Issue With Charging Latitude E5570

I've got a Dell Latitude E5570 that was given to me about a year ago. I used it for a while before it stopped charging over the port last December. Essentially the charging light on the charger would turn off when the laptop was plugged in. It could still charge over a dock, which I had access to, so I used that for a while. Then even that stopped working over the summer. From what I could find and tested it seemed to be a bad capacitor or transistor in the charging circuit so I bought a new motherboard for it, installed it last night then tested plugging it in without the battery and again the charger light turned off. 

I've tried plugging in just the adapter to the charger without being connected to the motherboard and the light stays on so I'm not sure what the issue could be. Any ideas LTT community?

do you have access to a multimeter to check the power output of the charge brick and the resistance across the charge plug on the laptop? 
JayZTwoCents went through something similar with the plug coming loose on this laptop but I would think it's a short causing the power brick to go into safety open circuit whenever its plugged in.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

• 2 weeks later...

@GhostRoadieBL Been about a week but finally got my hands on a multimeter. The charge brick and the internal charge plug are fine. From the wall to the connector on the plug I get the expected voltage for the power brick. So once again I'm not sure what's wrong here

1 hour ago, va7icana55asin said:

From the wall to the connector on the plug I get the expected voltage for the power brick

that's about as far as my experience would get me, next step would be opening up the laptop and tracing the power traces to the battery but I could never recommend that to anyone short of a repair tech. I wouldn't even know how the board is laid out to tell you what pins to check. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

@GhostRoadieBL Oof. Yeah I've tried a number of things at this point and the fact that it does it even with a new motherboard is odd. I might try and repost this to get some more opinions but we'll see. Thanks for your help though

The problem may be your charge port. I know that you said that you could charge it via dock, but perhaps the charge port broke too? I have worked on quite a few Dell laptops, the this kind of issue seems to often be related to a bad charge port.