Project Zero Cables - The Cleanest Desk Setup EVER

NickHeavy

This may be the first DIY video i've seen where the plans are provided and the video doesn't start with "i'll be showing you how to do all of this if you are a beginner, first you need to power on your $20,000 worth of shop tools"

the router is the most expensive tool, but it's only $100-$300 depending on country and brand. not bad.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Sorry Linus and @NickHeavy, but this is the first video in a while where I had to dislike it.

It seems as if this project was rushed.  Here are just a few of the problems.

• You could have counter sunk the metal bar holding in the wireless charging unit.  It looks manky the way it is now.
  • The cables are not secured very well underneath the table in the counter sunk runs.  I thought Linus was proud of his cable management in computers, why not here.
  • It would have been better if you hid the monitors power brick in the table, or extended the lead.  How it is now, it seems that the brick could jammed between the wall and desk leg, or the cord could be damaged.
  • plus more...

It seems that Linus also agrees with the sentiment that it was a rushed job at the end of the video.  Linus's suggestions wouldn't have taken very long either.

Additionally, DYI Perks did a better desk that looks similar just a few days ago. 

I watched video twice, not sure if I missed it . . . what thickness of plywood did you use?

anyone knows what Monitor arm/Mount is he using? i really want to buy that because it can be fully adjustable. hope someone would reply

i think the only thing i would do different is the channels under the desk top is to round the corners so there are no 90 degree bends.

Does that monitor wobble when typing on the keyboard?

It doesn't look like that tabletop has much mass. I've used Ergotron monitor arms and they work wonderfully on desks that are on the heavier side. On lighter desks it seems like there is always a little bit of wobble no matter how tight the clamp is made.

3 hours ago, 4K Ultra Noob said:

anyone knows what Monitor arm/Mount is he using? i really want to buy that because it can be fully adjustable. hope someone would reply

1 inch, Linus mentions it at 5:20.

6 hours ago, 4K Ultra Noob said:

it came with the monitor

0:48

4 hours ago, egrant said:

Does that monitor wobble when typing on the keyboard?

It doesn't look like that tabletop has much mass. I've used Ergotron monitor arms and they work wonderfully on desks that are on the heavier side. On lighter desks it seems like there is always a little bit of wobble no matter how tight the clamp is made.

I have a wood desk that i made, its about the same size but only two layers of 3/4" compared to their two 1" layers. I have a armature for my 27" monitor and it doesnt wobble at all when typing. I dont know if they have adjustable feet on theirs, if not then that could add some wobble to the desk, but overall solid wood/plywood desk are really solid.

@4K Ultra Noob They state 1" per layers, so 2" total. If your not putting in the HUB two 3/4" layers works fine. 

12 hours ago, TheBigCheems said:

Could you guys make a cadd file for this?

I've made a rough CAD model od the desk. I had to make a few assumptions as the plan was missing a few dimensions (Some were mentioned in the video). I'm attaching SW 2020 and STEP files.

@NickHeavy I hope that's okay I'm sharing this.

Table_assembly.SLDASM Table_assembly.STEP Table_leg.SLDPRT Table_leg.STEP Table_top.SLDPRT Table_top.STEP

6 hours ago, jamaniek said:

I've made a rough CAD model od the desk. I had to make a few assumptions as the plan was missing a few dimensions (Some were mentioned in the video). I'm attaching SW 2020 and STEP files.

@NickHeavy I hope that's okay I'm sharing this.

Table_assembly.SLDASM 173 kB · 6 downloads Table_assembly.STEP 198.85 kB · 5 downloads Table_leg.SLDPRT 87.25 kB · 2 downloads Table_leg.STEP 28.37 kB · 2 downloads Table_top.SLDPRT 259.36 kB · 2 downloads Table_top.STEP 165.11 kB · 3 downloads

I appreciate this. The table legs are 3 inches wide. Though that will change with what ever legs someone else may use. 

1 hour ago, LRtwins32 said:

What thickness did you use for the plywood?

1 inch thick plywood. 

8 hours ago, Biz18434 said:

How did you get sata power to the hub?

Extended the wires out to a Sata wall wart(power adapter)

On 8/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, NickHeavy said:

hidden cable management

So it's not "zero" wires, but rather "out of sight"

And here I was looking to see how well the wireless video card was going to work out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So it's not "zero" wires, but rather "out of sight"

And here I was looking to see how well the wireless video card was going to work out.

I wanted to do that but couldn't find a reliable solution. 

1 minute ago, NickHeavy said:

I wanted to do that but couldn't find a reliable solution. 

With the exception of power to the PC and monitors, everything else could be made wireless in a true fashion, but there are limitations...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 8/30/2020 at 6:49 PM, NickHeavy said:

Our process from start to finish on how we scratch built our cleanest desk build yet. Incorporating a flush mount USB 3 hub, widen wireless charger, and well hidden cable management. With the LG UltraFine Ergo 32in sitting on top. It might just be the cleanest desk ever.

Buy LG 32BN88U-B 31.5” Ergo

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/MLfpBug

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/HLDr

Buy Anker wireless charger

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/5XAfu

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/VmAFg5Z

Buy USB C Coupler

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/q77UO

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/4P3UKlK

Buy EZDIY-FAB 5.25in 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen2 HUB

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/8KiA

Buy USB gen 3.2 C to A Optical cable

On Mouser.com: https://lmg.gg/uTHiy

Cleastdesk_plans.pdf 104.37 kB · 785 downloads

Hi, Where did you buy the wood for the table?

5 hours ago, strolch07 said:

Hi, Where did you buy the wood for the table?

Homedepot also sells that type of wood.

I'm planning on making this build myself, but I have some questions about the Hub:

• Is the reason an AOC (Active Optical Cable) is used to get the high-speed data transfer, as well as use the 3.0 Quick Charging port on the hub for charging?
  • If my motherboard has a Type C port, would be be better to get an AOC Type C to Type C instead of Type A to Type C?

I'm trying to justify paying $100 to $150 for an AOC cable. Or, if it's not required, try to avoid paying it.

On 9/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, Raul winslow said:

I'm planning on making this build myself, but I have some questions about the Hub:

• Is the reason an AOC (Active Optical Cable) is used to get the high-speed data transfer, as well as use the 3.0 Quick Charging port on the hub for charging?
  • If my motherboard has a Type C port, would be be better to get an AOC Type C to Type C instead of Type A to Type C?

I'm trying to justify paying $100 to $150 for an AOC cable. Or, if it's not required, try to avoid paying it.

> Is the reason an AOC (Active Optical Cable) is used to get the high-speed data transfer

Reliability at that length. 5m is over what is recommended as a max length for USB (usually you don't want to go longer than 3m before you go to an active cable). 

> as well as use the 3.0 Quick Charging port on the hub for charging?

No, this is likely powered by the external power connector and handled by the hub

> If my motherboard has a Type C port, would be be better to get an AOC Type C to Type C instead of Type A to Type C?

Most likely, I would imagine they just didn't want to use up the Type C port. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 10:51 PM, 4K Ultra Noob said:

Me too, man. I tried searching for the monitor arm by itself. No luck.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

• 3 weeks later...

Im thinking of doing a similar thing for a laptop one cable setup. An inbuilt hub on a monitor riser. Would I be able to connect a similar hub to a normal usb-c port? It comes with Sata power and a usb-c to 19pin pci-e cable. Would I be able to make it work with a normal usb-c gen2 cable and a sata power adapter?

Would connect it to a hidden TB3 dock maybe, but Im mostly after the modular metal front panel and wouldnt mind gutting the panel hub and connecting each port to the tb3 hub directly.