My recording sound weird? (Vocals)

Hello all!

So I've been working on a couple of different songs with vocals and guitar.

However, I'm having the issue, that my voice sounds weird in every song I try.

I sing into a microphone elsewhere, and it sounds fine coming out of the speakers.

It sounds fine coming out of the speakers here too, until it's been recorded and I hit play.

Any help?

My set up is:

Blue Spark (microphone)  ----> AudioBox 22VSL (Audio Interface) -----> Computer ------> Studio One 2.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Can you upload an example?

Sure, where should I upload it to so that I can link it here?

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0hx655e72003fq/Test.wav

Using the same song, but hearing it through a different microphone, sounds completely normal, and not bad (if I do say so myself :P )

I sound congested in the recording, but not through my speakers when just singing into the mic.

@ShearMe

This phenomenon is very common,  it is essential because your ears not only hear external sounds but they also pick up all the sounds your voice makes internally too, remember your ears are connected to you throat and nose,  so when you hear your self on a recording it will always be different to how you hear yourself in reality.

As much as you may not want to hear it, how you sound on the recording is closer to how others hear you than how you hear yourself.

EDIT: if this doesn't make sense I'll try again later.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This phenomenon is very common,  it is essential because your ears not only hear external sounds but they also pick up all the sounds your voice makes internally too, remember your ears are connected to you throat and nose,  so when you hear your self on a recording it will always be different to how you hear yourself in reality.

As much as you may not want to hear it, how you sound on the recording is closer to how others hear you than how you hear yourself.

EDIT: if this doesn't make sense I'll try again later.

I know this already, that's not my issue.

This isn't the way I sound through a speaker either (that isn't from a recording)

I sing at church, and hear myself all the time, but I don't sound the same on the speakers there at all.

Is this a new Mic you're using? Maybe it's just got a different frequency response than you're used to?

Is this a new Mic you're using? Maybe it's just got a different frequency response than you're used to?

Not a new Mic, but I've never enjoyed the sound from my recordings. I've used two different Mics, both sounded weird.

Maybe it's the difference of a stage mic, and the recording mic?

After playing with my Audio Interface, switching the knob from VSL to Input helped a lot.

After looking it up, it makes it so I hear what the Audio Interface is hearing, rather than what Studio One put out.

So, I guess I was hearing myself wrong, so I was singing weird... :P

Thanks all...

Only other question I would have, is why did Studio One sound different?

I know this already, that's not my issue.

This isn't the way I sound through a speaker either (that isn't from a recording)

I sing at church, and hear myself all the time, but I don't sound the same on the speakers there at all.

So you sound different in other recordings with different gear?

EDIT: Essentially you must compare several different recordings using several different mics, mixers, etc, if you want to "know" what you sound like. You cannot compare a live sound to a recorded sound. When it comes to vocals they will always sound different to the singer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So you sound different in other recordings with different gear?

EDIT: Essentially you must compare several different recordings using several different mics, mixers, etc, if you want to "know" what you sound like. You cannot compare a live sound to a recorded sound. When it comes to vocals they will always sound different to the singer.

I was just trying to figure out why I sounded so much Worse compared to the live sound (which wasn't really EQed right, or sound engineered.)

I was just trying to figure out why I sounded so much Worse compared to the live sound (which wasn't really EQed right, or sound engineered.)

To begin with YOU DON'T SOUND WORSE! O.K,  you sound different, and when it is recorded you hear your voice without all the internal guff that goes on inside the body, so essentially you hear something that you are not used to, you hear what everyone else hears (within margin of equipment colouring of course).