Macrium Reflect Question / Help Please

Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

"Clone this disk" just makes the 2nd drive an identical copy of the fist, always has. Obviously overwrites anything already on.

"Image this disk" makes a .mrimg image of the whole disk as a file and you can put multiple on one disk.

Why does it always overwrite the whole "target disc" when I clone my OS drive? 

I don't really get it, isn't that exactly the point that you have several backups of the data you want to copy / backup / clone? 

And yes,  there's enough space on the target disc,  it doesn't matter it'll always say "all data on target disc will be overwritten".

Just wondering if I'm missing something like a setting?

It really doesn't make sense to me - and is a massive waste of storage space because I never can use the "target disc" for other stuff since apparently,  in case I want to make another clone that would be overwritten...  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Becasue you're using clone and not image?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Becasue you're using clone and not image?

Yeah, the weird part is I did that several times before and it always created a "MRIMG" file...  but now it just seems to copy my OS drive 1:1... 

So what do I use to make a 1:1 "backup" of my OS drive then? 

There doesn't even seem to be an option for that,  I just see "create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore windows"

I don't want that,  I want it to backup the whole drive. 

It's really confusing because as said I already did this several times,  always used "clone this drive" and the result always was a "MRIMG" file... Well until yesterday... Even weirder I did it a second time afterwards and *then* it created a "MRIMG" file. 

So yeah I'm confused lol,  but yeah,  I need a backup of the "whole" drive,  including the windows installation of course... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

"Clone this disk" just makes the 2nd drive an identical copy of the fist, always has. Obviously overwrites anything already on.

"Image this disk" makes a .mrimg image of the whole disk as a file and you can put multiple on one disk.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

48 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

"Image this disk" makes a .mrimg image of the hwole disk as a file and you can put multiple on one disk.

Thanks,  that worked.  I really have no idea why this is so confusing, especially visually... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity