Is it possible to turn a PSU into an external power brick?

farzher

i'm building a tiny pc. the psu is huge.

i've considered HDplex with the 330w dell powerbrick. but it's expensive and hard to find and maybe not enough power.

i think it'd be really nice if i could simply have my psu external to the case! BUT the dang connectors are so difficult to unplug.

i have a modular psu. i'm using only 3 cables in total. the big mobo one and two 8 pins for the cpu and gpu.

do "quick release" connectors exist? or anything that's easier to unplug, or maybe a diy solution but that sounds unsafe. any ideas?

Is it a standard itx case or custom? If it's a standard itx they do make smaller power supplies. Will an SFX PSU not work?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

If you want a small PC then consider using a case like in this video:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

i don't have a case yet because i don't like how big or expensive they all are.

i've been using my pc for about 2 years now with no case at all, lol. considering 3d printing one to fit the hardware perfectly. but idk what to do about my obese PSU

i currently have a SFX PSU, not too small though because i heard the fans are loud

qJtQYrQjUQ7PkHJj4b3aa7Kj19yoqwH69L_2RW9CJorgQIIHO5VQCqNO4FV1M0edX8hP4UCw-8Yid1Hb_wBb0_vA_XTALmkGGOH6F2ClLyn9zu3NwAHNWn67twOgpNFbUbWbQKIvMHVwUIFcpoV20tHU77yTFe3loau3YN-pDZhIK57OAuJsotZuQOOGz_tPLY7uTaRyFmsoXF1TJyVlshF8PPBIEYCXwZ_J7ba4kUmuk2m-wHXpcgslOJ6OgR2OxmhGHM2XgdPIZVOh53DVDG-pj-ZqavJTFstsLC5uS8mDqgbOtyObzawZ_JIIXScblv8Jkk5zIgaZwe8pJd1sFfUkfpSPDpP53I78nWDzVMaIU9I35SisOC2iH0aYj40IRcLoTR34UbEsYVL7iFBrnkdEc_Kwg9yOBiz4QC4h5BP4lcZBLjWRnXESy0AbXbM6C-CfK1RA_qcfgZ1GY65TXXK5HbES0-fP-ym79iypVegPQ39NyYb8gJQ3wetOrZxmNZj40O0sLJgXCwvfTDx6qFeMKYYza96q5e3HTIa9AvP1hjpdDCzKv6wizM5rm15p23rcSFM-Rb2lyApmqODHuNgQ_Dh877pzG6PUEwXQNwVKcseWqKJ8ssCN0E1X_cKV6SDhDClQdRHc0xFRZ7QYgUAby5GC2c_CatOojLnlpcP7URscS5h0tJnxpfHAXnk=w1878-h1057-no?authuser=0

well i made an external power adaptor from an old psu a while back its reliable but i dont recommend it

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

have a look at thin-ITX boards that have barrel plug in the back.

though i dont think they can take in a GPU, as they're reliant on iGPU.

but if you want to modify your PSU, you could use XLR ports for the 24-pin's different voltage and sensor pins.

and maybe a separate plug for 12v and GND for high power stuff like CPU and GPU.

though make sure you know what you're doing, and choose a suitable PSU

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

maybe i could like sand the plastic around the connectors down so it's not such a struggle to unplug them. if that'd work that sounds like a decent solution

18 minutes ago, farzher said:

maybe i could like sand the plastic around the connectors down so it's not such a struggle to unplug them. if that'd work that sounds like a decent solution

Don't do that. You could just split the cable from the PSU in the middle and reconnect it with a industrial multipin connector, for example Harting or Toughcon. Or you could get a DC-DC PSU and an external 12V (or whatever the DC-DC PSU needs) power brick.

21 minutes ago, farzher said:

but idk what to do about my obese PSU

There are pico ATX PSUs which are significantly smaller.

The problem with pico PSUs is that 90% of them are of questionable quality and potentially dangerous...

High-quality-PCI-E-6Pin-input-12V-250W-D

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Don't do that. You could just split the cable from the PSU in the middle and reconnect it with a industrial multipin connector, for example Harting or Toughcon. Or you could get a DC-DC PSU and an external 12V (or whatever the DC-DC PSU needs) power brick.

dang, was hoping that'd be the solution.

what you said is a bit beyond my comprehension. do you have a link to a guide on doing something like that?

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

There are pico ATX PSUs which are significantly smaller.

The problem with pico PSUs is that 90% of them are of questionable quality and potentially dangerous...

yeah those are cool. HDPlex 400w looks like a really good option. basically a better pico psu. but it's just really expensive, and maybe not enough power

Just now, farzher said:

yeah those are cool. HDPlex looks like a really good option. basically a better pico psu. but it's just really expensive

This one seems decent:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W52YJBW/

wholesale-x3-atx-300-300w-high-power-24p

3 minutes ago, farzher said:

does it not say this for you?:

Currently unavailable.

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Amazon's system is location based,so you never know if it's just for you or others as well.

Anyway if you search the model name it's easy to find it in other stores:

https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-05BC-095X5

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Amazon's system is location based,so you never know if it's just for you or others as well.

Anyway if you search the model name it's easy to find it in other stores:

https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-05BC-095X5

https://aliexpress.com/item/747813627.html

$100 PLUS $60 or whatever for the 330w dell power brick

20 minutes ago, farzher said:

what you said is a bit beyond my comprehension. do you have a link to a guide on doing something like that?

No. It should be pretty straight forward. Just cut a lead and connect it to the same pin on the male connector and the female connector. A PSU may have many pins, but it's just plain old DC and there are no HF signal lines to worry about. But it will cost you: A set of connectors is at least 40$ and you need a contact pin crimp tool. 
grafik.png.93b39b9c1da4f7576edf3b402aa8a4cb.png