Small electric shock - Is it normal?

jakeslayer9091

Hey

so I just recently got my case and psu for a build, (still waiting for other parts to arrive), and once I had everything ready, I plugged it into the wall, but whenever i touch metal parts of the case, like screws, etc., I get an electrical shock like one of those gum pull electric shock pranks (not zapped) , and this is with the psu cable connected and switch off, once i removed the psu cable, the electrical shocking stopped, is this normal or should i worry?

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

CPU: Intel i7 9900k Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A RAM: 32GB (x4 8GB Modules) Corsair Dominator VideoCard: Asus Nvidia 2080ti HDD/SSD: 1TB M2 Samsung EVO 970 Case: LianLi O11 Dynamic (White) Radiator: x1 Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 Fans: x6 Corsair LL120 RGB Tubing: Thermaltake PETG ID: 13mm OD: 16mm Fittings: Bitspower Throughout Waterblocks: CPU: EK-Velocity RGB (Nickel+Plexi) VideoCard: EK-Vector RTX 2080ti w/ Nickel Backplate (Nickel+Plexi) Reservoir: Bitspower Touchaqua Sedna Front Plate Options: Corsair Commander Pro, Corsair RGB Controller, Custom Sleeved Cables for CPU, ATX and PCI-E

do you power outlet have ground?, i think you are missing ground in your power outlet or power strip.

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Your PC grounded properly? Like the power supply cable is fully seated and there is a ground pin in the cable?

Yea the cable is properly and fully seated, I’m not sure what you mean by ground pin, but here’s a pic of the cable pins and its outlet

hCable pins

Outlet

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

CPU: Intel i7 9900k Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A RAM: 32GB (x4 8GB Modules) Corsair Dominator VideoCard: Asus Nvidia 2080ti HDD/SSD: 1TB M2 Samsung EVO 970 Case: LianLi O11 Dynamic (White) Radiator: x1 Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 Fans: x6 Corsair LL120 RGB Tubing: Thermaltake PETG ID: 13mm OD: 16mm Fittings: Bitspower Throughout Waterblocks: CPU: EK-Velocity RGB (Nickel+Plexi) VideoCard: EK-Vector RTX 2080ti w/ Nickel Backplate (Nickel+Plexi) Reservoir: Bitspower Touchaqua Sedna Front Plate Options: Corsair Commander Pro, Corsair RGB Controller, Custom Sleeved Cables for CPU, ATX and PCI-E

4 minutes ago, Danioki said:

do you power outlet have ground?, i think you are missing ground in your power outlet or power strip.

I’m not sure, how do I check?

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

the ground is the middle one, of your electrical installation is in order maybe is the PSU fault, with PSU is it? if is a cheapo PSU the maybe that is the probem.

i asked for the outlet because i remember another user having the problem, but in their country they did not use grounding in their homes...

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Not sure why that may be happening. It could be that you yourself have elevated charge and not the computer, for example you are rubbing your feet on a rug and getting negatively charged so when you touch a grounded object (the computer) you get shocked. Try and touch something else metal with a path to ground in your room, do you also get shocked?

No, it’s not me, I just checked 

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

1 minute ago, Danioki said:

the ground is the middle one, of your electrical installation is in order maybe is the PSU fault, with PSU is it? if is a cheapo PSU the maybe that is the probem.

It’s a tx650m with a h510i, All I have connected is a sata cable for the nzxt cam hub

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

mmm so the PSU is a good one. try touching other grounded things, to check.

4 minutes ago, Danioki said:

mmm so the PSU is a good one. try touching other grounded things, to check.

Nope, just tried, other grounded things are normal

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

should i try to wear a anti static bracelet or sum, if it’ll help idk

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

23 minutes ago, jakeslayer9091 said:

is this normal or should i worry?

test the outlet with a meter, stick one probe in the middle ground hole, and stick the other on the larger slot.  No voltage, no ground.   Many older homes just have 2 wires going to the outlet, even if the outlet has been changed to one that has a ground plug on it, does not mean it is actually hooked up.  Other times people are lazy and do not hook them up properly..

2 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

test the outlet with a meter, stick one probe in the middle ground hole, and stick the other on the larger slot.  No voltage, no ground.   Many older homes just have 2 wires going to the outlet, even if the outlet has been changed to one that has a ground plug on it, does not mean it is actually hooked up.  Other times people are lazy and do not hook them up properly..

+1

in this case there isn't much to do by yourself to remedy the problem, just have a technician check you house electrical installation.

3 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

I don’t have a meter to test it with, is there anyway to test it without a meter?

btw, i seem to only get shocked once the switch is off (cable connected), once the switch is on, its completely fine

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

3 minutes ago, Danioki said:

+1

in this case there isn't much to do by yourself to remedy the problem, just have a technician check you house electrical installation.

But I used this outlet before, Even on a old computer some time ago, it was completely fine, and it still is right now on my other devices, this is the first time I encounter this problem

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

I’m going to try to re-mount the psu

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

3 minutes ago, jakeslayer9091 said:

I don’t have a meter

go buy one or order one, you can just get a cheap one, less than $10.  Good to have one anyway

Just now, TylerDurden! said:

go buy one or order one, you can just get a cheap one, less than $10.  Good to have one anyway

Can you link me one?

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

11 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

but be careful, mains current is not a game. :D

8 minutes ago, jakeslayer9091 said:

I don’t have a meter to test it with, is there anyway to test it without a meter?

btw, i seem to only get shocked once the switch is off (cable connected), once the switch is on, its completely fine

Is it a static discharge (short and immediate) or continuous pain if you leave your hand on it?

I don't have a ground and when my PSU is off and the cable is connected I feel the continuous pain, which is a small electrical current passing trough you, and (theoretically) very dangerous if you touch something with a ground to the other side of the house as you will become equalizer of the potential between them (or something like that, don't try anyway). Even if you have a ground in your electrical system your ground cable might have come disconnected simply because badly attached in the first place

If you buy the multimeter tester test your cable before risking with the main house current. 

To check you should put your meter in the mode that make beeps when you touch the lead together (look for a diode symbol), then insert one lead inside the PSU side connector and one on the metal part of the outlet connector, it should beep in only one pair at a time(the top one with the top one, the left with the left one and the right with the right one)

24 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

Is it a static discharge (short and immediate) or continuous pain if you leave your hand on it?

I don't have a ground and when my PSU is off and the cable is connected I feel the continuous pain, which is a small electrical current passing trough you, and (theoretically) very dangerous if you touch something with a ground to the other side of the house as you will become equalizer of the potential between them (or something like that, don't try anyway). Even if you have a ground in your electrical system your ground cable might have come disconnected simply because badly attached in the first place

If you buy the multimeter tester test your cable before risking with the main house current. 

To check you should put your meter in the mode that make beeps when you touch the lead together (look for a diode symbol), then insert one lead inside the PSU side connector and one on the metal part of the outlet connector, it should beep in only one pair at a time(the top one with the top one, the left with the left one and the right with the right one)

It’s just the continuous pain only when the cable’s connected, so I’m guessing I shouldn’t worry about since you have the same thing in your PC?

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

11 minutes ago, jakeslayer9091 said:

It’s just the continuous pain only when the cable’s connected, so I’m guessing I shouldn’t worry about since you have the same thing in your PC?

there is something very wrong with your power supply.

if it's continuous pain when touching the case that means it's electrified. that is nothing normal (any day that you'll have water in the ground you can die from electrocution....).

i would return that PSU just in case.

3 minutes ago, jakeslayer9091 said:

Actually it's kind of a big problem, as it could kill someone. You get a continuous pain to a paint/coated case, which might be about a 1mA or 0.5mA. If the right conditions are met, like a scratched part of the case, a person with heart problem (even an unknown medical condition) or even a cut in a finger they can kill

23 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

Actually it's kind of a big problem, as it could kill someone. You get a continuous pain to a paint/coated case, which might be about a 1mA or 0.5mA. If the right conditions are met, like a scratched part of the case, a person with heart problem (even an unknown medical condition) or even a cut in a finger they can kill

So I got a faulty PSU?

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

26 minutes ago, Danioki said:

there is something very wrong with your power supply.

if it's continuous pain when touching the case that means it's electrified. that is nothing normal (any day that you'll have water in the ground you can die from electrocution....).

i would return that PSU just in case.

Should I RMA it through amazon or corsair?

My custom loop 5000$ PC: