Is it safe to run one 8 pin power cable to a gpu that requires 2?

JustinNgos

I just bought the rx 5600xt gaming mx and it requires 2x8 pins and my brothers pcs psu only has 1 8 pin cable. Is it safe to run with just one? If it’s safe to run what port should plug in, right of left?

What model is your brother's PSU? (Not just wattage, but also the brand and model number)

Depending on which PSU you have, it might be safe to get a molex to 8-pin adapter, especially with the relatively tame TDP of the 5600XT

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You'll almost certainly not get a post with just one plugged in. It won't damage anything but it also won't work.

Although, like some models of the RX 580 that used an additional 6 pin connector, one 8 pin might be optional. Nitro + comes to mind.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

What model is your brother's PSU? (Not just wattage, but also the brand and model number)

Depending on which PSU you have, it might be safe to get a molex to 8-pin adapter, especially with the relatively tame TDP of the 5600XT

Um... it came with his prebuilt, off brand crap. I’m guessing 400-430w?

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Although, like some models of the RX 580 that used an additional 6 pin connector, one 8 pin might be optional. Nitro + comes to mind.

Thanks, I’ll just get the psu for my pc now then.

Just now, JustinNgos said:

Um... it came with his prebuilt, off brand crap. I’m guessing 400-430w?

Can you send a picture of the label on the PSU?

Adapters like these do exist: 

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Express-Video-Cable-Adapter/dp/B007Y8FSMQ

https://www.amazon.com/TanQY-2Pack-Molex-Express-Converter/dp/B07HKT5SGR/

BUT they are generally considered much less safe than getting a proper PSU with the correct connections.

If you're on a super tight budget, it may be worth the risk... (I'm currently using one to power a GTX 770 in my mom's old prebuilt) but just so you know, it is more risky.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Can you send a picture of the label on the PSU?

Adapters like these do exist: 

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Express-Video-Cable-Adapter/dp/B007Y8FSMQ

https://www.amazon.com/TanQY-2Pack-Molex-Express-Converter/dp/B07HKT5SGR/

BUT they are generally considered much less safe than getting a proper PSU with the correct connections.

If you're on a super tight budget, it may be worth the risk... (I'm currently using one to power a GTX 770 in my mom's old prebuilt) but just so you know, it is more risky.

You know what, this gpu is for my pc we just bought it early bc it was $90 off so ill just buy the psu now(MWE 750w Gold)

2 minutes ago, JustinNgos said:

You know what, this gpu is for my pc we just bought it early bc it was $90 off so ill just buy the psu now(MWE 750w Gold)

Yeah that PSU is great it'll totally work.

Desktop:

Laptop: