Dirt Cheap Power

Sinole

Hi everyone

I wanted to know hat are your thought on this "Apevia ATX-JP1000" its a 69 dollars power supply rated for 1000 W it has 80+ bronze rating. but common it bought 500w silver power supplies for that price not even gold. Is this a reputable brand? can i trust this unit? or better asked, have anyone used to tested it befor?

4 minutes ago, Sinole said:

Hi everyone

I wanted to know hat are your thought on this "Apevia ATX-JP1000" its a 69 dollars power supply rated for 1000 W it has 80+ bronze rating. but common it bought 500w silver power supplies for that price not even gold. Is this a reputable brand? can i trust this unit? or better asked, have anyone used to tested it befor?

Probably no good. Can't find any reviews of it. You almost certainly do t need 1000W so why risk it on a cheapo unit. Get a well reviewed 550 or 650W unit

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

4 minutes ago, Sinole said:

Apevia ATX-JP1000

That power supply is more than a decade old and it uses an outdated platform. Are you looking at buying it second hand? After 11 years I'd be surprised if they're still being made/sold.

If your system requires a 1000W PSU then you should not be buying such an old, crappy, low quality power supply. If you don't need a 1000W PSU then there are better quality PSUs around the 550W mark for similar price range.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

i build computers on a regular, it was something i saw on amazon. if it works even for life of its warranty up to expectation sounds like a very good offer.

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

That power supply is more than a decade old and it uses an outdated platform. Are you looking at buying it second hand? After 11 years I'd be surprised if they're still being made/sold.

If your system requires a 1000W PSU then you should not be buying such an old, crappy, low quality power supply. If you don't need a 1000W PSU then there are better quality PSUs around the 550W mark for similar price range.

its a brand new listing on amazon, what are you talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-ATX-JP1000-Jupiter-Certified-Crossfire/dp/B07817VQJM/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=1000w+power+supply&qid=1599121473&sr=8-6

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

well, i guess the listing sounds a little wired and outdated now that you say it. lol , supports dual core and quad core CPUs. oooooooooooooo

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Better to get a good 500w PSU than a fire hazard 1000w.

lol i actually have had a power supply just blow up on me mid game. I was playing return to Krondor 20 years ago. that was my first costume computer that someone made for me. you are right, its pretty scary. thanks

13 minutes ago, Sinole said:

Wow, and that's the Apevia store on Amazon too not a third party seller selling old/"refurbished" stuff. They must still be making them after all this time. Or they just have lots of really old stock they couldn't get rid of...

That model of PSU received its 80+ certification back in 2009, so it's been around for at least a decade.

image.png.148157d92d7c2b82eb638c83b1a10b77.png

Though maybe it's actually a new model but they were too cheap to have it recertified for 80+ so they just re-used the same model number and testing report (which you aren't supposed to do but who knows with Apevia...)

Being old doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Apevia does have quite the reputation for making garbage PSUs though, especially around the 2000s period. There's no information or reviews for the PSU so I would go with the assumption that it's garbage until proven otherwise.

Oh god... I hope someone doesn't see "1000W" and buy this PSU to use with an RTX 3090.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

yeh, you don't wana do something to crazy with 70$ power supply , like over clocking a X platform cpu or powring a 3090. I was thinking more in terms of efficiency and stability for a cheap system. but thank you for the great info.

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Wow, and that's the Apevia store on Amazon too not a third party seller selling old/"refurbished" stuff. They must still be making them after all this time. Or they just have lots of really old stock they couldn't get rid of...

That model of PSU received its 80+ certification back in 2009, so it's been around for at least a decade.

image.png.148157d92d7c2b82eb638c83b1a10b77.png

Though maybe it's actually a new model but they were too cheap to have it recertified for 80+ so they just re-used the same model number (which you aren't supposed to do but who knows with Apevia...)

Being old doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Apevia does have quite the reputation for making garbage PSUs though, especially around the 2000s period. There's no information or reviews for the PSU so I would go with the assumption that it's garbage until proven otherwise.

Oh god... I hope someone doesn't see "1000W" and buy this PSU to use with an RTX 3090.

dont worry , it doesnt have that many power leads anyway. just 1 6+2 :)

10 minutes ago, Sinole said:

dont worry , it doesnt have that many power leads anyway. just 1 6+2 :)

It has 4x PCIe power connectors, according to the Amazon description and Apevia's website.

4 x 6+2 Pin PCI - Express

Though even if it only had 1 it probably still wouldn't stop someone from using it with an RTX 3090. They'd just use SATA to PCIe adapter cables and wonder why there's a burnt plastic smell coming from their PC.

Nobody tested this PSU, so we don't know if it's actually 1000W. It might as well be just a 400W power supply with a 1000W label. Nobody knows if it provides safe power to the components either, instead of dangerous power. And nobody knows if its components are durable enough to last 6 months or anytime longer.

Decent 500 watt power supply $53 after rebate:

https://www.newegg.com/evga-500-bq-110-bq-0500-k1-500w/p/N82E16817438101?item=N82E16817438101&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL090320&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL090320-_-EMC-090320-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17438101-S1A8A&ignorebbr=1

If for some reason you actually need 1000 watts:

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-platinum-se-sf-1000f14mp-1000w/p/1HU-024C-00009

It's 3 times the price of the one you linked but if you actually need that much power I wouldn't spend less

Years back when I first got into building, I built a system with an apevia power supply. After 3 months of normal performance with occasional BSODs I took a multimeter to it. Variances were out of spec, and replacing it fixed all my performance issues. Don't cheap out on your psu