried to put a ethernet cable into the outlet to my pc and one from the outlet to the router in the other room?

it doesn't work, am i just being silly should this work?

If you live in an apartment (or I guess newer houses would have this as well), those ethernet drops will all go to an ethernet patch panel in your communications panel. It would look something like this.

What is a Patch Panel and What Is Its Purpose? – FireFold

You would then plug a cable from your router to those ethernet jacks on the patch panel to enable the various drops in your house.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Most likely is a phone line and not ethernet...

If it is ethernet you'd need to know what's at the other end of the cable. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If you live in an apartment (or I guess newer houses would have this as well), those ethernet drops will all go to an ethernet patch panel in your communications panel. It would look something like this.

You would then plug a cable from your router to those ethernet jacks on the patch panel to enable the various drops in your house.

I see, i'd have to check where something like this would be, maybe by other mains. In that case it may not be practical as my room is upstairs(2 level apartment) kitchen/lounge is also upstairs where the router is, if a box connector like this is downstairs i guess it would be hassle to run a ethernet cable upstairs and at that point i might as well run a cable from the kitchen to my room..

thank you for all the swift replies btw

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Most likely is a phone line and not ethernet...

If it is ethernet you'd need to know what's at the other end of the cable. 

there are to in my room with blue stickers on top of them and in other rooms aswell as a outlet in a closet which has 3 ports, would seem wierd to be phone lines.

Just now, inbellator said:

I see, i'd have to check where something like this would be, maybe by other mains. In that case it may not be practical as my room is upstairs(2 level apartment) kitchen/lounge is also upstairs where the router is, if a box connector like this is downstairs i guess it would be hassle to run a ethernet cable upstairs and at that point i might as well run a cable from the kitchen to my room..

If you only care about connecting those two jacks and nothing else then you only need like a 1-2ft ethernet cable between them and they'll work.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

there are to in my room with blue stickers on top of them and in other rooms aswell as a outlet in a closet which has 3 ports, would seem wierd to be phone lines.

OK, then probably Ethernet.

You need to find the box where they all go to and either put a patch cable between the 2 you want to connect, or install a switch to feed all of them.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

If you only care about connecting those two jacks and nothing else then you only need like a 1-2ft ethernet cable between them and they'll work.

I was bascially looking for a workaround so i dont have to run a cable like that, thats why i tried the wall socket outlets, but yeah seeming like ill have to do that if i want a wired connection, i have a network card but it seems unstable lately which is why i was looking into this.

2 minutes ago, inbellator said:

Yea that is a draw back with this type of design. You would have to place the router inside of that communications box or at least near where that ethernet patch panel is. Which in most cases is in an inconvenient location for the best WiFi coverage. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

OK, then probably Ethernet.

You need to find the box where they all go to and either put a patch cable between the 2 you want to connect, or install a switch to feed all of them.

yeah im a noob when it comes to actually installing anything, i may call my ISP and see what they say about it though i dont doubt they will charge a bomb for anything lol

I was bascially looking for a workaround so i dont have to run a cable like that, thats why i tried the wall socket outlets, but yeah seeming like ill have to do that if i want a wired connection, i have a network card but it seems unstable lately which is why i was looking into this.

I'm confused how that's an issue?

A 1 or 2 foot cable between two of these ports (assuming you can find that and figure out the right ones) would bridge them without hassle.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, inbellator said:

yeah im a noob when it comes to actually installing anything, i may call my ISP and see what they say about it though i dont doubt they will charge a bomb for anything lol

If it's an apartment you could also give your management company a call if you have such service. My relative's apartment didn't even have cables for the drops wired into the patch panel. Like the cables were just dangling inside the communications box, they weren't actually attached to the patch panel so none of the jacks in the suite actually worked. Had to call the management company in to fix it since it was technically a defect (the construction crew outright forgot to do it). 

45 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I'm confused how that's an issue?

A 1 or 2 foot cable between two of these ports (assuming you can find that and figure out the right ones) would bridge them without hassle.

routers upstairs, so if a box like this is downstairs i might aswell run the ethernet from my kitchen to room (upstairs) thank you again for helping though!

42 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If it's an apartment you could also give your management company a call if you have such service. My relative's apartment didn't even have cables for the drops wired into the patch panel. Like the cables were just dangling inside the communications box, they weren't actually attached to the patch panel so none of the jacks in the suite actually worked. Had to call the management company in to fix it since it was technically a defect (the construction crew outright forgot to do it). 

Ill have a look around for the box and then see where i can go from there, if no luck ill contact my management! thanks!:)

19 minutes ago, inbellator said:

routers upstairs, so if a box like this is downstairs i might aswell run the ethernet from my kitchen to room (upstairs) thank you again for helping though!

Ill have a look around for the box and then see where i can go from there, if no luck ill contact my management! thanks!:)

No, you're not understanding. You have the jack from your room going to that box via a cable, another cable going to the same location from the router's location. You take ONE cable and connect those two ports on the panel side with a 1 foot cable and it's like one long cable from your room to the router.

If you wanted all ports active in the home then you'd need a switch or to move the router.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, inbellator said:

An ISP won't even touch anything after the router. But read the posts above, it's straightforward...

F@H

GPD Win 2

So I’ve looked around and can’t find a main box anywhere all the found was a master socket, could I use that? Again sorry if I’m not understanding everything I don’t know much about doing this.

A9B43E56-843C-47BD-BAC6-4C9B8672D149.jpeg

here is both sockets 

45867358-7793-42CE-AE1B-D45054FD376C.jpeg