Computer freezes while editing in Premier.

Vellocity

Hey everyone, I'm having a bit of an odd problem. While working in Premier Pro CC, my desktop freezes at random times. I've tried some Googling but mainly found people having issues with opening or rendering so I've come here to see if anyone can help. When it freezes, only hard rebooting/restarting is a fix. I've left it for a couple hours earlier today see if it was just hanging. 

I've ran Prime95 for 30mins to test my CPU - ran no problem with temps staying in the mid 40's. Just finished a memtest and no errors there. System has a fresh install of Windows 7, got a SSD the other day. All drivers are up to date and I've uninstalled/reinstalled my graphics driver but no luck. If you need any more info, let me know. This is a client video I'm editing so hoping to solve this issue ASAP. 

edit: I've also trying re installing Premier on both my SSD and HD and well as making sure it's updated to the latest version. 

My specs are:

FX 8320 @ 4.2

Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev.4

8GB ADATA

64GB ADATA SSD

2TB Storage Drive

Sapphire HD 6770 Vapor X

Cooler Master 525W PSU

FX-8320 @ 4.2Ghz. 8GB ADATA RAM. Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev 4. 64GB SSD 2TB HD. Sapphire HD 6770. NZXT Phantom 410. CM Storm Quickfire Rapid - Cherry Blue. CM Storm Inferno mouse. TT Esports Cronos.

Is it completely random or can you link it to something ? Like use of a particular transition or plug in. I think I'd want to try to replicate the error. Maybe sit with a piece of paper or notepad and note down what doesn't do it and try to pin down what does, or what combo of things does. Also I wonder if the problem is caused by a conflict with something, Premiere is trying to access a DLL or exe that's already in use somewhere else. Have you tried running with task manager open to see what processes are triggered by Premiere during editing ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Ive tried to replicate the system locking up but its completly random. Sometimes within minutes or 15 to 20 minutes. Come to think of it, seems to happen when playing back the sequence or scrubbing through it. No effects or transitions are being used yet. Ive also gone through task manager and killed any processes/programs that had nothing to do with premier.

FX-8320 @ 4.2Ghz. 8GB ADATA RAM. Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev 4. 64GB SSD 2TB HD. Sapphire HD 6770. NZXT Phantom 410. CM Storm Quickfire Rapid - Cherry Blue. CM Storm Inferno mouse. TT Esports Cronos.

My reliability monitor shows this. Each Premier event shows same details. No idea what any of this means or if it's helpful. Only shows Premier 4 times, but it's happened a lot more then that as you can see by all the shutdowns.  

post-16596-0-33759200-1393997956.jpg

post-16596-0-80834000-1393997956.jpg

Hmmm what's your memory useage like ? Any spikes ?

Ram usage sits steady around 4-5GB. Ive already tried each 4GB ram stick individually. Any chance my GPU is causing the issue?

How big is your paging file?

Didn't even think to check that. Currently it's at 8172 MB, which is the default I'd assume since I haven't touched it. Should I change it? 

check gpu temperatures with openHWmonitor

run memtest86 server edition overnight as soon as you get a chance

run the newest version of furmark for a couple hours

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I downloaded the trail of Vegas Pro 12, while rendering using both CPU and GPU my system would lock up once again. When rendering using the CPU only option, no problems. This is starting to point towards my graphics card being the issue. 

AMD graphics card? yes I have these freeze up problems all the time with my 6950 and editing programs. try getting some old drivers. one of the catalyst 12.x drivers (yes i know its very old) has always worked best for me when I had issues. cant remember which 12.x it was though. maybe 12.10? cant remember. (its beeen a while)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

AMD graphics card? yes I have these freeze up problems all the time with my 6950 and editing programs. try getting some old drivers. one of the catalyst 12.x drivers (yes i know its very old) has always worked best for me when I had issues. cant remember which 12.x it was though. maybe 12.10? cant remember. (its beeen a while)

Yeah, HD 6770. Would going to older drivers effects gaming performance at all? I'll look into it, thanks! 

Yeah, HD 6770. Would going to older drivers effects gaming performance at all? I'll look into it, thanks! 

yes in whatever games got updates since the newer drivers were released. Youll get reduced performance. Some games might even not work at all (Battlefield 4)

but remember, your clients are probably more important, so I would install the old drivers while your working, and install the new ones to play. or just keep the old ones and keep reduced performance. Yes, i know, life stinks sometimes :/

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

yes in whatever games got updates since the newer drivers were released. Youll get reduced performance. Some games might even not work at all (Battlefield 4)

but remember, your clients are probably more important, so I would install the old drivers while your working, and install the new ones to play. or just keep the old ones and keep reduced performance. Yes, i know, life stinks sometimes :/

Thanks for a speedy response. I'll at least try some older drivers and see what happens. I'm looking at either the 260x or the 750's for a GPU upgrade. On a tight budget with having to move next month. Thanks again, really appreciate it! 

Thanks for a speedy response. I'll at least try some older drivers and see what happens. I'm looking at either the 260x or the 750's for a GPU upgrade. On a tight budget with having to move next month. Thanks again, really appreciate it! 

not a problem :)

Spoiler