Does your PC Need This??

CPotter
23 minutes ago, moriz1 said:

are you serious?

the video RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING clearly stated that it is a sponsored video. you KNOW going into it that it will have product placement.

if you fail to realize as a viewer that the video has sponsored content, then that's on you.

So what? It is a sponsored video and its ok to say whatever the advertiser likes to be said without actually showcasing the truth? 

So if he get's sponsored by e.g Apple and tells us how great apple PCs are for gaming and that a 3000$ apple computer is an ideal solution for a gamer would be ok? 

You know that this is the definition of shilling dont you? 

The word "sponsored " doesnt mean "paid to lie" it means that they provided the hardware and also may also include some payment to make the video. 

Any tech journalist who is able to respect himself would not get biased by a sponsor. And people should also not want their main source of information to be biased even if sponsored so what exactly you dont understand? 

the rest of your post is pretty meaningless.

Well if disecting the video time used in all its parts and concluding that 90% of the time spend was on showcasing the product in a favorable light and 0% spend on actually elaborating as to why this is a gamer oriented product (since he mentions it is) comparing it's impact in performance to other solutions etc is for you meaningless then you are not able to derive meaning and this discussion has no reason to exist.

consoles?

You know that consoles are able to stream footage nowadays right? (e.g PS4, Xbox one )

Also this is a PC oriented channel and there was no emphasis for legacy consoles in the video + you can not claim a device to be "gamer oriented" if your sole usecase revolves around legacy consoles.. and you call me stupid... 

6 minutes ago, papajo said:

Well if disect the video time used in all its parts and concluding taht 90% of the times spend was on showcasing the product in a favorable light

if showcasing what the product does is considered "favorable light", then sure, i guess he did.

except that's not what it means. showcasing what the product does is what Linus did.

8 minutes ago, papajo said:

You know that this is the definition of shilling dont you? 

lol.

Linus is sponsored by Corsair and AMD. he spent most of the time talking about Elgato and a little bit of Nvidia.

if Linus is a "shill", then he's a pretty terrible one. if i'm Corsair and AMD, i'd consider asking for my money back.

9 minutes ago, papajo said:

The word "sponsored " doesnt mean "paid to lie"

where did he lie?

what little bit of sponsored content he DID do, he was telling the truth. those Corsair machines with capture cards really are pretty decent for streaming.

9 minutes ago, papajo said:

You know that consoles are able to stream footage nowadays right? (e.g PS4, Xbox one )

yes, i even mentioned the fact that some current gen consoles can stream. how well they can stream? well, not great. if you're a serious streamer, you'll need a capture card and a PC that runs it. hence the content of this video.

11 minutes ago, papajo said:

Also this is a PC oriented channel and there was no emphasis for legacy consoles in the video + you can not claim a device to be "gamer oriented" if your sole usecase revolves around legacy consoles.. and you call me stupid... 

so? did you pop a blood vessel when Linus's channel reviewed a bunch of bicycles? or phones? or vinyl wraps.... for consoles?

or heaven forbid... Macs?

Linus can review, showcase, do sponsor spots, for whatever he damn well wants. if you aren't stupid, you'd know this.

(also lol at the "legacy consoles". he didn't really mention any console in particular, but the one shown on video was a Xbox One of some sort, which last i checked, is current gen. you can't call that "legacy console" when their replacements aren't out on the market.)

36 minutes ago, moriz1 said:

if showcasing what the product does is considered "favorable light", then sure, i guess he did.

Yes if you mention only what it does omitting the context then that's exactly what you do. 

Cocaine is a substance that gets into your bloodstream and makes you feel like a god. 

Here for example I mentioned what cocaine is what it does omitting the context so I showcase cocaine in a favorable light. 

In the video linus tells us stories about this gamer oriented device how many options there are what they do and the price difference for being able to do what they do in different resolution (and suggesting to buy the more expensive one for future profness) omitting that you can do exactly what those thing do for free without the need to purchase a piece of hardware and having more or less the same impact (oh he omits the fact that you will have a performance impact while gaming and using those devices) 

lol.

Linus is sponsored by Corsair and AMD. he spent most of the time talking about Elgato and a little bit of Nvidia.

if Linus is a "shill", then he's a pretty terrible one. if i'm Corsair and AMD, i'd consider asking for my money back.

That was a response to your argument that he claims to be a sponsored video in the beginning of the video so according to you he gets a free pass to be biased...

And I said that because its sponsored it doesnt mean anything because if you are going to deliberately twist the truth just because you are sponsored then what you do is called shilling. 

I am afraid that a pattern emerges though and  this discussion is meaningless, because I have to explain to you basic logic and common sense which you seem to lack either because you are not able to comprehend my points or because you are deliberately pretending not to understand them because it doesnt suit your narrative. 

so? did you pop a blood vessel when Linus's channel reviewed a bunch of bicycles? or phones? or vinyl wraps.... for consoles?

or heaven forbid... Macs?

Again that pattern I mentioned above....

I did not say that linus can or can not showcase things that are irrelevant to PCs...

What I said is that there was no emphasis on the use of this device for legacy consoles nor did he made clear that he was talking about that and that a normal person under this context would assume that he mainly speaks for usecases as a PC gamer since this is mainly a PC tech channel the sponsor is a PC prebuild that has that card and the footage shows people playing PC GAMES + he mentioned lan parties and contests/e-sports which is mainly a PC thing as well... 

You just mentioned consoles because its the only thing these products are remotely useful for a casual gamer and thus it was your best case argument.

BTW again it's not necessary with modern consoles to use such a device because you can stream your console over wifi to your personal computer and capture that footage with OBS at full quality and free + adding webcams or other sources. 

4 hours ago, moriz1 said:

really? i'm pretty sure Linus explicitly said that capture cards "are used to record EXTERNAL sources, like a game console, or a camera" within the first 30 seconds of the video.

and that's really the purpose of these capture cards: capture video feed from game consoles and cameras. if you just want to stream your computer, you don't need these cards.

what I found disappointing, is that Linus failed to mention that for PC recording/streaming, the primary bottleneck for any competent system isn't the encoding part, but the RENDERING part. rendering refers to scene composition, and is run on your GPU core. if your game is stressing your GPU too much, you WILL start dropping frames, and no amount of NVENC/hardware encoders will help you.

As someone that games at 1440p 165 FPS Target, this is so true.

Nothing I play that's a relatively modern and nice looking title works with NVENC at 60FPS / 1080P, it's just too much for even a 2080TI to handle, and it's either me or the youtubers absolutely not using what they're selling.

I've stuck to using x264 with my Ryzen 9 3900x and it's been a dream. Absolutely no issues.

3 hours ago, papajo said:

Cocaine is a substance that gets into your bloodstream and makes you feel like a god. 

Here for example I mentioned what cocaine is what it does omitting the context so I showcase cocaine in a favorable light. 

and making a video about capture card is the equivalent of selling cocaine? are you listening to yourself? i chose to ignore it when you first brought it up, because it was stupid. but since you decide to double down, i'l bite:

if you want to bring up harmful substances into the discussion, then tell me: what is the harmful side effect of a capture card?

spoiler: there isn't one. the capture card expands on the capability of your computer with basically zero downsides. the worst that could happen is that you end up not using it much. in which case, if you mistakenly bought one after watching a video that specifically tells you when these things are good idea, then that's on you, not the video.

omitting that you can do exactly what those thing do for free without the need to purchase a piece of hardware and having more or less the same impact (oh he omits the fact that you will have a performance impact while gaming and using those devices) 

there are cases where this isn't true, which you decide to ignore.

And I said that because its sponsored it doesnt mean anything because if you are going to deliberately twist the truth just because you are sponsored then what you do is called shilling. 

WRONG.

that's literally the point of having a sponsor spot. the video being sponsored (and clearly marked as such) already signals that there's some amount of bias in place. otherwise, nobody would ever buy sponsor spots. and despite that, and despite your inane "logic", i find the video entertaining and reasonably informative. it covered most of the relevant topics, and actually end up spending very little time actually trying to push a product. in fact, Linus spend a portion of the video pushing one of the sponsor's competitors.

how he managed to negotiate that, i have no idea.

what you are saying is tantamount to telling Linus that he and his team don't deserve to get paid, or should only be paid according to YOUR terms, which is stupid.

I am afraid that a pattern emerges though and  this discussion is meaningless, because I have to explain to you basic logic and common sense which you seem to lack either because you are not able to comprehend my points or because you are deliberately pretending not to understand them because it doesnt suit your narrative. 

i comprehend you just fine. the problem here is that your "logic" makes no sense. the only "logic" you apparently subscribe to, is meaningless nitpicking because you obviously have an axe to grind. grow up and get over it.

You just mentioned consoles because its the only thing these products are remotely useful for a casual gamer and thus it was your best case argument.

it's also the one of the only listed use cases brought up by the video. the other one being cameras.

nowhere else did it explicitly state that these capture cards are useful for any other use case.

BTW again it's not necessary with modern consoles to use such a device because you can stream your console over wifi to your personal computer and capture that footage with OBS at full quality and free + adding webcams or other sources. 

the nintendo switch is a modern console, and last i checked, it doesn't have any streaming features. so your statement simply isn't true.

and i HAVE actually streamed by streaming my PS4 over wifi/lan to my PC and then streamed the output window using OBS. the experience was miserable. 0/10 do not recommend. i'd definitely recommend a capture card for this scenario.

2 hours ago, XenZibe said:

As someone that games at 1440p 165 FPS Target, this is so true.

Nothing I play that's a relatively modern and nice looking title works with NVENC at 60FPS / 1080P, it's just too much for even a 2080TI to handle, and it's either me or the youtubers absolutely not using what they're selling.

people tend to forget that the NVENC feature draws from the same total board power as the rest of the components on a video card. if the card is already maxed out on power draw, enabling NVENC will immediately cause the card to throttle, which leads to lower GPU clock speed, which then leads to reduced performance.

2 hours ago, XenZibe said:

I've stuck to using x264 with my Ryzen 9 3900x and it's been a dream. Absolutely no issues.

likewise, i also use x264 (on my 3950X), and i never get any encoder lag. rendering lag on the other hand, depends on what i'm playing.

• 7 months later...

Do I need a graphics card for the capture card to work?