mad catz R.A.T. 5 review

Hey guys here I got a review of the RAT5 gaming mouse!

first of all, I bought this mouse because i wanted to have a gaming mouse which was a good combination with my PC and Keyboard.

what do you have in the box?

In the box you find the following things: Documentation, your mouse itsself and weights( + weights holder)

is it packed in a good way?

The mouse itself is packed in a soft foam that will make sure that your mouse will arive in one piece.

my opinion + some of the features

I like the mouse very much. It has a braided cable which seems very robust. The USB connecter is goldplated. The dpi settings can be changed with software from madcatz. With that software you will also be able to set microkeys and profiles. You can switch profiles with a special button next to the leftmousebutton. This button has 3 leds (blue, purple and red). The mouse itself has buttons to directly change your dpi on the go. A precision aim button is next to your forward en back button, this button is very handy when you are gaming, when you want to snipe a running soldier on the battlefield who is like 300 meters away, you press that button and your dpi will be very low, leading on your target is piece of cake and i find it very easy to headshot moving targets now! 

The weights you get with your mouse can you equip by putting them on at the back on the mouse, you get 5 weights, each of 6 gram (i believe). I don't use them because i love a very light mouse, and because te grippi material on the mouse I find no problems lifting it at all. The RAT5 has got a thumbscroll, i macro't it to be my volume controler, but in games like skyrim you can easily scroll through your objects with it. ITS A MUSTHAVE!

Last thing, the adjustment of the mouse, the mouse is adjustable in length. When it isnt adjusted it is kind of small, i think Linus could barely palm the mouse. However, when it's adjusted all the way its is a very large mouse and even people with very large hands are able to palm the mouse.

So i like the mouse very much, its definitly worth the money! The only complain i sometimes accidently touched the forward button. But now i have the mouse for some time i never accidently touch it and now everyting is perfect!

thanks everybody (if you have questions, post them please)

greetings from Holland 

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

Good informative review, good job:)

Also greeting from the UK:)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Good review dude

I have the RAT 7 , they all look and feel amazing! I've seen a lot of people on youtube use mice from the RAT range. They're becoming really popular.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Good review.

I have had the RAT 5 for about a year now and it has been really good.

The RAT 5 is a great buy.

I have had my R.A.T 7 for about a year now, LOV IT!, its a great mouse. There is only one problem I have found while using it. If you have a bad mouse pad, you can get tracking issues, like axis locking, buying a gaining mouse pad resolves this issue.

"Mentally Unstable Like a Fox!"

i have the R.A.T 7 M.M.O... only issue i have found with it is that it tends to disconnect every now n then

Character artist in the Games industry.

Nice review/overview :) I was wondering how this mouse was recently actually.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

OK have been using this mouse since Christmas 2011 so I'll add some comments on the long term durability of the mouse

The braiding on the cable does fray eventually and form loops. Mine has in two places where there are bends in it.

The side panels have also come loose. The metal the base is made from is quite soft so when the wings are bashed (as they will if you put it in a bag) the thread the screw uses wears away. I have had to glue mine into place.

The profile software isn't fantastic. it takes too long to set things up. Also you have to change profiles manually as it won't change when, lets say, starting a game which is annoying when you forget.

OK have been using this mouse since Christmas 2011 so I'll add some comments on the long term durability of the mouse

The braiding on the cable does fray eventually and form loops. Mine has in two places where there are bends in it.

The side panels have also come loose. The metal the base is made from is quite soft so when the wings are bashed (as they will if you put it in a bag) the thread the screw uses wears away. I have had to glue mine into place.

The profile software isn't fantastic. it takes too long to set things up. Also you have to change profiles manually as it won't change when, lets say, starting a game which is annoying when you forget.

I haven't experienced anything like that with may RAT 5. I have it one year now though.

I have had my R.A.T 7 for about a year now, LOV IT!, its a great mouse. There is only one problem I have found while using it. If you have a bad mouse pad, you can get tracking issues, like axis locking, buying a gaining mouse pad resolves this issue.

Thanks for sharing that with us, I don't use any mousepad so this may actually help people in their choice, thanks! 

I want everything pink

• 3 weeks later...

"...able to set microkeys and profiles."

​Don't you mean macro-keys?

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

"...able to set microkeys and profiles."

​Don't you mean macro-keys?

you are able to set macrokeys within 3 kinds of profiles (a button with LED lights next to you LMB). So you can switch between your profiles with a single click. For example you can macro your keys in the first profile for BF3, in the second profile for DAYZ and in the third profile for Skyrim. You can then switch between your profiles easily pressing the button next to you LMB. You know in which profile you are because every profile got another LED colour (blue, red and purple). 

I want everything pink

• 1 month later...

I just got a Corsair M65, and feels too bulky/big for my hand, I might return it and get a R.A.T. 5

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I just got a Corsair M65, and feels too bulky/big for my hand, I might return it and get a R.A.T. 5

You won't be disappointed!

I want everything pink

Hmm after having a rat 7 contagion for around a year I can say that i wish it had more buttons. Other then that it is an awesome mouse. It might be due to the fact that a year ago i never played mmos however that has changed.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Just a tip to everybody buying a R.A.T of some sort, they are infomus for their tracking issues beacuse of the Philips Twin-eye laser that at least the 5,7 & 9 use, Some gaming mouse pads work, others don't (like Icemat or any other glass-like mousepads ). I read somewhere that the razer golaithus pads would work well, and it has yet to fail me, (had a rat.9 for almost a year).

Nor have I noticed any of the other problems that the rats had at launch (and believe me there was a LOT of issues) 

I recently bought the RAT 5, I wanted to have a small mouse that has over 5000 dpi... I have average size hands, and the most natural grip for me is fingertip (as weird as it may sound), so I was looking at the RAT M, but I wasn't feeling like dropping $180 (including tax) for a mouse, and I wasn't looking for a wireless mouse.

So I bought the RAT 5. Since it's a super customizable mouse, I expected to have the option to remove the thumb rest/support (not really sure how it's called) like the razer oruburus, however MADCATZ didn't think of it all the way through..

Other than the non removable thumb rest, and the fact that even at it's minimum size I still wish it was smaller. I have no complaints about the functionality or the performance.

And it looks like a transformer/racing car... One of the best looking mice I've ever seen (black and red version) although it doesn't really match my minimalistic keyboard style...

I didn't noticed any bugs or issues with the software on my PC. However my laptop the software didn't want to work at all... I didn't actually care because I don't play games on my laptop anyways...

I might give it to my brother, he has a huge hand and he claw grip! And get a different mouse to myself...

I don't blame them for the mouse not being good for me, I know I should have put more time into research, but I didn't even know that they have this mouse in my country...

• 2 weeks later...

first of all, I bought this mouse because i wanted to have a gaming mouse which was a good combination with my PC and Keyboard.

In the box you find the following things: Documentation, your mouse itsself and weights( + weights holder)

The mouse itself is packed in a soft foam that will make sure that your mouse will arive in one piece.

I like the mouse very much. It has a braided cable which seems very robust. The USB connecter is goldplated. The dpi settings can be changed with software from madcatz. With that software you will also be able to set microkeys and profiles. You can switch profiles with a special button next to the leftmousebutton. This button has 3 leds (blue, purple and red). The mouse itself has buttons to directly change your dpi on the go. A precision aim button is next to your forward en back button, this button is very handy when you are gaming, when you want to snipe a running soldier on the battlefield who is like 300 meters away, you press that button and your dpi will be very low, leading on your target is piece of cake and i find it very easy to headshot moving targets now! 

The weights you get with your mouse can you equip by putting them on at the back on the mouse, you get 5 weights, each of 6 gram (i believe). I don't use them because i love a very light mouse, and because te grippi material on the mouse I find no problems lifting it at all. The RAT5 has got a thumbscroll, i macro't it to be my volume controler, but in games like skyrim you can easily scroll through your objects with it. ITS A MUSTHAVE!

Last thing, the adjustment of the mouse, the mouse is adjustable in length. When it isnt adjusted it is kind of small, i think Linus could barely palm the mouse. However, when it's adjusted all the way its is a very large mouse and even people with very large hands are able to palm the mouse.

So i like the mouse very much, its definitly worth the money! The only complain i sometimes accidently touched the forward button. But now i have the mouse for some time i never accidently touch it and now everyting is perfect!

greetings from Holland 

I never understood how to macro the horizontal scroll wheel, any chance for a tutorial :)

:/

I've got the RAT 7 Albino, and it's one of my better mice. Love it. :) These are the settings I am using: 

Palm rest: second click from the smallest setting (Claw grip. I cant stand palm grip.)

5800 DPI, Precision aim programmed to reduce it by 40%

thumb rest: mid way,

Pinkie rest: small grippy option.

It took me around 5 weeks for me to find me perfect settings. 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

• 8 months later...

greetings from Holland

Do you get the pinky rest with the 5 or is it only with the 7 and 9?

Do you get the pinky rest with the 5 or is it only with the 7 and 9?

only with the 7 and 9, I didn't get one with my 5 at least.

I want everything pink

only with the 7 and 9, I didn't get one with my 5 at least.

Thanks. I'll go for the seven then

Great review!

I'm probably gonna get the 3 :D! Can't wait!

Greetings from holland! ;)

I have Rat 7, and I've had it for over a year now, but like a month ago the two buttons over where you have your thumb started being weird, sometimes it work, sometimes not.. And the place where you have your thumb went loose, and it were really annoying at first, but I got used to it.

For anyone thinking of buying these mice, it's worth noting that it's pot luck whether your one will be any good or not. Some work, but other's just tend to have loads of problems (tracking issues, buttons not working).