GPU vs CPU upgrade

Daniel_1104

Hi guys so iv got about £800 to play with and my systems fairly old. i7 3770k OC@4.6ghz, 16gb 1600mhz DDr3 Ram, GTX 1070ti. I’m looking to buy either a new ryzen 4th/intel 11th CPU, mobo and Ram or a new GPU. 

I mainly game and my CPU doesn’t really bottle neck my GPU because I play at 4k 60hz. I’m looking to buy either a RTX 3080 or Ryzen 4700 but i’m not exactly sure what would be best for me. I’m leaning towards the 3080 as my CPU doesn’t bottleneck at the moment but i’m not sure if it will with that much GPU power.

So what should I get? A new GPU or a New CPU to play at 4k?

A 3770 even at that clockspeed is at it's limits with a 1070ti basically. A new gpu will allow you to turn up the eyecandy but fps won't increase much if at all which doesn't matter for you as you aim for 4k. Either way we do not have any concrete performance numbers of any new gpu or cpu so just wait. Might also want to look at the used market after launch of the new cards (be it nvidia or amd) and snag something from there for cheap.

1 minute ago, Daniel_1104 said:

Hi guys so iv got about £800 to play with and my systems fairly old. i7 3770k OC@4.6ghz, 16gb 1600mhz DDr3 Ram, GTX 1070ti. I’m looking to buy either a new ryzen 4th/intel 11th CPU, mobo and Ram or a new GPU. 

I mainly game and my CPU doesn’t really bottle neck my GPU because I play at 4k 60hz. I’m looking to buy either a RTX 3080 or Ryzen 4700 but i’m not exactly sure what would be best for me. I’m leaning towards the 3080 as my CPU doesn’t bottleneck at the moment but i’m not sure if it will with that much GPU power.

So what should I get? A new GPU or a New CPU to play at 4k?

Thats a tough one. If it werent 4K I  would definitely say CPU, as the 1070Ti is still very good.

You say you have £800 to play with. If you could sell your 1070ti for at least £250,  I would suggest a full CPU, GPU, RAM and Motherboard upgrade. You could get the zen 3 ryzen 5 part for hopefully £200, then a 3080, 16GB ram (only about £60 at the moment) and then a solid £110-140 B550 board.

I would just wait and see about the pricing on the 3080 (hopefully not long now) and of course this relies on your PSU still being adequate

Alternatively you could probably sell the whole system for a fair bit and pool that to build a complete new build

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

After the new GPU announcement it seems like the CPU has got less to do with the system memory being used less. So would the RTX 3080 be a better fit then?