ASUS X570-F vs B550-F

Go to solution Solved by Haro,

iirc, the vrm on both is identical, and b550 allows the lanes that are wired to the cpu to be gen 4 and the chipset it self is gen 3 while x570 is gen 4 across the whole board assuming you're running a zen 2 chip, the b550 strix f is a pretty solid board.

though i would change a couple of things in this build. budget for the build? and workload?

I was hoping to establish the clear difference between these boards and what features justify the $100 AUD price difference.

I understand the X570 board offers support for SLI and has additional USB Ports etc. Is there anything different? I was reading online that the B550 has 3.0 General Purpose Lanes while the X570 has 4.0, I don't really know what that means, unfortunately.

Any assistance is appreciated so i can make the right decision.

If it helps at all here is the build it will be accompanying including a ASUS RTX 3080

spacer.png

iirc, the vrm on both is identical, and b550 allows the lanes that are wired to the cpu to be gen 4 and the chipset it self is gen 3 while x570 is gen 4 across the whole board assuming you're running a zen 2 chip, the b550 strix f is a pretty solid board.

though i would change a couple of things in this build. budget for the build? and workload?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'm happy to receive an feedback on the build, the budget is $4000 Australian Dollars, and will be mainly used for 1440p gaming and photo editing. I will more than likely consider a move to 4K at some point in the future. But just to clarify will their be any performance disadvantage related to choosing the B550 board vs X570?

10 hours ago, Isaiah9876 said:

But just to clarify will their be any performance disadvantage related to choosing the B550 board vs X570?

For the most part no, as i said the b550 strix f's vrm is identical iirc and it's an all around solid board. 

as for the build, wait for ampere to come out (already has been announced) and if the build is planned later this year or so, wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

For the most part no, as i said the b550 strix f's vrm is identical iirc and it's an all around solid board. 

as for the build, wait for ampere to come out (already has been announced) and if the build is planned later this year or so, wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer.

WIll do, i was already planning to build with an Ampere card and i was tossing up whether or not it was worth waiting for Ryzen 4000.

10 hours ago, Isaiah9876 said:

i was tossing up whether or not it was worth waiting for Ryzen 4000.

Yeah if leaks are one thing to go by, it seems promising if possible wait.

Build Log: