Monitors and hdmi 2.1

cyberjunaid

I am currently in the market for 4k IPS low response time 144hz monitor with HDR. I was wondering what effects does display stream compression have on it. And is it better to have a monitor that has uncompressed bandwitch or one with DSC? What benefit would HDMI 2.1 provide for monitors? Or it does not affect it at all compared to DSC.

Thanks

I don't think you'll notice a difference between DSC vs. Uncompressed. The max that HDMI 2.1 can carry is 4K at 120, so you wouldn't be able to run at 144hz, no matter what version you use. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

So there is no current tech that can do 4k 144hz? If you hdmi 2.1 can do 4k 120hz, does that include hdr? So with compressed, which is the minimum standard that I can use to get 4k 120hz with HDR?

12 hours ago, bellabichon said:

I don't think you'll notice a difference between DSC vs. Uncompressed. The max that HDMI 2.1 can carry is 4K at 120, so you wouldn't be able to run at 144hz, no matter what version you use. 

HDMI 2.1 can do 4K 144 Hz 10 bpc just fine.

• 8 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, bellabichon said:

There is a noticeable difference.  I have trouble for example reading text (FFXIV) in 4K running DSC but less trouble if I force the display to 60HZ in game which allows the game to run without DSC.  Also in games with too many overlapping graphical effects in a fight, DSC makes it harder than it needs to be to look through the effects.

For some I suppose it would not matter and would also depend on the game.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X --- Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 (16GBx2) CL16 --- ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) --- ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT OC Edition Graphics Card --- Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 (OS, etc) --- Seagate 2TB Firecuda 520 NVME SSD (Games) --- Samsung SSD 850 EVO MSATA 1TB (Temp Space) --- Samsung DATA SSD 860 EVO 2TB (Media Storgae) --- Samsung 860 EVO 4TB (Internal Backup)