Looking for price/performance PWM LED Fans

Energycore

One thing I'm used to from the past is the idea that LED fans tend to be pretty bad in terms of performance and build quality, except for really expensive RGB fans like the ML from Corsair.

That said, I'm looking for replacements to my top fans which are some cheap / meh Corsair AF120 LEDs (blue) from 2012. I don't want to pay more than $15-20 per fan, which is a lot, but I've seen some insane prices on RGB fans like over $35. I also want them to have good airflow / static pressure because I have an NH-C14s which likes having a way to move air away from itself.

Here's the key -  they have to be PWM because I'm using a splitter to control the top fans off the same header as the CPU fans and I'm forced into voltage mode (which means my NF-A14 PWM doesn't spin at all until 40% voltage).

No need for RGB LEDs especially because I'd need a controller. They just gotta be blue.

EDIT: they can be 140mms also

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

How many do you want?

2 or 4. Depends on how expensive they are (I'd rather not drop over $100 in fans lol)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

-continue the discussion from a status update-

if your motherboard have RGB header for RGB strips, you should be able to control them based on CPU temps, though idk if the software for your motherboard's RGB support that natively.

not sure if there are USB based RGB hubs with their own software (NZXT CAM?) 🤔

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

-continue the discussion from a status update-

if your motherboard have RGB header for RGB strips, you should be able to control them based on CPU temps, though idk if the software for your motherboard's RGB support that natively.

not sure if there are USB based RGB hubs with their own software (NZXT CAM?) 🤔

Spoiler

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

That's from 2011 😛

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

2 or 4. Depends on how expensive they are (I'd rather not drop over $100 in fans lol)

Seems like the best deals are usually on packs of 3.

Masterfan ARGB 120 - $18 per fan
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-r4-120r-20pc-r1-case-fan/p/1YF-0010-000K6?Item=1YF-0010-000K6

140mm is a big pricier at $27 per fan

https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-r4-140r-15pc-r1-certified-compatible-with-asus-aura-asrock-polychrome-sync-msi-mysti/p/1YF-0010-000K7

If you're feeling adventurous, I found these cheap Apevia fans - 4 for $32, 120mm and argb, they've got rubber pads too
https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-TL412L-RGB-Dual-Ring-Addressable-Anti-Vibration/dp/B087D7X6PQ/

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Masterfan ARGB 120 - $18 per fan
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-r4-120r-20pc-r1-case-fan/p/1YF-0010-000K6?Item=1YF-0010-000K6

140mm is a big pricier at $27 per fan

https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-r4-140r-15pc-r1-certified-compatible-with-asus-aura-asrock-polychrome-sync-msi-mysti/p/1YF-0010-000K7

If you're feeling adventurous, I found these cheap Apevia fans - 4 for $32, 120mm and argb
https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-TL412L-RGB-Dual-Ring-Addressable-Anti-Vibration/dp/B087D7X6PQ/

What kind of controller / whatever would I have to buy to use these?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

The apevias? description says -

• Comes with controller box that supports up to six specially designed compatible fans and remote control to change color and pattern of the lights.

Seems like they come with a remote too, although I think you can plug the controller into an ARGB header on your motherboard

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

That's from 2011

then you'll need an RGB hub for RGB fans

aaa im not too into RGB to be able to help you on this topic lmao

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

the apevia comes with its own controller, which cant be controlled by the system i assume

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

EZDIY-FAB 120mm PWM LED Ring Fan,LED PWM Case Fan for PC Case,CPU Cooler and Radiators,Blue 4-Pin 3 Pack

https://www.amazon.ca/EZDIY-FAB-120mm-Cooler-Radiators-4-Pin/dp/B07VKSHJRS

I'm not sure if these are efficient in cooling, but I think it's more for aesthetics.

InWin Sirius Loop Addressable RGB Triple Fan Kit 120mm High Performance Cooling Computer Case Fan Cooling

https://www.amazon.ca/Sirius-Addressable-Performance-Cooling-Computer/dp/B07PXNCQCG

I do like the look of the Sirius Loop how it lights up, but it is bad in cooling. It does come with a controller if your motherboard doesn't support the input.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 minute ago, alyen said:

EZDIY-FAB 120mm PWM LED Ring Fan,LED PWM Case Fan for PC Case,CPU Cooler and Radiators,Blue 4-Pin 3 Pack

https://www.amazon.ca/EZDIY-FAB-120mm-Cooler-Radiators-4-Pin/dp/B07VKSHJRS

I'm not sure if these are efficient in cooling, but I think it's more for aesthetics.

InWin Sirius Loop Addressable RGB Triple Fan Kit 120mm High Performance Cooling Computer Case Fan Cooling

https://www.amazon.ca/Sirius-Addressable-Performance-Cooling-Computer/dp/B07PXNCQCG

I do like the look of the Sirius Loop how it lights up, but it is bad in cooling. It does come with a controller if your motherboard doesn't support the input.

Interesting. Not the usual LED over the fins kinda thing, but I can consider these

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Agreed.

I personally have 2 of the Masterfans in 120mm, @Energycore.

I can probably answer any questions you have about different RGB technologies as I have an obsession with RGB in more than just PC case applications.

Important things to consider:

• Light Location: If you want the RGB to emanate from the fan's center (like the Masterfans) or from around the edge (like Corsair's Light Loop fans). I think there are fans with both as well.
  • Control and Compatibility:
    • Individually Addressable RGB: If you want the RGB to be controllable at every LED, some motherboards and RGB controllers support this in varying capacities, so this will be highly dependent not only on your ideal setup, but also on what you have and what you are willing to spend to achieve it.
    • Compatibility: Some fans "only work with supported hubs" which actually means that the RGB light strip technologies are different. Some RGB standards run at 12V; some at 5V. Some standards have the R, G and B channels in different orders. In my own setup, I rewired the RGB in order to fix engineering/design/production oversights/mistakes in the Phanteks case I used. This is usually pretty easy as it really just involves stripping wires as long as the voltage they run at is correct. You DON'T have to use only manufacturer-supported fan hubs/controllers if you know what to look for or are willing to make incredibly minor warranty-voiding modifications.
    • XXXtra features: Some fans (generally those found in cheap RGB cases) have built-in effects. These can make for "interesting" seizure-inducing light shows, and I don't recommend them, but they can be useful if you want RGB on the cheap and/or don't want to use software running in the background on your PC to control the fans.
  • Granularity and Brightness: More LEDs generally=more light and more smooth transitions between colors which can make lighting setups look "cleaner" (i.e.: you don't want to see the individual LEDs) Generally, fans with edge lighting (instead of center lighting) will have more LEDs because of a greater usable surface area, but not always, because different light diffusion techniques can spread the light out.
  • Performance: RGB fans may look cooler, but they may not perform cooler. Keep in mind your airflow requirements (usually measured in ft3/min aka cfm) and fan size compatibility.
  • Longevity and Sound: Technologies like in Corsair's Maglev fans can reduce wear and keep your fans running quietly for longer. I think that the Maglev fan motor hubs+blades can also be removed easily for cleaning, but don't quote me on that.

Hopefully this helps, but again, I'm more than happy to address any specific inquiries.

Edited by Nimoy007
correction regarding fan light locations (see strikethrough)

Engineer, electronics enthusiast, maker. My devices/tech:

Spoiler

Desktop (Main): i7-7700k/EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090/32" Curved QLED monitor

Desktop (HTPC): Ryzen 3-3200G/RX 580

Handheld: ASUS ROG Ally Z1 Extreme

Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage

VR: Quest 2

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Dev Boards: TI MSP430/Arduino Uno/Raspberry Pi 4/esp32

Sound: Sony WH-1000XM4, HyperX Quadcast

Camera: Sony a6300 w/ 18-135mm kit lens