PSU Just Went Dead and....

TukangUsapEmenq

... I don't know what tf I should do. It's my brother's tho. The system itself only got 3 years since we bought that, and he actually barely used it (like only 8-16 hours per week, depends of what he want to do). It's got a XFX XT 500W. Yes, I know. A cheapo and shady PSU, so probably that's why it went dead just by that long, but at least it's the PSU that went dead, not the components.

Anyway, brother's PC got a a Ryzen 5 1500X, B350M Mortar from MSI, a 1050Ti.

Getting a new PSU likely won't be a choice for a while, especially the nice one like Corsair or Seasonic, my family's economic status's at it's worst lately. Perhaps a secondhand would be a choice if we can got the good one brand. But.. Do you guys recommend it?

While I'm actually searching for secondhand one, I found so many Corsair PSUs, but I can't find the model VX550 and TX650 on the official Corsair site. Both got the black-orange color schemes for the stickers. Well... What do you guys think? Is it a 'fake' PSU or.. Something that's shady enough?

My pops insisting of repairing the PSU (at least to save money), which.... Probably we can but perhaps I won't because there's a big-ass, 400V, one capacitor in there, and I don't have any safety equipment yet for high-voltage power (I'm actually on late-semester electrical engineering study, so probably this PSU can be one hell of a practice for my own, actually).

I actually got a old system, a decade old somehow, that sports a 500W PSU, with the same wiring, but, another shady PSU from MaxPower, and I don't want to take any chance considering the moderate-power (323W-ish on the PSU calculator, but the old system, if I estimate it right, barely touch 100W, only using an old Pentium Dual-core E2160 CPU and nothing else) the system using.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Just now, dhannemon13 said:

While I'm actually searching for secondhand one, I found so many Corsair PSUs, but I can't find the model VX550 and TX650 on the site. Both got the black-orange color schemes for the stickers. Well... What do you guys think? Is it a 'fake' PSU or.. Something that's shady enough?

They're not fake, they're just really old.

You got warranty with that XFX unit?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

They're not fake, they're just really old.

You got warranty with that XFX unit?

Just past the warranty for a few months I think, and.. Since we already opened the PSU (thus breaking the warranty seal either), I thought it wouldn't be a choice anyway.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

8 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

... I don't know what tf I should do. It's my brother's tho. The system itself only got 3 years since we bought that, and he actually barely used it (like only 8-16 hours per week, depends of what he want to do). It's got a XFX XT 500W. Yes, I know. A cheapo and shady PSU, so probably that's why it went dead just by that long, but at least it's the PSU that went dead, not the components.

Anyway, brother's PC got a a Ryzen 5 1500X, B350M Mortar from MSI, a 1050Ti.

Getting a new PSU likely won't be a choice for a while, especially the nice one like Corsair or Seasonic, my family's economic status's at it's worst lately. Perhaps a secondhand would be a choice if we can got the good one brand. But.. Do you guys recommend it?

While I'm actually searching for secondhand one, I found so many Corsair PSUs, but I can't find the model VX550 and TX650 on the official Corsair site. Both got the black-orange color schemes for the stickers. Well... What do you guys think? Is it a 'fake' PSU or.. Something that's shady enough?

My pops insisting of repairing the PSU (at least to save money), which.... Probably we can but perhaps I won't because there's a big-ass, 400V, one capacitor in there, and I don't have any safety equipment yet for high-voltage power (I'm actually on late-semester electrical engineering study, so probably this PSU can be one hell of a practice for my own, actually).

I actually got a old system, a decade old somehow, that sports a 500W PSU, with the same wiring, but, another shady PSU from MaxPower, and I don't want to take any chance considering the moderate-power (323W-ish on the PSU calculator, but the old system, if I estimate it right, barely touch 100W, only using an old Pentium Dual-core E2160 CPU and nothing else) the system using.

Don't repair a psu it's dangerous. That and if you mess one part up and try to use it say by to the system. I would just save up for a good new unit and call it a day. You can totally get by with a 400w unit of decent quality just check the psu tier list and get something from b tier or above.

I do not recommend used psu's due to usage wearing them down. The ones you found are very old and I would not get them at all.

For now save up and get a b tier or better 400w or higher unit from this list:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Don't repair a psu it's dangerous. That and if you mess one part up and try to use it say by to the system. I would just save up for a good new unit and call it a day. You can totally get by with a 400w unit of decent quality just check the psu tier list and get something from b tier or above.

I do not recommend used psu's due to usage wearing them down. The ones you found are very old and I would not get them at all.

For now save up and get a b tier or better 400w or higher unit from this list:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

This. I would not risk buying a cheap psu, which would save me some money in the short term because it could take down the whole system should it fail. Save up and buy a decent PSU.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Don't repair a psu it's dangerous. That and if you mess one part up and try to use it say by to the system.

Yes. This is exactly what I told my pops, I actually don't want to risk it because of the value of the other components (which the most expensive sh*t we all bought), and rather to get a new one (albeit to need wait for a few months) actually. But he's just... Too insisting to fix it. I really dunno how to convince the old man. YouTube video, perhaps?

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Duly noted.

15 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

This. I would not risk buying a cheap psu, which would save me some money in the short term because it could take down the whole system should it fail. Save up and buy a decent PSU.

Yes. And unfortunately most of the PSUs on the tier list, that we can actually afford enough, are on D-tier. I actually found some on C-tier (a Corsair CV450W here), and never mind on B-tier and above because that's way too expensive for us.

Edit. @Fatih19 Since we're basically on the same country anyway wkwk

Any recommendation of online shops that actually got those PSUs ready? I think of EnterKomputer or Rakitan.com but probably another recommendation would be nice.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

5 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Yes. And unfortunately most of the PSUs on the tier list, that we can actually afford enough, are on D-tier. I actually found some on C-tier (a Corsair CV450W here), and never mind on B-tier and above because that's way too expensive for us.

I know this sounds easy to say, but save up. It's just not worth the risk.

6 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Yes. This is exactly what I told my pops, I actually don't want to risk it because of the value of the other components (which the most expensive sh*t we all bought), and rather to get a new one (albeit to need wait for a few months) actually. But he's just... Too insisting to fix it. I really dunno how to convince the old man. YouTube video, perhaps?

I'd say to him that there is a risk of fire, usually that is very convincing.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

I know this sounds easy to say, but save up. It's just not worth the risk.

I'd say to him that there is a risk of fire, usually that is very convincing.

Well... Problem is he already faced so many electrical failures (cable smoking and burning because of an overload from a speaker, and another).

I actually said there's a way more dangerous one, electrified by a 400V, big-ass, capacitor that might be instantly kills someone. Yet he still touched the dang PSU while it's plugged in.

Poko'e susah lah mas. Wong manusia'e emang ngeyel abis dari dulu wkwk

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

35 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Well... Problem is he already faced so many electrical failures (cable smoking and burning because of an overload from a speaker, and another).

I actually said there's a way more dangerous one, electrified by a 400V, big-ass, capacitor that might be instantly kills someone. Yet he still touched the dang PSU while it's plugged in.

Poko'e susah lah mas. Wong manusia'e emang ngeyel abis dari dulu wkwk

Basically I'd tell him that if he somehow manages to fix the psu it will still be a risk to the computer and kill it. If it doesn't do it the moment it is plugged in after trying to fix it. It's as simple as save up have a working computer or kill it by trying to be cheap.