MSI B360m gaming plus replacement

Go to solution Solved by Eighjan,
1 minute ago, Skepti said:

Ah, hence the the comment on full upgrade as my current CPU would not work in an LGA1200 board?

Indeed it won't... Intel 10th Gen., only

However... AMD 4xx & 5xx chipset 'boards should support PCI-e 4.0 graphics cards.

I have what is a computer that is kinda sufficient for my current needs but I think my MB will hold me back for future upgrade-ability (it already limits RAM upgrade due to speed). The particulars of the build are:

- Silverstone PS15 case

- Silverstone 500w 80 plus PSU

- MSI B360m gaming plus

- Intel Core I5 9400F   

- GTX 1660 super

What i am looking for is some advice on what a good board upgrade in this build would be (ill probably want to throw a RTX 3000 series in there at some point). 

I have what is a computer that is kinda sufficient for my current needs but I think my MB will hold me back for future upgrade-ability (it already limits RAM upgrade due to speed). The particulars of the build are:

- Silverstone PS15 case

- Silverstone 500w 80 plus PSU

- MSI B360m gaming plus

- Intel Core I5 9400F   

- GTX 1660 super

What i am looking for is some advice on what a good board upgrade in this build would be (ill probably want to throw a RTX 3000 series in there at some point). 

If you want to run an RTX 3xxx at PCI-e 4.0, you'll need a total system upgrade.

Otherwise, any X370 'board should get the job done.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

X370 is for AMD, for upgrading your current system, your only options are Z370 and Z390. If you go with a Z370 you might need to flash a new BIOS for compatibility, which would require an 8th gen Intel CPU.

1 minute ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

X370 is for AMD, for upgrading your current system, your only options are Z370 and Z390. If you go with a Z370 you might need to flash a new BIOS for compatibility, which would require an 8th gen Intel CPU.

Ooops - so it is - I DID mean Z370.

Z370 is NOT 9th Gen. ready...??

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

If you want to run an RTX 3xxx at PCI-e 4.0, you'll need a total system upgrade.

Thanks for the reply. I assume you mean a Z370 for an intel CPU? Also, are there any Micro-ATX boards that have PCI-e 4.0? or will i just need to go for a regular size rig? 

3 minutes ago, Skepti said:

I assume you mean a Z370 for an intel CPU?

Yup - genuine typo.

All LGA1200 'boards have PCI-e 4.0, AFAIK... if you want to go Intel.

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Yup - genuine typo.

All LGA1200 'boards have PCI-e 4.0, AFAIK.

Ah, hence the the comment on full upgrade as my current CPU would not work in an LGA1200 board?

Indeed it won't... Intel 10th Gen., only

However... AMD 4xx & 5xx chipset 'boards should support PCI-e 4.0 graphics cards.

WHY NOT...?!

I don't see why you would want to invest your money into buying a new motherboard that won't support any new CPUs. If you are planning to buy a new CPU, sure, you will have to buy a new motherboard regardless. But buying a motherboard solely for better RAM speeds isn't a good investment at all. And about the new NVIDIA cards... I suggest waiting for the benchmarks to see if PCIE Gen4 is really necessary for RTX 30 cards to perform well before jumping to conclusions.