AIO for a system that will have a lot of downtime?

shevvek

I'm going to visit my parents for a while and I'm planning to build a gaming computer that will live at their house. Since this computer will likely sometimes be moved around or driven to different places, an AIO seems like it could reduce the risk of damage compared to a heavy air cooler. But are there any concerns with using an AIO liquid cooler for a system that will often be turned off for months at a time?

How powerful of a system are we talking about?  Anything Ryzen 5 3600 and below work more than fine with the stock cooler.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

6 minutes ago, shevvek said:

I'm going to visit my parents for a while and I'm planning to build a gaming computer that will live at their house. Since this computer will likely sometimes be moved around or driven to different places, an AIO seems like it could reduce the risk of damage compared to a heavy air cooler. But are there any concerns with using an AIO liquid cooler for a system that will often be turned off for months at a time?

A water cooling solution is more risky to move around due to potential leaks

Just now, Samfisher said:

How powerful of a system are we talking about?  Anything Ryzen 5 3600 and below work more than fine with the stock cooler.

Was originally planning on Ryzen 3600 with a smaller air cooler, but now i5-9600K seems like the best bet for that price point. If I'm getting a 9600K might as well OC it. :)

2 minutes ago, shevvek said:

But are there any concerns with using an AIO liquid cooler for a system that will often be turned off for months at a time?

The life of the AIO may be shorter than expected when used like this. As the pump will often have to push the air out of the way since its getting moved all the time. 

I'm not 100% on the above, but I wouldn't be surprised if it dies in 3 years regardless of usage time. 

5 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

A water cooling solution is more risky to move around due to potential leaks

I would have thought the risk of an AIO leaking when moving the machine would be much lower than the risk of motherboard strain from a heavy heatsink.

36 minutes ago, shevvek said:

I would have thought the risk of an AIO leaking when moving the machine would be much lower than the risk of motherboard strain from a heavy heatsink.

this is true, if you move your system constantly, maybe consider using stock heatsink

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Or try one of the lighter Noctua air coolers NH-U14s or NH-C14 very good coolers maybe overkill but a lot lighter than the big ones. Very reliable for this kind of situation.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, Samfisher said:

I used a Ryzen 3600 and my temps are all over the place. What optimisations do you do to keep it at a level which is stable.

22 hours ago, nsuinteger said:

I used a Ryzen 3600 and my temps are all over the place. What optimisations do you do to keep it at a level which is stable.

TBH I am on a 3700x and for a few weeks while I waited for my AIO, it was more than fine for gaming and even benchmarking.  Less than 75c in every case.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.