Massdrop HD58X

vopos

So I've had my AKG K550s for almost 6 years now and am looking for a replacement, the HD 58X Jubilee have good reviews and was wondering whether the Drop O2 Headphone Amplifier would be worth the extra cost? Or are there other headphones in the same price range that are better? Also do they ever go on sale? Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Wait till you have them and see. They're pretty easy to drive 

Am I correct when saying that the higher the ohms the more likely an amp would be needed?

the 58x/6xx massdrop exclusives are very very popular and always on backorder as a result. theyre probably the main products keeping that shitty site afloat lol. very easy to drive, i use my 6xx straight from an iphone 5c and it sounds great, no clipping or anything. the 58x should be slightly warmer (i use an equalizer to tone down the high end on my 6xx) and are probably the best in that price range.

Just now, vopos said:

Am I correct when saying that the higher the ohms the more likely an amp would be needed?

unfortunately not, its a common misconception. there may be correlation between higher impadance and lower sensitivity but sensitivity is the important one. as an example, the 6xx's are identical to the 650 which is has a high impedance but are easy to drive, hence my running it off of a shit phone.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

3 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

the 58x/6xx massdrop exclusives are very very popular and always on backorder as a result. theyre probably the main products keeping that shitty site afloat lol. very easy to drive, i use my 6xx straight from an iphone 5c and it sounds great, no clipping or anything. the 58x should be slightly warmer (i use an equalizer to tone down the high end on my 6xx) and are probably the best in that price range.

unfortunately not, its a common misconception. there may be correlation between higher impadance and lower sensitivity but sensitivity is the important one. as an example, the 6xx's are identical to the 650 which is has a high impedance but are easy to drive, hence my running it off of a shit phone.

So why do people on reddit say that the HD650 are best when using an amp/dac?

1 minute ago, vopos said:

So why do people on reddit say that the HD650 are best when using an amp/dac?

because people on reddit wanna justify buying shit they dont need, technically theyre right but theres generally no discernible difference. worst case scenario you can pick up a fiio e10k for 50-60 bucks that would be a very good starter dac/amp

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

3 minutes ago, vopos said:

people on reddit

I think this is your answer.  😉

the o2 is kinda outdated but the 58x is a great headphone doesnt really need a DAC amp to be driven properly its really easy to drive unlike the hd 650 where I would ssay sounds best on tubes. 

• 2 weeks later...