Just a question about my GPUs power!

JustinNgos

I recently purchased a MSI 5600 XT Gaming MX and it requires 2x8 pin power. I have the wattage but I’m just wondering why does it need that much power? The cooler is decent and doesn’t look like it consumes that much. Like the gigabyte Gaming OC one has 3 fans and only needs 8 pin power. Just a question, Thanks!

The fans consume next to no power in comparison to the actual GPU itself. The shroud and cooling solution aren't really a good indicator of power requirements, plenty of manufacturers put absurdly sized coolers on cards that don't need 1/3rd of said cooling capacity.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

Because the power consumption of the card is rated for 150W.

The maximum a PCIe slot can provide is 75W, that's why lower end video cards don't need additional power cables from the PSU.

No but why does it require two 8 pin connectors when one 8 pin connector already provides 150w of power?

Edited by JustinNgos
I spelt “pin” wrong

2 hours ago, JustinNgos said:

No but why does it require two 8 pin connectors when one 8 pin connector already provides 150w of power?

Probably because from an EE (electrical engineering) standpoint, it's better to spread the current load than max out specifications.

It's just one of those axiomatic truisms of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" kinda thing.

9 hours ago, JustinNgos said:

I recently purchased a MSI 5600 XT Gaming MX and it requires 2x8 pin power. I have the wattage but I’m just wondering why does it need that much power?

It doesn't need that much power.

They added the second connector because people see two power connectors and think that the graphics card is better and can overclock more.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450