Strange performance

Not sure where to start with this, or where to actually post it, but here it goes, from when I got the PC. 

Got a PC from my dad for christmas, it was just some HP desktop for about 400$, but I was very happy. Specs then: ordinary HP m-ATX case, some OEM motherboard, AMD Athlon II x4, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB 1333 MHz memory, ATI Radeon HD5450 1 GB DDR3, and a WD Blue 640 GB hard drive. 

three weeks later, I got some money, and got me an ASUS M5A78-L M/USB3 motherboard, a Cooler Master GX650 PSU, and an XFX Radeon HD 6870, 1 GB DDR5. OC the graphics core with about 40MHz, and 100 MHz memory, and OC'd the cpu to 3.4 GHz, and called it a day. Next day, I installed The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and the thing pulled it off, maximum settings (before HD textures). I was a little surprised actually. Later I bought an ASUS Xonar DX, as the onboard was dreadful.

Then I didn't really do much to it until I got a job (was in school when I got the pc) and I put in a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 cooler, and after a little while upgraded to a Fractal Design Define R4 case, and a Sabertooth 990FX R2 board, while saving up some more for an FX-8350. Then I got some more RAM, Crucial BallistiX Elite, 1600 MHz, 2x4GB sticks. Then I upgraded the soundcard to a D2X, and got a Samsung 830, 256 GB, and 2x 2TB Seagate Barracudas, and an ASUS Geforce GTX 660Ti, overclocked to 1075 MHz base, 1160 boost, and 1700 MHz memory.

I installed Far Cry 3, ran it at maximum. Very surprised. Installed Crysis 3 the other day. For the lols, I set it to maximum. IT RAN FINE, 60+ FPS. Only thing is, I had a little bit of input lag, but WTF. 

Yes, I am still using the Athlon II x4, clocked to 3.37 GHz now.  

Anyone care to try and explain?

sorry for long post.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

What mouse,keyboard and monitor do you use and what connector does that monitor use

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This could have been due to the monitor that you're using. This could have also been from the CPU. It's a pretty outdated CPU. You should have upgraded that from the get go, instead of upgrading RAM, and power supply and GPU. If I were you, I'd replace the CPU, even if the input lag still persists, and then solve the problem of the lag.

I find this entertaining, because if you just asked for money, you could have just built your own computer, rather than going through all the cycles, which maximizes the probability of problems in a computer build.

I haven't heard of any problems with input lag coming from internal hardware, but I could be wrong. My best bet is: do some research into the peripherals such as keyboard and monitor that you own. 

I have had input lag issues in the past with various video card settings. That is a cheap alternative to spending more money. If you can stand it, I would recommend turning off ambient occulsion and anti-aliasing all together. Those are usually the big contributors to input lagg in my opinion. Also try turning off v-sync.

I don't know about you guys, but I think he wants us to explain as to why his Athlon CPU is still performing well even though he is playing high demanding games. If this is what you're really asking OP then I'll have to put my two cents in and say that all the games you've played so far(except Skyrim) are all GPU dependent mostly and just need a decent backbone of a CPU to be played on.

As for Skyrim, I believe it's a nice combination that allows you to run the game just fine, I believe a P4 that I had a while back played Skyrim just fine on Ultra with my 7870.

If this isn't what you were asking and you were actually asking about the input lag, then sorry and I'll have to agree with the others above me saying it's something to do with your monitor and/or peripherals.

What resolution are you running it at?  60 fps doesn't mean very much if it's at 1024x768...

I don't know about you guys, but I think he wants us to explain as to why his Athlon CPU is still performing well even though he is playing high demanding games. If this is what you're really asking OP then I'll have to put my two cents in and say that all the games you've played so far(except Skyrim) are all GPU dependent mostly and just need a decent backbone of a CPU to be played on.

As for Skyrim, I believe it's a nice combination that allows you to run the game just fine, I believe a P4 that I had a while back played Skyrim just fine on Ultra with my 7870.

If this isn't what you were asking and you were actually asking about the input lag, then sorry and I'll have to agree with the others above me saying it's something to do with your monitor and/or peripherals.

Yeah, I thought he was asking about the CPU perfomance as well. I will confirm for all, save for Skyrim, the games you played that the games are completely GPU bound; so none of the games would have run poorly even if the CPU is pretty outdated. Also I'm not sure about the validity of these tests ( http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+651+Quad-Core ) but if they're legit it's still decent in perfomance. What resolution are you running the games at? I know most instantly assume 1080p, but sometimes that's not the case. ;)

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Not sure where to start with this, or where to actually post it, but here it goes, from when I got the PC. 

Got a PC from my dad for christmas, it was just some HP desktop for about 400$, but I was very happy. Specs then: ordinary HP m-ATX case, some OEM motherboard, AMD Athlon II x4, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB 1333 MHz memory, ATI Radeon HD5450 1 GB DDR3, and a WD Blue 640 GB hard drive. 

three weeks later, I got some money, and got me an ASUS M5A78-L M/USB3 motherboard, a Cooler Master GX650 PSU, and an XFX Radeon HD 6870, 1 GB DDR5. OC the graphics core with about 40MHz, and 100 MHz memory, and OC'd the cpu to 3.4 GHz, and called it a day. Next day, I installed The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and the thing pulled it off, maximum settings (before HD textures). I was a little surprised actually. Later I bought an ASUS Xonar DX, as the onboard was dreadful.

Then I didn't really do much to it until I got a job (was in school when I got the pc) and I put in a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 cooler, and after a little while upgraded to a Fractal Design Define R4 case, and a Sabertooth 990FX R2 board, while saving up some more for an FX-8350. Then I got some more RAM, Crucial BallistiX Elite, 1600 MHz, 2x4GB sticks. Then I upgraded the soundcard to a D2X, and got a Samsung 830, 256 GB, and 2x 2TB Seagate Barracudas, and an ASUS Geforce GTX 660Ti, overclocked to 1075 MHz base, 1160 boost, and 1700 MHz memory.

I installed Far Cry 3, ran it at maximum. Very surprised. Installed Crysis 3 the other day. For the lols, I set it to maximum. IT RAN FINE, 60+ FPS. Only thing is, I had a little bit of input lag, but WTF. 

Yes, I am still using the Athlon II x4, clocked to 3.37 GHz now.  

Anyone care to try and explain?

sorry for long post.

What's your resolution of the monitor?! That's the only thing  I can think of that can give you that performance. If it's not 1080p and it's lower than 720p then yeah most games will run at maximum with your graphics card. 

Guys, It's not the input lag this thread is about, I just added it as a detail! and it's not massive, I'd say it's about 30 ms, I can live with it. and if not, I'll just turn the settings down, it worked perfectly normal at low and up to medium. 

What's your resolution of the monitor?! That's the only thing  I can think of that can give you that performance. If it's not 1080p and it's lower than 720p then yeah most games will run at maximum with your graphics card. 

it's 1080p. 

I have had input lag issues in the past with various video card settings. That is a cheap alternative to spending more money. If you can stand it, I would recommend turning off ambient occulsion and anti-aliasing all together. Those are usually the big contributors to input lagg in my opinion. Also try turning off v-sync.

I'm not worried about the input lag, it's that I actually run Crysis 3 at maximum with just a 660Ti and an Athlon II x4 that is weird, I wondered if anyone had an explanation for how that came to be. 

So you have AA at 8x and everything maxed out at 1080p with 60plus frames lmao...Great joke post.Thank you for wasting the forums time..

This could have been due to the monitor that you're using. This could have also been from the CPU. It's a pretty outdated CPU. You should have upgraded that from the get go, instead of upgrading RAM, and power supply and GPU. If I were you, I'd replace the CPU, even if the input lag still persists, and then solve the problem of the lag.

I find this entertaining, because if you just asked for money, you could have just built your own computer, rather than going through all the cycles, which maximizes the probability of problems in a computer build.

I haven't heard of any problems with input lag coming from internal hardware, but I could be wrong. My best bet is: do some research into the peripherals such as keyboard and monitor that you own. 

The CPU is decent, so I decided that I didn't have to upgrade. and did you even read my post? I run Crysis 3 at maximum, that's the strange part, I barely care about the input lag, as Crysis 3 was not interesting enough for me to play more than about 30 minutes. 

So you have AA at 8x and everything maxed out at 1080p with 60plus frames lmao...Great joke post.Thank you for wasting the forums time..

I'm absolutely serious. I just put "Very high", as it was the highest available setting, just for shits and giggles, and the thing actually ran nicely, except for the input lag, which I didn't even care much about. 

I'm absolutely serious. I just put "Very high", as it was the highest available setting, just for shits and giggles, and the thing actually ran nicely, except for the input lag, which I didn't even care much about. 

What is your AA set at?And was this in multiplayer?

What is your AA set at?And was this in multiplayer?

AA is 8x I believe, will check when I get home. It was singleplayer. 

There is no way it is at 8x i bet it is turned off.or you are at Smaa 1x low..What is the model number of your monitor?

Crysis 3 and FarCry won't offer you all settings, if you're hardware is outdated.

Maybe the gave you a titan on accident instead of a Gtx 660ti..

Crysis 3 and FarCry won't offer you all settings, if you're hardware is outdated.

Only thing that is outdated is my CPU, but it's not exactly ancient, it's from the Phenom II era. it's an Athlon II x4 in case you didn't catch that. 

I run two 7950 boost cards and i get about 75 with msaa set to 4x with a 3570k in single player and about 85 in multiplayer..

I run two 7950 boost cards and i get about 75 with msaa set to 4x with a 3570k in single player and about 85 in multiplayer..

That's an alright result! Tho crossfire could be better.. 

mine is very strange, I know.. 

not 100% sure but i think when you set the preset to very high it will leave AA disabled until you manually set it..

EDIT: Just checked and changing the preset has no effect on what AA setting the game is running.