Should I sell or upgrade?

JacksonC27

Im looking to get a new gpu from geforces upcoming ampere cards but I also need a new psu and more ram should I just get a new pc entirely? Here are my specs my budget is about 1000 us dollars with a 6.875% sales tax.

Hello there my Minnesotan friend! (only place with that sales tax) You can probably get a pretty decent performance boost without replacing your CPU, but if you're inclined to do so my advice would be to buy a more powerful CPU secondhand, grab some more RAM, a new PSU, and then get whatever Ampere card fits your budget.

We don't know for sure what prices are going to be, but they look like they'll be high. It'll be easier to choose between the two options when we know actual performance and prices of Ampere cards. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

The easiest thing you can do to drastically improve performance on that system would be to install an SSD as your boot drive. The 16GB of Optane memory helps in making your hard drive feel faster, but nothing beats having your OS installed on an SSD. I don't think you need to sell your whole system (your CPU is actually fine for most GPU-bound games), but you're definitely going to need a more powerful PSU if you want to install an Ampere GPU in the future. Do keep in mind that while the Ampere GPUs are slated to be launched September 1st, Nvidia typically launches the more powerful cards first. If you're looking for a '3060', you might end up waiting a bit longer.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

If you need more performance overall then you could upgrade the cpu but the 8400 is basically the 8600k without overclocking and that is still an excellent gaming chip. If I was you I would just buy and extra stick of ram to make it 16gb (unless your setup is 2x4 right now) and whatever gpu you want, your current setup won't have problems with bottlenecks.

Eh, it's not terrible. An 8400 is a modern 6-core, boosts to 4ghz. Thing is you're sort of stuck on the GPU because that prebuilt came with a sketchy power supply. 

I'd stick with this till as much new stuff is out as possible, and then build a new PC, on a better platform.