Asus strix scar III Laptop with i7-9750h, and rtx 2070 power throttles every 20-30 seconds even when temps are normal (70-80 degrees)

My Asus strix scar III Laptop with i7 9750h, and rtx 2070 power throttles every 20-30 seconds even when temps are around 75 degrees for CPU and 70 degrees for GPU.

Hi Guys and Girls!

For 20-30 seconds any game runs at 100fps then for 10 seconds fps drops to 20. (Ambient temperature 29 degrees Celcius)
This started around a month ago. Wattage for Gpu drops from 90-115 to 50-60 degrees even when cpu temps both are below 75 degrees (Tested this by capping cpu cores to 2.6ghz). I have listed the things I have done in detail below (Grab popcorn). Thanks in Advance for all your suggestions.

r/ASUSROG - Asus strix scar III 9750h, 2070 power throttles every 20-30 seconds even when temps are normal (70-80 degrees)

Wattage,temps and clocks reported while throttling when running Assassins creed odyssey Internal benchmark.

r/ASUSROG - Asus strix scar III 9750h, 2070 power throttles every 20-30 seconds even when temps are normal (70-80 degrees)

List of things I tried:

1. Undervolted CPU using Throttle stop and capped cores to 3.7 ghz.

2 Undervolted gpu and tested with fixed voltages and clocks from as low as .700 volts 1250mhz to .800 volts 1550 mhz. I tried around 30 different settings some I have listed below

Volts Fixed Mhz Cap  HwInfo Wattage (while not throttling) HwInfo Wattage (While throttling) Mhz while throttling GpuZ Perf cap reason
.700            1250 85-90 48-52 950 PWR
.750            1250                90-95                                                              50-54                                                                 1000                                        PWR
.750                       1350 92-98 54-55 1050 PWR
.800           1550 105-110 58-60 1200 PWR

3. Repasted. Actually repasted twice in 2 days. Results as follows

Part Before Repaste (Max temps Aida 64 stress test with undervolt) After Repaste (Max temps Aida 64 stress test with undervolt)  
CPU 89-92 85-87  
GPU 78-80 72-74  

4 Turned off game bar options.

5.Set CPU to 99% in poweroptions

6.Enabled Performance mode in Nvidia control panel

6.66 : Started Panicking

7. Gave up and reset windows and installed drivers again.

8. Didn't work so formatted the drive and installed clean windows and new drivers.

9. Updated bios to Version 308 . DONT DO THIS!!! Got even more Fu****** problems because this bios even disabled CPU undervolting. Crap! (Reset to 307 but it keeps auto installing in each restart)

This doesn't seem to be due to a bug in a game or sth as well.
List of games tested:

Game             Normal Framerate          Throttling Framerate
CS GO             170-200                         35-45

AC Odyssey     55-70                             9-15

Divinity OS 2    120-140                         12-15

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so open MsI Aft3rburn3r and increase the power limit and see if that helps.

Use Gpuz sensor tab to see when and why its throttling .

Hi @ShrimpBrime I checked it with GPUZ the perf cap reason was PWR. Also I am unsure If we can increase the power limit in laptop.

1 hour ago, prajwol_shr18 said:

Hi @ShrimpBrime I checked it with GPUZ the perf cap reason was PWR. Also I am unsure If we can increase the power limit in laptop.

MSI after burner would be the tool to use to increase power limit. If it's greyed out, then it won't be possible.

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

MSI after burner would be the tool to use to increase power limit. If it's greyed out, then it won't be possible.

Umm I've been using this laptop for almost a year. Didn't have the power limit throttling issue before. It just appeared out of the blue. GPU and CPU would consume around 110 and 45 watts respectively during long gaming sessions. Now they do that for 20 seconds.

2 minutes ago, prajwol_shr18 said:

Umm I've been using this laptop for almost a year. Didn't have the power limit throttling issue before. It just appeared out of the blue. GPU and CPU would consume around 110 and 45 watts respectively during long gaming sessions. Now they do that for 20 seconds.

The cpu boost clocks are on a timer, so that's pretty normal. Perhaps something you just now noticed.....

Maybe it needs a good cleaning and the GPU vrms are running warm enough to throttle. It is know to happen.

11 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The cpu boost clocks are on a timer, so that's pretty normal. Perhaps something you just now noticed.....

Maybe it needs a good cleaning and the GPU vrms are running warm enough to throttle. It is know to happen.

I tested with turbo boost off as part of my test. Still the same thing. My suspicion is VRM as well. Can you tell me any tools to show VRM temps? I couldn't see it in HwInfo. Searching for the heat gun as well. 

Thanks for the tips.

3 minutes ago, prajwol_shr18 said:

I tested with turbo boost off as part of my test. Still the same thing. My suspicion is VRM as well. Can you tell me any tools to show VRM temps? I couldn't see it in HwInfo. Searching for the heat gun as well. 

Thanks for the tips.

HwInfo64 is the best bet unless motherboard software reports it.