SSHD vs SSD, noob with SSHD

lithium_6

I need some help choosing an additional hard drive for my desktop. It's for my game library and personal files.

I can get a Crucial SSD MX500 500GB or a Seagate Firecuda SSHD (st1000lx015) 1TB for the same price. I currently using around 300 to 400 GB in games and files, I was browsing for an SSD and the Firecuda popped up as an option on Amazon.

OS and other programs are running on my main NVME drive.

The Firecuda comes with 8GB of NAND but I have no idea of how much this will impact launch times. I do have a laptop with a second HDD and game loading times are painful. In this case with an SSHD I don't have a clue. In fact I had never used one.

For this use case, a SSHD is going to perform practically the same as a low end HD. The flash part is far too small relative to the game file sizes so for all but the smallest of games, you'll be running native hard disk performance.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

For this use case, a SSHD is going to perform practically the same as a low end HD. The flash part is far too small relative to the game file sizes so for all but the smallest of games, you'll be running native hard disk performance.

Thanks, I was thinking exactly that. No point of having the cache if it isn't enough for whatever game I'm loading. Probably I'm going to wait a little more and see if can get a good deal on a 1TB SSD. 

In my experience, an SSHD is a hard drive. You have zero control over what ends up placed on NAND, which means that when the drive's algorithm decides to put your recycle bin there, the whole purpose is defeated. I'd buy either a real SSD or a cheaper true HDD. Hybrids were a bad idea that sort of made sense back when SSDs were new and insanely expensive.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.