Fan direction question.

HesCalledTheStig

I just switched my aging AIO with a 212 EVO cooler.  I want to re-purpose the fans from the AIO as case fans for more air flow.  Currently, I have a 140MM in the rear for exhaust and 2 140mm fans in the front of the case as intake.I want to add the 2 fans from the AIO in the top of my case but I dont know if they should be intake or exhaust.  The fan on my cooler is also in a push setup.  For reference, my case is a Thermaltake H200 TG RGB Snow Edition (See link).

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Glass-Pre-Installed-CA-1M3-00M6WN-03/dp/B07X57R96B/ref=sr_1_1?crid=SU8A7O8G82R0&dchild=1&keywords=thermaltake+h200+tg+rgb%2C+snow&qid=1597511740&sprefix=Thernaltake+h200%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-1

Any help would be appreciated!

Here's a photo of the current setup.  Ignore the lettering on the graphics card, I was proud of my card when i got it lol.

Photo_Aug_15,_1_16_57_PM.jpg

clean the dust bro

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I just switched my aging AIO with a 212 EVO cooler.  I want to re-purpose the fans from the AIO as case fans for more air flow.  Currently, I have a 140MM in the rear for exhaust and 2 140mm fans in the front of the case as intake.I want to add the 2 fans from the AIO in the top of my case but I dont know if they should be intake or exhaust.  The fan on my cooler is also in a push setup.  For reference, my case is a Thermaltake H200 TG RGB Snow Edition (See link).

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Glass-Pre-Installed-CA-1M3-00M6WN-03/dp/B07X57R96B/ref=sr_1_1?crid=SU8A7O8G82R0&dchild=1&keywords=thermaltake+h200+tg+rgb%2C+snow&qid=1597511740&sprefix=Thernaltake+h200%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-1

Any help would be appreciated!

Here's a photo of the current setup.  Ignore the lettering on the graphics card, I was proud of my card when i got it lol.

Photo_Aug_15,_1_16_57_PM.jpg

If anything, I would put one fan in to top rear as exhaust, and thats it. That way you get a nice column of air from the intake fan directly at the heatsinks fan, then the heated air will go out the rear and rear top fans. That will be plenty enough airflow.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

clean the dust bro

Its not very dust, looks mostly fine to me.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Its not very dust, looks mostly fine to me.

the front fans

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 minutes ago, sub68 said:

clean the dust bro

Thank you captain obvious.  I will be cleaning the dust while I take care of other maintenance including adding the fans.  If you dont have an answer for me, go away troll.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

If anything, I would put one fan in to top rear as exhaust, and thats it. That way you get a nice column of air from the intake fan directly at the heatsinks fan, then the heated air will go out the rear and rear top fans. That will be plenty enough airflow.

Never considered that.  I'll give it a try!

2 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Thank you captain obvious.  I will be cleaning the dust while I take care of other maintenance including adding the fans.  If you dont have an answer for me, go away troll.  Thanks!

well having a top exhaust like @LIGISTX said

also nice big hero six figure

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

The ideal setup would be with a balanced airflow between intake and exhaust (actually slightly unbalanced favoring intake, to prevent dust from finding its way through the case openings). Usually, you'll want to have more intake fans than exhaust. At the same rpm, an intake moves less air due to the resistance of dust filters and radiators (and case obstruction, if present). That being said, either have more intakes or slow down the exhaust ones. 

In my case I have 6 fans, 3 intakes and 3 exhaust. The exhaust being locked @5v (they're not PWM) while the intake ones ramp up as temperatures rise.

What I would do, is buy some dust filters such these (if the case doesn't have any top ones), put both fans as intake and run them at it's lowest (either with a fan controller or PWM). 

Another option would be what @LIGISTX said, just make sure to tune the rpm (of either the exhaust or the intake) to get a balanced airflow.

If you don't care at all about dust buildup, run it as you please. Exhaust fans are marginally more effective than intake at cooling.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

13 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

The ideal setup would be with a balanced airflow between intake and exhaust (actually slightly unbalanced favoring intake, to prevent dust from finding its way through the case openings). Usually, you'll want to have more intake fans than exhaust. At the same rpm, an intake moves less air due to the resistance of dust filters and radiators (and case obstruction, if present). That being said, either have more intakes or slow down the exhaust ones. 

In my case I have 6 fans, 3 intakes and 3 exhaust. The exhaust being locked @5v (they're not PWM) while the intake ones ramp up as temperatures rise.

What I would do, is buy some dust filters such these (if the case doesn't have any top ones), put both fans as intake and run them at it's lowest (either with a fan controller or PWM). 

Another option would be what @LIGISTX said, just make sure to tune the rpm (of either the exhaust or the intake) to get a balanced airflow.

If you don't care at all about dust buildup, run it as you please. Exhaust fans are marginally more effective than intake at cooling.

The fans I have are PWM so I like the idea of running them both as intake. The case has a magnetic dust filter on the top.  I wish it had filtration in the front as that's where my dust issue stems from.  I live in a very old house that seems to produce 10x the amount of any other place Ive lived, haha.

4 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

The fans I have are PWM so I like the idea of running them both as intake. The case has a magnetic dust filter on the top.  I wish it had filtration in the front as that's where my dust issue stems from.  I live in a very old house that seems to produce 10x the amount of any other place Ive lived, haha.

That explains the dust. I haven't cleaned my rig in a full year and I'm not even close to that amount. Always have dust filters on intakes, if possible.

How's the exaust fan running now? You might have to ramp it up if going 4 intake.

BTW, I've edited the link. You might want to try in those filters fit in the front. They're not pretty tho

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

2 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

That explains the dust. I haven't cleaned my rig in a full year and I'm not even close to that amount. Always have dust filters on intakes, if possible.

How's the exaust fan running now? You might have to ramp it up if going 4 intake.

BTW, I've edited the link. You might want to try in those filters fit in the front. They're not pretty tho

The rear exhaust fan is also running off a 4 pin PWM header on the motherboard.  Should I install a fan controller to keep it running full throttle with the new intake fans installed?

As for the filters you linked, they would actually be perfect.  I'd never even see them in my setup.  The only issue is, I'd have to disassemble the case everytime I wanted to clean them.  Unless I put them on the rear of my fans inside the case.  In that case, they would definitely be an eyesore.

3 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

The rear exhaust fan is also running off a 4 pin PWM header on the motherboard.  Should I install a fan controller to keep it running full throttle with the new intake fans installed?

On what header is the fan connected? Check in the bios if there's a option to control the single headers

8 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

As for the filters you linked, they would actually be perfect.  I'd never even see them in my setup.  The only issue is, I'd have to disassemble the case everytime I wanted to clean them.  Unless I put them on the rear of my fans inside the case.  In that case, they would definitely be an eyesore.

You could try to fit them between the fans and the rad, don't know if this would actually make it any easier. At this point I'm not even sure if they'll do their job.

Possibly a dumb question but what if I was to run the fan more towards the front as an intake and the one towards the rear as an exhaust?

6 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Possibly a dumb question but what if I was to run the fan more towards the front as an intake and the one towards the rear as an exhaust?

I don't know if the fans will interfere with each other honestly. You can test it

2 hours ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

The case isn't that large so I don't think you need to put two more intake fans on the top.  Your front intake fans are pretty much blowing directly into the cooler fan so the cooler is getting direct fresh air from the front intake.  Adding a top intake in the front half of the case basically means you have two fans blowing into each other and possibly redirecting the airflow before it reaches the cooler.  If anything, a low rpm setting on a exhaust fan in the top rear like @LIGISTX mentioned before would be all you need. Put a filter on the front intakes then try to create a slight positive pressure in the case so that the air is trying to find any way out. Negative air pressure would mean the case is trying to suck air in through any hole, gap, or crevice without a dust filter which would mean dust everywhere.