Which x86 Tablet to buy?

I want to buy a tablet, and it should be an x86 one. I'm only 15, and so don't got that much money to spend. I wouldn't spend more than 300€ on it(415USD).

These are my favorites so far:

* DELL Venue 8 Pro(~250€, ~350USD)

* Acer Iconia W3 810(~200€, ~275USD)

They got similar function, the dell one got a quad-core with a better IGGFX than the Iconia, but a slower clock speed(1.33GHz instead of 1.8 GHz), instead of a dual-core.

But is it worth the extra money? Someone can share their experience with one of those tablets, or maybe got a better suggestion?

Here are the things, that I will do mainly:

* SSH with X11 forwarding/RDP/VNC/TeamViewer to diffrent places

* Maybe run a small VM using Virtual Box

* Try to install some kind of Linux on it, properbly dual-boot, and a block-file on the windows-drive using Grub2

* Scripting in LUA, maybe (W)LAN debugging

* Watching movies while I should sleep :D

* Take notes in school, play minecraft in school :D

Some of those things are Graphic-Demanding(RDP/Video watching) and maybe CPU-demanding(VBox).

I would buy one of them anyway, but which? I tend to buy the Venue, but I'm not sure, if that's even necessary. Any tips welcome!

Greets,

max1220

It is definitely worth the extra money. It has a much nicer screen than the Iconia's TN panel.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Eh, why not just get a decent android tablet instead of a crappy wannabe-laptop? I think the features that you get with x86 would just be so painful to use on those things that it wouldn't be worth it in the first place.

Just my opinion though...

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

It is definitely worth the extra money. It has a much nicer screen than the Iconia's TN panel.

Well, as far as I know, the "new" W3 (The 810 one, not the 800) has a IPS display now. You can't even get the old one anymore...

Eh, why not just get a decent android tablet instead of a crappy wannabe-laptop? I think the features that you get with x86 would just be so painful to use on those things that it wouldn't be worth it in the first place.

Just my opinion though...

I was playing with the Idea of an android Tablet, but I want to maybe replace my old Netbook with this, and I sometimes need x86. Also, you can't directly compare ARM and x86. An quadcore-ARM is way slower than an Pentium 4.(From what I've heared)

Also, those things have USB-ports, and keyboard "docks". You could use them as a Netbook-replacement(It would be at least faster then my X101H, wich is great, just old. Also, I could use that as a minecraft/Teamspeak server then, without needing to kill the Servers when I fell like I need some kind of PC with me, as I do now). Also, I find android tablets kinda useless, since they're just oversized phones, without mobile data/phone functionality. I got a nexus 4 & I'm totally fine with it. It servers all my android needs!

I also updated the thread.

Thanks anyways guys!

Not just that, but the Venue 8 Pro also has a much speedier CPU and faster GPU.  

COMIC SANS

Ok, I've looked it up again, looks like the W810 still gots a crappy display. But is more cores = better performance, even if the cores have a lower linear clock speed? I'm not quite up with Atom SoC's. Any thoughts welcome!

The dell venue 8 looks like the better choice. If you find a bit of extra cash down the back of the sofa then the Lenovo Thinkpad 8 looks pretty great too. A 2012 nexus 7 running ubuntu touch might be worth looking at too, not very powerful, but you can get one very very cheaply these days.

• 1 month later...

There's also Asus VivoTab Note 8

Here's a good comparison video.

If you can pull some strings to get a more funds... the Thinkpad 8 would be a better longer term investment.

I helped my sister get the Thinkpad 8.  The Thinkpad 8 has microhdmi out, 64GB , the 1920 x 1200 screen is crisp and bright. also the non win8 pro edition comes with office 2013 free (then again office 365 is under $2/mo for students).   Surprisingly quick.  If you plan to get the Dell, get the 32GB.   A few extra bucks goes a long way.  

Also note, these tablets come with only 2GB ram.  Virtuabox uses up all ram the VM is given... so that might be a consideration.

Other thoughts:

Got my nephew a thinkpad twist, since it's touchscreen, as well as easily alternate boot.  Comes with two drives (7mm HDD and 24GB msata, oddly not advertised)... one I installed OSX maverick (because he had a class that did ios app... no way I'm getting a mac just for that!), and other I replaced with SSD.  Look in the lenovo outlet and you can find one around the price of a thinkpad 8.  It's a little more heftier than a tablet, but it's much more versatile.  Not sure also about alternate booting for tablets.. I'm sure there's hacks, but not the standard plug and play for laptops.

My Rigs (past and present)

Get Nexus 7 2013 with bluetooth keyboard. :P

Go with the Venue 8 Pro.  It's a great little device with a good price, and you get office with it too.  The Asus VivoTab Note 8 is more expensive than the Venue 8 Pro, but comes with an active (Wacom) digitizer and pen.  The Venue 8 PRo does have an active digitizer but you currently can't get the stylus as there are issues with the hardware.  If you don't need or want the active digitizer go with the Venue 8 Pro and you won't be disappointed.

As mentioned above, you may want to consider a device with more RAM for your uses, although within your budget constraints, that may not be possible.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

If you got the money a ASUS T100 is a great option it even comes with a keyboard and free office.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860