How can I disable my VPN network access

Ofir aviel

Hi,

I have a softether VPN setup on windows server 2016, and I verified that I can successfully connect to it via the softether client.

Now my question is, how can I make my internet browsing go thru my local network and not thru the VPN?

Thank you all for your help!

VPN's are (typically) like an additional IP stack on your system, and can have a separate DNS server address configured. But not all systems do this.

If your VPN does not assign a new DNS for the VPN session then you will continue to use the DNS server(s) configured in your main Internet IP Stack. This can present a problem if the external DNS cannot resolve internal addresses (or as you indicate, if you don't want internal addresses to be known externally).

If your VPN does assign a new DNS - for example by using DHCP option 6 "DNS Server" - then you can have different DNS servers for the VPN and for Internet. Your OS must support this, as must the VPN service. If you send traffic out both stacks at once this would be "Split Mode".

A final option is that you might operate your VPN in Tunnel Mode, sending all communications (including Internet) through the VPN stack. In this case, when you are on the VPN all DNS would use the VPN's DNS. This is probably the most secure way since all internal traffic is sure to stay in the VPN.

If your VPN changed the DNS change it back.

Whether the internet traffic goes through the VPN is typically an option either in the VPN client or server. I.e. sometimes it is controlled on the server, so if it's not you administering it you have no choice.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

What you are looking for is called split tunneling.  This is a configuration whereby you choose which network prefixes are intermediated by the VPN circuit.  In this case if your remote office has 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.1.0/24, you would want to configure your VPN to take all traffic destined for thes two /24, while leaving the rest of your traffic to follow your ISP default route.  

I am not familiar with the cpn platform tou are using but this concept exists within all the VPN platforms I have mucked with.