Enabling Surround Sound in Games for PC?

Jaxseven

I have a console PC in my living room and finally took the time to configure it with my 4K TV properly. After some googling, I figured out I could get 5.1 surround sound enabled with my sound bar if I hooked it up via an HDMI. It’s a little hacky since my PC thinks it’s a second monitor, but I was able to test the 5.1 sound in the audio settings. I then decided to start up a game to enable surround sound, but found the audio options limited. Even in Hellblade I couldn’t find a dedicated sound configuration option. Is there a trick to enabling surround sound in games? Do games automatically configure surround sound when you configure your Windows audio to 5.1? Any games I should use to confirm I have working 5.1 sound?

Afaik most games automatically enable surround. Some have dedicated options for 5.1, 7.1, stereo, Dolby Atmos, etc. But if a game is neither of those, you're out of luck.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I think Hellblade comes with surround sound enabled and as i remember there wasnt any special selections in sound options other than different audio volumes. I think all games come like this.

Just a suggestion, when it comes to hellblade, play it using some good headphones. The experience is really awesome that way.   

1 hour ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Afaik most games automatically enable surround. Some have dedicated options for 5.1, 7.1, stereo, Dolby Atmos, etc. But if a game is neither of those, you're out of luck.

I did find a list of surround sound enabled games through a link on the PC Gaming Wiki, and all the games I tested were from there, but I didn’t have time to actually play through the games but instead just check the in-game audio settings. 

1 hour ago, Shammikit said:

Just a suggestion, when it comes to hellblade, play it using some good headphones. The experience is really awesome that way.   

I have played through it with my G933 and it’s definitely a game that needs headphones. I only mention it since I know 3D sound is a core aspect of the game which is why I figured there’d be a dedicated setting for it. I’ll just have to play through some games to see if anything is different. I’m going through The Evil Within with my fiancée which is listed to support surround sound so fingers crossed.