rgb 3pin but my mobo has no 3pin rgb header

lorenznoob

hi guys,

sorry new to this. 

i got my phanteks led strip but the other end was a 3pin led input and i cannot found any male pin that i can insert this. 

i only got the hub from nzxt aer starter kit but i can only plug 4 female there. 

is there other connecter i can use? may i know what can i call them ?

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (3).png

That’s because your cable isn’t rgb, it’s argb.

I know little about the various proprietary forms of “blinky lights” (because simply calling the whole group of such “rgb” causes problems now) as I consider the whole system to be a festering boil on standardization. But apparently there is rgb and argb and they work completely differently. Argb is 3 pin in a proprietary 4 pin plug with one pin blank.  much like the photo. Argb stands for “addressable rgb” and has different features. This is not to say that you can plug just any two parts with the same acronym together and have them work either.   It’s all very “ecosystem” and proprietary. Very unlike fans. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s because your cable isn’t rgb, it’s argb.

I know little about the various proprietary forms of “blinky lights” (because simply calling the whole group of such “rgb” causes problems now) as I consider the whole system to be a festering boil on standardization. But apparently there is rgb and argb and they work completely differently. Argb is 3 pin in a proprietary 4 pin plug with one pin blank.  much like the photo. Argb stands for “addressable rgb” and has different features. This is not to say that you can plug just any two parts with the same acronym together and have them work either.   It’s all very “ecosystem” and proprietary. Very unlike fans. 

hi sir, thanks for explaining that. 

however, is there any way i can make this work? i've been searching for ages but can't get it due to the other cables that being are required in order for me to light it up. my mobo has no either of the argb 3pin and rgb 4pin. was looking for any sata or molex that i can insert this straight. 

2 minutes ago, lorenznoob said:

hi sir, thanks for explaining that. 

however, is there any way i can make this work? i've been searching for ages but can't get it due to the other cables that being are required in order for me to light it up. my mobo has no either of the argb 3pin and rgb 4pin. was looking for any sata or molex that i can insert this straight. 

Probably. It may have to do with finding a usb adaptor.  Getting the thing to attach directly to your mobo though? Unlikely.  It’s important to pay attention to not only brand but line.  Sometimes everything from a given brand isn’t even compatible with itself. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.