Using An External Hdd As A Network Drive

Bill Cosby

So basically i am trying to use a Seagate backup plus for a network drive to eliminate the constant back and forth of jumpdrives that happens here at my office. I know how to map a network drive, but for some reason i cant seem to find out how to do it with an External HDD. If somebody could give me a step by step on this i would really appreciate that. The whole point here is to have a central place were we can update files and have that updated file be accessible through all 4 computers in the office. If there is also an easier way to do this (Windows 7) also let me know.

Thanks

Assuming you are running windows 7,

Go into my computer

> Right click the drive

> click "Properties"

> click on the "sharing" tab

> Click "advanced sharing"

> tick the box that says "share this folder"

> create a share name (if you want to)

> Then click permissions

> tick the box that says "Full control" (in the allow tab)

> Click "apply", then "apply" again.

Your folder should be shared, just remember to make a new account on your computer that is passworded so that your office can use the network share without giving the users in your office your account password

My build: i5 3570k @ Stock // Arctic Freezer i30 CPU Cooler // 7970 3GB @ 1000MHz Core 1500Mhz Memory // 8GB RAM @ 1333MHz // WD Caviar Black 1TB // WD Caviar Blue 1TB // Corsair 300R

I do it with a Seagate in order to have separate room backup and it works extremely well. What Matty_ said was exactly right.