What's the point of dual loop?

Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
3 minutes ago, HueyLaurn said:

What are you trying to do? Cool down the sun?

I don't understand the point of dual loops, one for the CPU and one for the GPU, because(from what I read) as long as your GPU is under 89 Celsius you won't thermal throttle. Am I missing something or...? :/

Not missing anything. People do it for looks, there is no performance benefit to be had.

Technically..... splitting them up lowers CPU temps as the GPU is kicking out more heat, but in reality, yea it doesn’t matter. A custom loop won’t ever run parts too lot unless it doesn’t have enough rad space, or your pushing an overclock beyond what can be cooler via conventional cooling. 

I don't understand the point of dual loops, one for the CPU and one for the GPU, because(from what I read) as long as your GPU is under 89 Celsius you won't thermal throttle. Am I missing something or...? :/

3 minutes ago, HueyLaurn said:

Not missing anything. People do it for looks, there is no performance benefit to be had.

Technically..... splitting them up lowers CPU temps as the GPU is kicking out more heat, but in reality, yea it doesn’t matter. A custom loop won’t ever run parts too lot unless it doesn’t have enough rad space, or your pushing an overclock beyond what can be cooler via conventional cooling. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

12 minutes ago, HueyLaurn said:

(from what I read) as long as your GPU is under 89 Celsius you won't thermal throttle. Am I missing something or...? :/

You lose boost potential. Idk what the exact scaling , but Nvidia's boost technology will allow you to run higher clock at lower temps. With my loop I can run my 2080 Ti at 2160MHz without issue. If it was running at 88C, it would try to clock itself down to something like 1850. Does this have much real world benefit? Not really. But neither does even a single loop lol. Water cooling is not about making sense.

Not sure what dual loops and 89 degrees have to do with each other.

Maybe I like to swap my cards before my cpu, which was common when cpu's could actually keep up with the next gen card.

Heat isolation, thus potentially less noise depending on system setup.

Looks and maintenance being another reason. Why not do it?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Not sure what dual loops and 89 degrees have to do with each other.

A dual loop keeps things more cool, but just having one loop already gives you the maximum performance.  

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Heat isolation, thus potentially less noise depending on system setup.

Looks and maintenance being another reason. Why not do it?

Wouldn't having more fans cause more noise? Also how does a dual loop help with maintenance since you need to double the maintenance since you have two loops to take care of. Also a reason not to do it is just because of the extra hundreds of dollars that you would need.

13 minutes ago, HueyLaurn said:

A dual loop keeps things more cool, but just having one loop already gives you the maximum performance.  

Wouldn't having more fans cause more noise? Also how does a dual loop help with maintenance since you need to double the maintenance since you have two loops to take care of. Also a reason not to do it is just because of the extra hundreds of dollars that you would need.

Its also about staying as far from thermal equilibrium as possible.  The max temp your loop hits (water) affects the ability for it to carry heat away from the blocks.  When you add another block in the mix there is more voltage of heat being absorbed so the loop water temperature will be increased thus affectings its ability to cool down the blocks as well.

I run 10 fans on my CPU/GPU loop - depends on the fans, and the speeds you run them at.  

The maintenance, for me, has nothing to do with pulling a valve and draining the loop - its about cleaning out the radiators (Im looking at you dust).

Spending money is not a reason not to do something if you have the money to spend/desire to do so.  I also source all my parts from china direct and pay pennies on the dollar for my blocks, pumps, rads, fittings, tubing - and use antifreeze as the coolant - compared to buying them stateside.   I could easily do two loops in my case, enough room, I just dont feel like doing it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

19 minutes ago, HueyLaurn said:

Dual can potentially keep things cooler. With no details that can’t be said. 
It’s the same amount of fans with a dual or single loop. The point being if only one device is being taxed, only those fans would spin up. And you lose cooling potential. But that comes down to the actual setup and fan config. Just vague statements with zero details but having two loops. 
Maintenance is double but you can also design the loops better to drain with ease compared to the average single loop. 
another pump and two more fittings isn’t hundreds of dollars. So that isn’t a good reason not to.  

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz