Intel 10700k gets stuck at 800mhz while playing certain games.

Go to solution Solved by yashkark,

Hey guys I was able to fix this issue using a solution i found on reddit.

BIOS->OVERCLOCKING SETTINGS->Advanced Power Configuration -> Long duration power limit 500 w -> Short duration power limit 500 W.

Basically set the long duration and short duration power limit in the BIOS to 500 W

I have recently built a new PC with the specs mentioned below. Everything was fine until a day ago. All the parts except the graphics card are new(waiting for the 30 series).

I am able to run the 10700k at 4.8ghz for all application including cinebench r20 and get a score of around 4835 with thermals under control. The trouble starts only when I launch certain games(Valorant in this case). After a minute or two of playing the cpu locks to 800mhz. A quick restart usually fixes this issue and Im able to play without issue for couple of hours. However recently it takes more than one restart to get it to stop locking at 800 mhz. Once it works, it works well for the rest of my gaming session and I have no issues till the next time I play..Once its locked at 800mhz even exiting the game dosent change anything. The PC has to restarted to get it back at its expected clocks. I am inclined towards this being an software/BIOS issue as once it starts working(stops locking to 800mhz) , it works fine for however long I run the game (2-5 hours). Running Hwinfo indicated that cpu was not thermal throttling(max temps were around 60C)  however the core power limit was exceeded which is weird cause it runs cinebench r20 perfectly without exceeding the power limits and only happens when I play.

BIOS settings-

Only enabled XMP and the pre defined gaming offset which comes in bios(increase base clock from 3.7 to 4.7)  

System specs-

CPU -Intel 10700k

Motherboard- MSI MPG z490 gaming edge wifi

Ram- Gskill Trident Z rgb 3200 mhz (8gbx2)

PSU NZXT C850

GPU -nvidia gtx1050 ti(from my old PC)

AIO cooler - Corsair h100i rgb platinum.

This is getting really annoying especially with restart sometimes not resolving the issue. Any help is appreciated. 

Please overclock the processor using bios settings only and uninstall any overclocking software

I am facing exactly the same issue.

When launching COD Warzone, after a couple of minutes my CPU (10700k) locks to 800 Mhz and I also have to restart.

I did not overclock my CPU.

Would be great to find a solution for this.

Hello,

i have the same problem with this specs :

- i7 10700k

- MSI Z490 Gaming Edge wifi.

- MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super

- 32 Go RAM

- Watercooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinium

When i launch Warzone, CPU locks to 0,80 Ghz (800Mhz).

i wasn't facing this problem 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone have a solution ?

Thanks.

I have find a solution.

Install MSI Dragon Center.

at the top right change "Extrem Performance" to "Balanced"

It worked for me.

Hope it work for you too.

One thing I can think of causing this could be EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology), just go to your Bios, disable EIST and check if the error persists.

Hey guys I was able to fix this issue using a solution i found on reddit.

BIOS->OVERCLOCKING SETTINGS->Advanced Power Configuration -> Long duration power limit 500 w -> Short duration power limit 500 W.

Basically set the long duration and short duration power limit in the BIOS to 500 W

Hello,

I finally fixed my issue by disabling the game mode and deactivating every user scenario under the MSI Dragon Centre.

Everything works fine now !

disable all the C-states and power saving functions

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x