Spilled water on laptop

norvad

I spilled water on my laptop i turned it off after 5mins had to really finish something i was doing. Then left to work, i left my laptop open but kinda standing. Came back home after 2-3 hours and took apart the laptop to see if its dry or not. Seemed like all the hardware were fine no water signs.

So i decided not to dig deeper and remove more parts. Turned on the laptop, it tuned on just fine everything but a few keys arent working. Does it mean the keyboard is dead? Should i replace laptops keyboard?

Don't know if it helps but its acer nitro 5

I've fixed a few where this happened, and needed the keyboard dried out really well, seems to be a roll of the dice. i would take it out of the laptop, and leave it in front of a fan for a day or two, and if it still doesn't work, replace it.

some keyboard cleaner compressed air might do the trick as well.

there's probably still some water stuck under the membrane of the keyboard and it's shorting out those keys, making the system think you're holding down the keys the entire time.  It should dry out eventually, but it's probably best to unplug the system and remove the battery for a little longer until there's absolutely no liquid left...

12 minutes ago, norvad said:

I spilled water on my laptop i turned it off after 5mins had to really finish something i was doing. Then left to work, i left my laptop open but kinda standing. Came back home after 2-3 hours and took apart the laptop to see if its dry or not. Seemed like all the hardware were fine no water signs.

So i decided not to dig deeper and remove more parts. Turned on the laptop, it tuned on just fine everything but a few keys arent working. Does it mean the keyboard is dead? Should i replace laptops keyboard?

Don't know if it helps but its acer nitro 5

..but with the battery in. You may have problems later with corrosion too. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

I've fixed a few where this happened, and needed the keyboard dried out really well, seems to be a roll of the dice. i would take it out of the laptop, and leave it in front of a fan for a day or two, and if it still doesn't work, replace it.

some keyboard cleaner compressed air might do the trick as well.

Should i open it again and wipe it?

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

..but with the battery in. You may have problems later with corrosion too. 

I hope its not the case cause i spilled like 1 or 2 table spoons of water

Just now, norvad said:

I hope its not the case cause i spilled like 1 or 2 table spoons of water

Depends on where it went.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If you could open it up, that would be best. Try and open up the case and disconnect some or most of the components( if you know your way around this) and dry them as best as you can. If possible, try and remove most of the components covering the keyboard and dry it out that way. 

Given that you didn't spill all that much, perhaps you can try and trace and imagine where the water could've gotten into your laptop and dry that out. 

Just now, norvad said:

Should i open it again and wipe it?

the keyboard? wiping to dry won't help much, as said above, there is probably water in the membrane, and under the keys. if lucky, the water is only temporarily shorting the keyboard, and after drying out really well will work again.

13 minutes ago, Riesling said:

If you could open it up, that would be best. Try and open up the case and disconnect some or most of the components( if you know your way around this) and dry them as best as you can. If possible, try and remove most of the components covering the keyboard and dry it out that way. 

Given that you didn't spill all that much, perhaps you can try and trace and imagine where the water could've gotten into your laptop and dry that out. 

Disconnected as much as i can. Hopefully it'll be fine inthe morning

Well 10 hours later even the keyboard rgb not turning on now. Is it time to get new laptop keyboard?

3 minutes ago, norvad said:

Well 10 hours later even the keyboard rgb not turning on now. Is it time to get new laptop keyboard?

There seems to be a lot of non proactive action here.  It’s hard to know what is wrong.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

There seems to be a lot of non proactive action here.  It’s hard to know what is wrong.

What should i try?

What should i try?

It’s a bit late for a lot of things.  Hindsight is useless though.

We don’t know where the water got to for one. Some keyboards have solid backs some don’t. Water has a tendency to vaporize and flow.  Corrosion problems often aren’t immediate.  They can appear as function problems a week or a month later. The issue with a keyboard replacement is that if the problems include more than the keyboard doing so won’t help.  Finding out where the water got to is important. 

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s a bit late for a lot of things.  Hindsight is useless though.

We don’t know where the water got to for one. Some keyboards have solid backs some don’t. Water has a tendency to vaporize and flow.  Corrosion problems often aren’t immediate.  They can appear as function problems a week or a month later. The issue with a keyboard replacement is that if the problems include more than the keyboard doing so won’t help.  Finding out where the water got to is important. 

I think its just on the keyboard didn't see any water signs on motherboard or anywhere else

I think its just on the keyboard didn't see any water signs on motherboard or anywhere else

You might be able to get away with just the keyboard.  Electrical wires connect to other parts of the machine though. Something could have shorted since the machine had a battery connected the whole time.