FX DAC-X6 audio issues

Andrew279cz

Hey guys,

my new FX Audio DAC-X6 finally arrived. But I have this issue.

There is a strong crackling/noise sound that is very noticeable in everything. From Windows sounds to YT videos and games.

I noticed some very cheap headphones have this same issue, with certain frequencies being completly out of range.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598SR (sound perfectly fine with my onboard mobo audio (X299 Dark))

Read about Audio Jumpers and high/low impedance headphones, but I want to consult you first before opening it up and loosing the ability to RMA.

Just another human interested in computers

-Main rig-

i7 3930k @ 4.3Ghz/1.31V, Asus Maximus IV Formula, 4x4GB 1750Mhz/CL9, Evga 1080ti FTW3 @ 2100Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + WD Black 2TB, Fractal Meshify C, 1x 1080p 144hz and 1x 1080p 60hz

Low impedance headphones won't sound good with them as they can be quite sensitive to noise and such. The dac x6 has a output impedance of about 10 ohms so you generally want something above 80 or to be safe a 100 ohms as you generally want your output impedance/ headphone Impedance ratio to be 1/8or 1/10 this is particularly true with iems and dynamic driver based headphones. With plants it is a bit different.

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

Low impedance headphones won't sound good with them as they can be quite sensitive to noise and such. The dac x6 has a output impedance of about 10 ohms so you generally want something above 80 or to be safe a 100 ohms as you generally want your output impedance/ headphone Impedance ratio to be 1/8or 1/10

So, should changing the jumper to low impedance help or will it stay the same?
Did I waste almost $80?

-Main rig-

i7 3930k @ 4.3Ghz/1.31V, Asus Maximus IV Formula, 4x4GB 1750Mhz/CL9, Evga 1080ti FTW3 @ 2100Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + WD Black 2TB, Fractal Meshify C, 1x 1080p 144hz and 1x 1080p 60hz

Just now, Andrew279cz said:

So, should changing the jumper to low impedance help or will it stay the same?
Did I waste almost $80?

It might change. But it could also be an issue only way to find out really is to plug a high ish impedance headphone into it. If you can I would return it and buy something more suited to lower impedance gear. IMO the only reason to buy the dac x6 these days is if you want to drive a 250 ohm Beyer for cheaply 

Will try the jumper, give me a few minutes,

These? They are so goddamn cheap.

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-990-pro.html

-Main rig-

39 minutes ago, rice guru said:

It might change. But it could also be an issue only way to find out really is to plug a high ish impedance headphone into it. If you can I would return it and buy something more suited to lower impedance gear. IMO the only reason to buy the dac x6 these days is if you want to drive a 250 ohm Beyer for cheaply 

Switched position of jumpers (stock position was both furthest from headphone jack). No difference, only slightly louder.

So I guess the DAC goes on the shelf, waiting for something with more impedance. 

Back to using adapters to 3,5mm......

-Main rig-

It's not your headphones. It's the unit from a defective batch. No fix found yet. Return it if you can.