Switching from AMD to Intel Processor

Gaiger

Budget (including currency): around $500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly for games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 
Ryzen 5 2600 
MSI Gaming Plus B450 mobo
16 gig ddr 4 ram
rx570 8 gig sapphire
Cryorig R1 Ultimate.

I'm planning to upgrade my GPU to rtx 2070 super but i decided to wait until december for rtx 3070.
Is Intel Core i7 10700 2.9-4.8 ghz worth to get?

I'm a AMD fanboy but i decided to try something new and before i buy intel processor, i want some juicy information about intel processor so i won't just throw

money and regret my decision.

i5 10600k is better as it is 4.1-4.8 it has higher base clocks so it will run faster than i7 on poor cooling. It is cheaper so it makes room for a good motherboard like a asus rog strix z490-G gaming wifi

4 minutes ago, Gaiger said:

Is Intel Core i7 10700 2.9-4.8 ghz worth to get?

with AMD 4th gen right around the cornet. no, not really. 

6 minutes ago, Gaiger said:

i want some juicy information about intel processor so i won't just throw

money and regret my decision.

11th gen intel might be interesting, tho really thats quite some time away. 

since you are waiting to november/december, if just wait for 3th gen. 

also the 10700 really isnt worth it. 

7 minutes ago, Excorcist_46 said:

i5 10600k is better as it is 4.1-4.8 it has higher base clocks so it will run faster than i7 on poor cooling.

I just watch some youtube vid and yea i5 is popping off in terms of performance. 

I want to upgrade my processor because i have this gut feeling my amd processor is about to die.
My pc sometimes randomly turn off and after i turn on my pc there's a red led on my mobo. I did some troubleshooting
like checking the PSU and changing thermal paste and it helps but there's a rarely time my pc just turn off out of nowhere.

15 minutes ago, Gaiger said:

My pc sometimes randomly turn off and after i turn on my pc there's a red led on my mobo.

Check the motherboard manual to see what that led means, or check if there's any text by the led that might say what it means.

3 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Check the motherboard manual to see what that led means, or check if there's any text by the led that might say what it means.

Yup already did that and i figure out what is the mean of that red led light.

But for now i'm thinking of switching proc. I just feel like i'm not happy on what amd gives in my system unit in terms of performance.

52 minutes ago, Gaiger said:

Yup already did that and i figure out what is the mean of that red led light.

But for now i'm thinking of switching proc. I just feel like i'm not happy on what amd gives in my system unit in terms of performance.

given you already have a b450 motherboard, just wait a few more months for the 4000 series cpus, they are likely to be as good or even better than the intel 10th gen, and you won't have to buy a new motherboard for it as well.

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

given you already have a b450 motherboard, just wait a few more months for the 4000 series cpus, they are likely to be as good or even better than the intel 10th gen, and you won't have to buy a new motherboard for it as well.

yea the ryzen 4000 series looks promising but i don't really have plan to buy amd processor at this moment.

what really bugs is why i5 10600k is better as it is 4.1-4.8 is popping off in terms of performance vs the Intel Core i7 10700 2.9-4.8.
additional note i'm only using 1080p freesync monitor and i don't have or plan to use 1440p monitor, because i'm much more in frame
rather than those fancy setting that wouldn't help me in any pvp or pve situation. And another note i don't want or like overclocking.

12 minutes ago, Gaiger said:

yea the ryzen 4000 series looks promising but i don't really have plan to buy amd processor at this moment.

what really bugs is why i5 10600k is better as it is 4.1-4.8 is popping off in terms of performance vs the Intel Core i7 10700 2.9-4.8.
additional note i'm only using 1080p freesync monitor and i don't have or plan to use 1440p monitor, because i'm much more in frame
rather than those fancy setting that wouldn't help me in any pvp or pve situation. And another note i don't want or like overclocking.

the whole point of an intel k processor is overclocking. if you don't want/like it, go with a non-k cpu. bear in mind though that most of the figures that show the 10600k or 10700k cpus as being the best in gaming are using overclocked cpus, as that's how they are supposed to be used.

The 10600 non-k is still better than the 10700 and it is cheaper. Though overclocking is the way to go it is completely safe for your your hardware as millions of people do it. If you have never overclocked a CPU(like me) then you can get help from the people in the overclocking section. 

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the whole point of an intel k processor is overclocking. if you don't want/like it, go with a non-k cpu. bear in mind though that most of the figures that show the 10600k or 10700k cpus as being the best in gaming are using overclocked cpus, as that's how they are supposed to be used.

ohh.... frick the reason why i don't to overclocked is because what if i mess up and i just broke my cpu.
but from what you said it really helps me to gain much more if i choose to overclock.

4 minutes ago, Excorcist_46 said:

The 10600 non-k is still better than the 10700 and it is cheaper. Though overclocking is the way to go it is completely safe for your your hardware as millions of people do it. If you have never overclocked a CPU(like me) then you can get help from the people in the overclocking section. 

But if i overclocked it means i need to replace my cryorig r1 ultimate into AIO Liquid cooler right?

8 minutes ago, Gaiger said:

ohh.... frick the reason why i don't to overclocked is because what if i mess up and i just broke my cpu.
but from what you said it really helps me to gain much more if i choose to overclock.

But if i overclocked it means i need to replace my cryorig r1 ultimate into AIO Liquid cooler right?

That is plenty and over clocking is a slow art you have to do it extremely slowly and check whether the temps rocket up or not. You can do it slowly 20 mhz at a time and crank it up until it reaaches 80-ish to peak load

10 minutes ago, Excorcist_46 said:

That is plenty and over clocking is a slow art you have to do it extremely slowly and check whether the temps rocket up or not. You can do it slowly 20 mhz at a time and crank it up until it reaaches 80-ish to peak load

Another question. Choosing a motherboard for this 10600k, what are those feature i should consider before i buy a mobo.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

no need to change it, that's a good cooler

Nice thanks. Now I can try this overclocking when i get my intel processor.

Look for reviews VRMs are the most important for over clocking. All motherboards these days have good feature sets. The most i can recommend is to get one with wifi 

6 minutes ago, Gaiger said:

Choosing a motherboard for this 10600k, what are those feature i should consider before i buy a mobo.

z490 to enable overclocking and good reviews

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

z490 to enable overclocking and good reviews

2 minutes ago, Excorcist_46 said:

asus rog are mostly perfect

Asus Strix Z490 G Gaming Wifi, mATX  this one should be good right?

Nice now that settles my plan. Intel i5 10600k and aus strix z490 g gaming wifi, matx.
I'm going to buy this and for my gpu upgrade i'll just save money at least 3 months to buy rtx 3060 or 3078.

14 hours ago, Gaiger said:

around $500

First of all, you could wait for zen 3 to launch, and then check what it has to offer first. 

10 hours ago, Excorcist_46 said:

asus rog are mostly perfect

What? that means literally nothing, and there are many bad overpriced ROG products. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

First of all, you could wait for zen 3 to launch, and then check what it has to offer first. 

What? that means literally nothing, and there are many bad overpriced ROG products. 

Like what i said on my previous reply. I really don't have plan to buy any AMD product or wait for zen 3.
Maybe on motherboard i can change my mind but on processor i can proudly say no i won't change my decision.
I want to think outside of the box because i'm a AMD fanboy since high school that's why i want to try intel processor.

10 hours ago, Gaiger said:

i'm a AMD fanboy since high school that's why i want to try intel processor.

Then..

a 10600k is decent and is more than enough for gaming and as for a board, the z490 tomahawk or the gaming edge wifi or the vision g to name a few are quite decent and can handle a 10900k easily as well. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: