Secondary Portable Monitor?

TheExcaliber

Hi, it's been a minute since I've been back on this forum... Was wondering if anyone here have a good affordable secondary portable monitor they would recommend somwhere below the budget of $150 USD? I'm mainly using this second monitor for twitch chat and minor workload.

Does it need to be portable? You can get much more monitor for much less if you get a regular one.

1 minute ago, TheGoatGuy said:

Does it need to be portable? You can get much more monitor for much less if you get a regular one.

I know I do want a 2nd monitor but just somewhat sad my table/room dont have enough space sadly :( so portable monitor is what I'm aiming for.. I saw AOC one but reviews seems mixed if you got Windows 10 idk

10 minutes ago, TheExcaliber said:

I know I do want a 2nd monitor but just somewhat sad my table/room dont have enough space sadly :( so portable monitor is what I'm aiming for.. I saw AOC one but reviews seems mixed if you got Windows 10 idk

Was this the AOC monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-I1659FWUX-USB-powered-portable-1920x1080/dp/B06X9C6XFK?tag=p00935-20&ascsubtag=00Yp8r2KfZ6kZUQlelEOw54

2 minutes ago, TheExcaliber said:

Yes it was well it was either that one or the HD (3.0) for $94 USD

So I did a bit of research.

-The $94 monitor is only 1366x768, 200 nits (listed as cd/m2 but it’s the same as nits), 60hz, and a 5ms response time.
-The $150 monitor is full HD1920x1080, 220 nits, 60hz, and 11ms. 

The more expensive option will be better, especially for reading text and watching video as 1080p vs 768p makes a huge difference. Neither has amazing brightness, but for your use cases I’m sure it will be alright. The response times aren’t record breaking, but as long as you aren’t planning on doing any hardcore gaming, it shouldn’t matter.  

In short, the more expensive option will be better, but if you would rather save $50 and go with the less expensive model, that will probably be okay. You can always save up some money and buy something better later if you need to. 

Also, I know you mentioned problems with Windows, but I read a review done by PCMag (https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/aoc-i1659fwux-usb-monitor) and they did not write about any problems on Windows. It may have just been a few people had a damaged product, the reviews I read that said that were at least a year old. 

Hope this helps :)

Just now, TheGoatGuy said:

So I did a bit of research.

-The $94 monitor is only 1366x768, 200 nits (listed as cd/m2 but it’s the same as nits), 60hz, and a 5ms response time.
-The $150 monitor is full HD1920x1080, 220 nits, 60hz, and 11ms. 

The more expensive option will be better, especially for reading text and watching video as 1080p vs 768p makes a huge difference. Neither has amazing brightness, but for your use cases I’m sure it will be alright. The response times aren’t record breaking, but as long as you aren’t planning on doing any hardcore gaming, it shouldn’t matter.  

In short, the more expensive option will be better, but if you would rather save $50 and go with the less expensive model, that will probably be okay. You can always save up some money and buy something better later if you need to. 

Also, I know you mentioned problems with Windows, but I read a review done by PCMag (https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/aoc-i1659fwux-usb-monitor) and they did not write about any problems on Windows. It may have just been a few people had a damaged product, the reviews I read that said that were at least a year old. 

Hope this helps :)

:o Thank you! also any thoughts on this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Monitor-Computer-1920×1080-Protector/dp/B07RGPCQG1/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

19 minutes ago, TheExcaliber said:

That one looks solid as well, although it’s $190, or at least for me anyway. It’s 1080p, 60hz and 300 nits. I couldn’t find anywhere where it listed a response time, but I didn’t find any complains in the reviews.

The only draw back I can find is that it needs two cords to be plugged in. One will be USB-C for power delivery (on the right), and the other is USB-C or mini HDMI to full-sized HDMI for video. This isn’t amazing for portability, although it shouldn’t be a deal breaker especially if your using it on a table or desk most of the time.

2 minutes ago, TheGoatGuy said:

That one looks solid as well, although it’s $190, or at least for me anyway. It’s 1080p, 60hz and 300 nits. I couldn’t find anywhere where it listed a response time, but I didn’t find any complains in the reviews.

The only draw back I can find is that it needs two cords to be plugged in. One will be USB-C for power delivery (on the right), and the other is USB-C or mini HDMI to full-sized HDMI for video. This isn’t amazing for portability, although it shouldn’t be a deal breaker especially if your using it on a table or desk most of the time.

Oh ew Dx hmmm I think I might just go for the cheaper option hmm

8 minutes ago, TheExcaliber said:

Oh ew Dx hmmm I think I might just go for the cheaper option hmm

Yep. I feel like the cheaper AOC monitors are gonna give you more bang for your buck. The mostly have the same features as the Lepow monitor apart from... speakers and a cover? I don’t think its that much better and worth $190 (and especially not the $220 list price). 

I would probably say go with the $150 AOC monitor. Worst case, if it doesn’t work out, you could always return it even though it might be a little bit of a hassle because, well, Amazon. 

1 minute ago, TheGoatGuy said:

Yep. I feel like the cheaper AOC monitors are gonna give you more bang for your buck. The mostly have the same features as the Lepow monitor apart from... speakers and a cover? I don’t think its that much better and worth $190 (and especially not the $220 list price). 

I would probably say go with the $150 AOC monitor. Worst case, if it doesn’t work out, you could always return it even though it might be a little bit of a hassle because, well, Amazon. 

True true xD well my return experience with amazon hasn't been bad yet :) anyway thanks your your thoughts what not!! 

5 minutes ago, TheExcaliber said:

True true xD well my return experience with amazon hasn't been bad yet :) anyway thanks your your thoughts what not!! 

No problem!! I hope everything goes well! :)

33 minutes ago, TheGoatGuy said:

No problem!! I hope everything goes well! :)

I take that back... I installed the driver to check and I see their driver is not Windows 10 Compatible ;-;

Edit: I'll be getting this one instead since I guess might spend a little more. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MB169B-1920x1080-Portable-Monitor/dp/B013XFJKGI/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=Portable+monitor&qid=1597529250&s=electronics&sr=1-9

On 8/15/2020 at 5:06 PM, TheExcaliber said:

I take that back... I installed the driver to check and I see their driver is not Windows 10 Compatible ;-;

Edit: I'll be getting this one instead since I guess might spend a little more. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MB169B-1920x1080-Portable-Monitor/dp/B013XFJKGI/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=Portable+monitor&qid=1597529250&s=electronics&sr=1-9

Hmmm, very weird. Well it’s good you thought to check that. I didn’t realize you’d need drivers. That ASUS one should be pretty good though.