PC broke. Need a new one.

RayIsPrime

Budget (including currency) $400-500 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Rainbow Six Siege, Fall Guys, Chrome Games. Light school work like google docs and zoom.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have all the peripherals I need just the pc needs fixing! I have a 75hz 5ms monitor right now so that should be an easy check mark. Not existing parts.

Hello! My Name is Ryan and I have had a Best Buy prebuilt for about 2.5 years until 2 days ago.  First off I know a Best Buy prebuilt is bad so I’ll never do it again lol. The story behind the brick is when I was preparing to leave for my family cottage my PC was updating everything and my power went out. One of those 1-2 second outages but enough to stop the update in its tracks. After booting up after the incident my WiFi and audio was completely messed up. It’s a long story but in the end I reinstalled windows. After finishing the install all I did was download chrome and turn it off for the day. When I woke up the next day it was not giving signal to my monitor. After removing and replugging in my Graphics card and Ram to no avail I took it in to Best Buy to see what the problem is. They said multiple thing (Pretty much everything but the power supply) was broken and needed replacing. The brings us to right now. As said above I have $400-500 CAD to work with and no extra parts and all the peripherals I need. No wanting grams above 75 to match my hz and nothing fancy but will get the job done. I made a lost of something I like and would appreciate revisions, suggestions or completely different builds! Thanks for everything in advance.

8 minutes ago, RayIsPrime said:

They said multiple thing (Pretty much everything but the power supply) was broken and needed replacing.

they're probably trying to get you to get a new rig

if the previous PC's spec isnt too bad, might be worth taking a look at fixing it+upgrading with your budget

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

If you're building a new pc, I highly recommend getting a used gpu. Not sure what prices are like in Canada but you might be able to get a 1060 or 1070 for that much

Don't build a new pc yet. There is some tests that you should do first, regardless of what Best Buy told you, and your pc will be better than one you can buy in canada for $500. This is a fellow canadian who hates our economy as well.=)

First a parts list. Does your cpu have integrated graphics? Have you tested the gpu, assuming that windows is stable enough to run a gpu test? 

A faulty psu can cause frustrating issues. Troubleshoot this. You can even buy another one, connect it to your existing pc, and you already have one step toward a new pc if you choose. I wouldn't trust a lightning struck PSU.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/components/how-to-troubleshoot-a-pc-power-supply/#:~:text=Locate the 20%2B4P (24,power supply is turned on.

A easy troubleshooting tip is to boot into a memtest os, and run a several hour test on the memory.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/how-to-test-ram

If windows doesn't work it could be corrupted even if its a clean install. Try installing Ubuntu, its free, and can run on a usb stick.

https://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-dual-boot-mode-windows/

Once you have done this then decide whether you still want to build a new pc, and ask us again.

16 minutes ago, zachsa999 said:

Don't build a new pc yet. There is some tests that you should do first, regardless of what Best Buy told you, and your pc will be better than one you can buy in canada for $500. This is a fellow canadian who hates our economy as well.=)

First a parts list. Does your cpu have integrated graphics? Have you tested the gpu, assuming that windows is stable enough to run a gpu test? 

A faulty psu can cause frustrating issues. Troubleshoot this. You can even buy another one, connect it to your existing pc, and you already have one step toward a new pc if you choose. I wouldn't trust a lightning struck PSU.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/smartbuyer/components/how-to-troubleshoot-a-pc-power-supply/#:~:text=Locate the 20%2B4P (24,power supply is turned on.

A easy troubleshooting tip is to boot into a memtest os, and run a several hour test on the memory.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/how-to-test-ram

If windows doesn't work it could be corrupted even if its a clean install. Try installing Ubuntu, its free, and can run on a usb stick.

https://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-dual-boot-mode-windows/

Once you have done this then decide whether you still want to build a new pc, and ask us again.

Thank you for these tips I’ll keep them in mind for later on. Sadly my gpu displays no output so I can’t do anything troubleshooting that way. I know I’ll at least need a new gpu and mobo (to fit a new gpu) so I should be good there and maybe a new psi but if my hdd and other things are fine 500 should be more that enough. As well I have found some used deals!

2 minutes ago, RayIsPrime said:

Thank you for these tips I’ll keep them in mind for later on. Sadly my gpu displays no output so I can’t do anything troubleshooting that way. I know I’ll at least need a new gpu and mobo (to fit a new gpu) so I should be good there and maybe a new psi but if my hdd and other things are fine 500 should be more that enough. As well I have found some used deals!

Aye, that is a bummer