Mulitple APs one network

NoahJamesTech

Alright, I'm not very experienced when it comes to networking and I have a (hopefully) easy question. 

Network setup: XB6 xfinity modem/router, nighthawk rax800, amped wireless TAP-R3 (yes I know its a piece of garbage but it works) So the XB6 is in the middle of the house, rax800 upstairs, and tap-r3 in the basement. Both routers are directly connected via ethernet to the modem.

Is there way to create a mesh network where google home devices still work? Currently when I make each router broadcast the same network name none of the devices see each other, which makes sense but is there a way to fix this? I really don't know for sure but I think each router has a different dchp server? Again I don't really understand networking

I really suggest you getting a mesh network since it makes it easier on you to easily configure your devices without playing with network settings. I personally use the Linksys Velop that has application setup support and support Ethernet linking. 

If you're not into spending money on a mesh solution. There really isn't a way to create a mesh network with different routers since they cannot communicate to each other in terms of knowing which router to connect to in a given space. You should change the routers names according to floor numbers. As for the DHCP servers you could find many videos and tutorials on how to link one router to another using an ethernet cable and only enabling the main router.

Hope this helps!

30 minutes ago, juniorjames316 said:

Alright, I'm not very experienced when it comes to networking and I have a (hopefully) easy question. 

Network setup: XB6 xfinity modem/router, nighthawk rax800, amped wireless TAP-R3 (yes I know its a piece of garbage but it works) So the XB6 is in the middle of the house, rax800 upstairs, and tap-r3 in the basement. Both routers are directly connected via ethernet to the modem.

Is there way to create a mesh network where google home devices still work? Currently when I make each router broadcast the same network name none of the devices see each other, which makes sense but is there a way to fix this? I really don't know for sure but I think each router has a different dchp server? Again I don't really understand networking

Thats because if each router is set up in router mode, each one is its own network. Now if you set them in AP mode, theoretically they would just be extending one network. Also, roaming between them with devices will likely never work. Generally you would use the exact same AP's, as there are many roaming standards and not all will support the same standards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If "AP mode" is not an option....  All you need to do...

1:  Disable DHCP on the Routers you wish to operate as AP.

2:  Use a LAN port instead of the WAN port to uplink to your Modem.

3:  Set the LAN IP of the subordinate router/ap to a static IP which will no conflict with  your comcast DHCP range or its IP.

Basic operation of these routers are teh wireless and wired ports are bridged together.  So if you simply omit the WAN port, it will operate as a simple layer 2 (read Ethernet switch) device.  Just make sure you disable DHCP on them or you will wreak havoc.

basic ap.png

Roaming could be a tad spotty however if they are all AC radios you should have decent experience.  One thing you can do is actually turn teh radios down.  In this way you minimize overlap....  The client will roam to a stronger AP... Its getting the currently connected to AP to go low signal enough for the client to care to do so that is teh trick.  Thats where radio signal strength comes in.  Lower the signal strength and you form more defined borders you clients can use to init station roam.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:12 PM, juniorjames316 said:

Is there way to create a mesh network where google home devices still work?

With this setup, no. Mesh is a unique type of wireless network where all nodes in the mesh communicate with each other over a dedicated network. It has to be done with mesh-compatible devices within the same brand.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:12 PM, juniorjames316 said:

Currently when I make each router broadcast the same network name none of the devices see each other, which makes sense but is there a way to fix this? I really don't know for sure but I think each router has a different dchp server?

There's nothing wrong with making all wireless access points in your home broadcast the same SSID. What it forces your client devices to do is choose the access point with the strongest signal and connect to it.

What @eece_ret says is correct. You have to convert all of your wireless routers into access point mode (i.e. they're just remote wireless antennae for your xFinity gateway) and assign each AP a static IP address within the same subnet as the gateway, but outside of the gateway's DHCP pool. Doing this turns off DHCP/NAT to prevent each router conflicting with the other and the primary gateway.

Roaming or easy handoff between access points is generally done better with wireless access points within the same brand that support it, but you can achieve a close-enough experience this way as well. Again, getting the antenna power output just right will help a lot. You do not have to turn signal output to maximum or highest to do this; actually, it may hinder your client devices from connecting to a closer AP as they move around the house.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:28 PM, mohsenation said:

I really suggest you getting a mesh network since it makes it easier on you to easily configure your devices without playing with network settings. I personally use the Linksys Velop that has application setup support and support Ethernet linking. 

If you're not into spending money on a mesh solution. There really isn't a way to create a mesh network with different routers since they cannot communicate to each other in terms of knowing which router to connect to in a given space. You should change the routers names according to floor numbers. As for the DHCP servers you could find many videos and tutorials on how to link one router to another using an ethernet cable and only enabling the main router.

A mesh network isn't necessary given the gear that the OP has already. S/he can achieve a simple home wireless network that might be better than a mesh system. Furthermore, changing the "router names" isn't necessary unless you're OCD like that.

What I've come to learn about improving home networking is to mimic what is done in the corporate/business environment where things need to work flawlessly for the majority of time. You won't find mesh systems in these environments; they pretty much stick to a simple model with a few advanced features to achieve specific needs in that environment.

2 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

What it forces your client devices to do is choose the access point with the strongest signal and connect to it.

Not necessarily. Some devices get stuck on an AP. Roaming between AP's is an actual like 3 standards under the IEEE. So all of your AP's have to support the standard you choose to use. Some AP's use proprietary standards, I know Ubiquti used to back in the day if I recall correctly. This is why its best to always use the same AP's across your network, because you never know if different devices will use the same standards. Because its not necessarily implemented on all hardware. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have never heard of a roaming Google Home device. They are usually in a fixed location. It's how the wifi is set up on each device. I second plugging the wires into each router's LAN ports, not the WAN port. Turn off the DHCP in all but one of the routers (or all of them if the modem has built in router and does DHCP). You CAN buy Ubiquiti AP-Lite pucks that are mesh setups but you already have "workable" gear. But currently, too many routers are in the mix at the moment and most consumer grade routing gear does not have real AP modes.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, eece_ret said:

If "AP mode" is not an option....  All you need to do...

1:  Disable DHCP on the Routers you wish to operate as AP.

2:  Use a LAN port instead of the WAN port to uplink to your Modem.

3:  Set the LAN IP of the subordinate router/ap to a static IP which will no conflict with  your comcast DHCP range or its IP.

Basic operation of these routers are teh wireless and wired ports are bridged together.  So if you simply omit the WAN port, it will operate as a simple layer 2 (read Ethernet switch) device.  Just make sure you disable DHCP on them or you will wreak havoc.

basic ap.png

This worked perfectly! One of the routers had AP mode so it made it easy. I had everything setup right before except I was plugging into the WAN instead of the LAN. Thanks for all the help everyone