Wondering if i should get a new psu

Fillebotten
Go to solution Solved by Gorilla Warfare,

Should be fine to use , but at 10+ years old , should be changed at any sign of system issues.

Hey i have a hx1000w corsair psu that i bought used about 2 years ago and when looking up the model of this psu it was created 11 years ago and since im going to build a new system in about 4 months i was wondering if i need to prioritize the psu before the other components, these are the components im going to be buying:

Case: Lian li lancool II Mesh rgb black (will be using the 3 fans that come with the case as intake and 3 lian li bora digital black as outtake at the rear and top of the case)

Mobo: Msi mag b550M mortar wifi

Ram: G. Skill Trident Z Neo drr4 3600mhz cl16 16gb (2x8gb)

Gpu: (Already have) Geforce 1060 6gb dual oc (i will buy powercolor radeon rx 5700xt 8gb red devil once i get the money for it)

Cpu: Amd ryzen 5 3600

Cpu fan: Stock fan that you get with cpu (will be buying Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black once i have the money)

So will i be able to run the system that i will have in 4 months (not the stuff inside () except the fans) with this 11 year old psu for about maximum 1 year or will I have to buy a corsair rm750x 750w v2 for example to run the pc?

Dont see why you need 1KW psu when your new system will only need 450W-550W max.

3 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

Dont see why you need 1KW psu when your new system will only need 450W-550W max.

i bought that used psu 2 years ago and it was created about 10 years ago my question is will it still hold up and should i still use it or should i buy a new psu when im building the new system

Yeah that PSU will be fine, but is overkill. If you want to get new psu then do so

2 minutes ago, Fillebotten said:

i bought that used psu 2 years ago and it was created about 10 years ago my question is will it still hold up and should i still use it or should i buy a new psu when im building the new system

Will probably be fine since it's a Corsair PSU but maybe get a newer one after you max out your performance

Just now, Som3a said:

Will probably be fine since it's a Corsair PSU but maybe get a newer one after you max out your performance

Alright thank you for you answer

Should be fine to use , but at 10+ years old , should be changed at any sign of system issues.

13 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

what could those system issues be for example?

Instability , could be freezing ,  sudden shutdowns etc. It was at the time a very very good PSU. So most likely should be fine for awhile.

2 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

Instability , could be freezing ,  sudden shutdowns etc. It was at the time a very very good PSU. So most likely should be fine for awhile.

Alright thanks for answering i will keep it until i get the money to be a new one but if i see any system issues i will try to get the money and buy it quicker

59 minutes ago, Fillebotten said:

If you're planning on building a new system you should not use a 10+ year old power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450