Budget gaming build

Yatys 93

was talking in work today about making a video editing rig for a production company, and my boss wants a gaming pc for his son, budget is hard capped at 500, just needs the tower plus os, has all the peripherals.

any one got any ideas? closest I got was this

Case needs to have a window but leds can be added later, any help would be great!

You should get a 1650 Super or RX 580 instead of a 5500XT, they're pretty bad value.

Also if you don't have a CPU to update the motherboard, it won't work with the 3200G. This one isn't much more expensive and will work with the 3200G.

A dual core athlon and RX 570 to start off is better value, and you get a B450 motherboard with a nice heat sink for a much better upgrade path in the future. Also you can cut the fan hub, and windows can always be activated down the line.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Darpyface said:

You should get a 1650 Super or RX 580 instead of a 5500XT, they're pretty bad value.

Also if you don't have a CPU to update the motherboard, it won't work with the 3200G.

oops, must have added the wrong card, was looking at the 580's

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:
A dual core athlon and RX 570 to start off is better value, and you get a B450 motherboard with a nice heat sink for a much better upgrade path in the future. Also you can cut the fan hub, and windows can always be activated down the line.

isnt 4 ghz on the athlon basically guaranteed, even with the stock cooler? would be worth doing that right off the bat

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

16 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

this could work, not going to be an amazing experience but not sure much better can be done without uping the budget a little, think next time I see them I'll show them this and try to push for a £600 budget to let me swap in a 2600x with the 570 and see what they think.

7 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

let me swap in a 2600x with the 570

Why would you get a 2600X, you don't need more than a 3100. You could take some of the extra money and go to a 3100, a 580, and maybe a better motherboard like the Asrock B450 Pro4M.

Why would you get a 2600X, you don't need more than a 3100. You could take some of the extra money and go to a 3100, a 580, and maybe a better motherboard like the Asrock B450 Pro4M.

I didn't do the 3100 as again bios update needed for the b450 boards to use it

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

I didn't do the 3100 as again bios update needed for the b450 boards to use it

B450 boards support 3rd gen, the manufacturer will update the BIOS from the factory.

Just now, Darpyface said:

B450 boards support 3rd gen, the manufacturer will update the BIOS from the factory.

do they always? I've had issues in the past where it shipped with an older bios and I've had to try and fix it without a working cpu, thankfully bought asus but it was still a pain :P

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

do they always? I've had issues in the past where it shipped with an older bios and I've had to try and fix it without a working cpu, thankfully bought asus but it was still a pain :P

It's been long enough since the launch of 3rd gen and since b550 took so long to be released, 99% of them have updated BIOS. If you buy it from a in person store they'll update the BIOS for you.

It's been long enough since the launch of 3rd gen and since b550 took so long to be released, 99% of them have updated BIOS. If you buy it from a in person store they'll update the BIOS for you.

works for me, swap the out the power supply and comes in at £590 so will see what they say

Something like this would be good

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£91.98 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£69.60 @ Technextday) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (£57.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£18.63 @ BT Shop) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.38 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB DUAL Video Card  (£158.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£44.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£57.99 @ Corsair UK) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Ziyituod ZYT-7265 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  (£19.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan  (£8.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £563.52

You might want a better SSD though. And if you can still get a better PSU.

4 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

Something like this would be good

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£91.98 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£69.60 @ Technextday) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (£57.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£18.63 @ BT Shop) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.38 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB DUAL Video Card  (£158.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£44.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£57.99 @ Corsair UK) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Ziyituod ZYT-7265 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  (£19.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan  (£8.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £563.52

You might want a better SSD though. And if you can still get a better PSU.

Ya I wanted to us the MX instead so budget allowing that is definitely my plan, and you can get a 600w from EVGA for the same price, Covid messing with everything price wise atm is just a pain

This is good for a £500 budget. If it can be extended to £600 then this.