PC Help :D

Savion Kirby

Hello all, I'm new to the forums. Anyways, I'm 14 years old and saving up to buy a pc at 15. My parents are not too into gaming but let me play games occasionally such as Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft and Roblox Phantom Forces (I plan to play Kerbal Space Program 2 when it comes out). I'm looking for a computer which can run those games flawlessly and multitask very easily when it come to school work. After weeks of research, I found the Lenovo M720q. I will send you the link to the computer I'm considering buying. May you guys please look over this pc and inform me if it is a reliable computer to purchase to fit my desires. Thank you in advance to those who are willing to help me out! 

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M720-M720q-Desktop/dp/B07ZZH3D4B/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/138-3321092-9733228?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07ZZH3D4B&pd_rd_r=8f179b72-12dd-40a8-a680-c1d5012a66b6&pd_rd_w=XnN1D&pd_rd_wg=clk1p&pf_rd_p=5415687b-2c9d-46da-88a4-bbcfe8e07f3c&pf_rd_r=NNRGFY2ANX75DC8NW4DM&psc=1&refRID=NNRGFY2ANX75DC8NW4DM

(Edit)  I have a budget of $800

I think a better choice might be a old optiplex with a ssd, more ram and a GPU. that thing has no GPU. 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

No. It has integrated graphics, a T series processor meaning that it runs pretty slow(compared to the non t variant). For 800$ you can build something so much better, or just get a prebuilt that is also much better.

also please do not have the link like that. Nearly had a heart attack when i clicked on it and realized this could have been a bad idea.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

a build with a ryzen 3100 and a 1650 super or 1660 super is easily attainable under 800 bucks. prebuilts in that price range usually have a 9400f, a 1650 super, and 8 gb ram but occasionally there are better deals around that price.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

a build with a ryzen 3100 and a 1650 super or 1660 super is easily attainable under 800 bucks. prebuilts in that price range usually have a 9400f, a 1650 super, and 8 gb ram but occasionally there are better deals around that price.

I am not quite confident building a pc, my parent also would be on edge of that idea. Being that this would be my "first" pc, I only want something that could do the job. 

1 minute ago, Savion Kirby said:

I am not quite confident building a pc, my parent also would be on edge of that idea. Being that this would be my "first" pc, I only want something that could do the job. 

thats fair, a prebuilt from ibuypower, cyberpower, etc would be a good place to start. most of their sales on prebuilts are in the 1000-1200 dollar range where theyll drop the price a few hundred bucks on certain models. for those games in particular a good cpu and ram would take precedence over a better gpu. if you play modded ksp or minecraft 32gb of ram could be advisable, but you likely wouldnt find that in a prebuilt. perhaps theres a company/shop/friend local to your area thatll build you something to your desired specs?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

This dell G5 is a really great choice. For 850$ you get an i5 10400F, 1660ti and 8gb ram, plentiful for your uses.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-and-games/new-dell-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/gd5090g520s

For 799$, you can get a Lenovo ThinkCentre T540 with an i5 9400F, 1660ti and 16gb of ram, again a very competent machine.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/500-series/IdeaCentre-T540-15ICB-G/p/99IC9500324?IPromoID=LEN351111

4 minutes ago, Savion Kirby said:

Get a prebuilt if you dont want to build a pc. If you really want you can find built pc's on websites to buy from others (just make sure your getting a good deal) I even found a pc with an rtx 2080 super and r 3700x for ONLY 750 on a website like offerup ( just not near me lol)

1 minute ago, litttrash said:

Get a prebuilt if you dont want to build a pc. If you really want you can find built pc's on websites to buy from others (just make sure your getting a good deal) I even found a pc with an rtx 2080 super and r 3700x for ONLY 750 on a website like offerup ( just not near me lol)

Would you mind suggesting a website where I could find built pc's? 

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

This dell G5 is a really great choice. For 850$ you get an i5 10400F, 1660ti and 8gb ram, plentiful for your uses.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-and-games/new-dell-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/gd5090g520s

For 799$, you can get a Lenovo ThinkCentre T540 with an i5 9400F, 1660ti and 16gb of ram, again a very competent machine.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/500-series/IdeaCentre-T540-15ICB-G/p/99IC9500324?IPromoID=LEN351111

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out. :D

8 minutes ago, Savion Kirby said:

You can build something that performs way better than that prebuild for half the price. 

Building a PC isn't some incredible piece of engineering. It's comparable to Lego, and assuming you use common sense, it's really hard to mess it up. It's also fun. 

2 minutes ago, Savion Kirby said:

Would you mind suggesting a website where I could find built pc's? 

Well Offerup, Ebay, Craigslist are a couple just make sure your getting a good deal on those sites. Also, alot of the really good deal stuff on those sites are used. But, even used they out perform stuff you listed by a CRAP ton

34 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You can build something that performs way better than that prebuild for half the price. 

Building a PC isn't some incredible piece of engineering. It's comparable to Lego, and assuming you use common sense, it's really hard to mess it up. It's also fun. 

I agree here!!

You have the time until your next birthday to watch enough YT and see just how putting together a PC is just like building a Lego set.

Or if your parent doesn't feel easy about it, compare it to building IKEA furniture.

Just follow the directions, and go step by step.

Also, for this $800 build price, do you NEED a Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, etc????

Or are we only talking the tower/computer??

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

56 minutes ago, Jason 57 said:

I agree here!!

You have the time until your next birthday to watch enough YT and see just how putting together a PC is just like building a Lego set.

Or if your parent doesn't feel easy about it, compare it to building IKEA furniture.

Just follow the directions, and go step by step.

Also, for this $800 build price, do you NEED a Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, etc????

Or are we only talking the tower/computer??

The $800 is just the tower budget. 

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

it's really hard to mess it up.

*The Verge has joined chat*

But seriously, if someone ask for a prebuild because that's what they're comfortable with, then please focus on that. With time those can be upgraded, and even new, they can be nice little builds if spec's accordingly.

@AndreiArgeanu and @VeganJoy had good suggestions IMO

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !