Choosing a CPU cooler that will fit (followup)

x029

This post is a followup to:

The general consensus was that I need to replace the wraith stealth. However, I was wondering what CPU cooler I should use instead. The basic requirements are that it should be at most 40 usd (including thermal paste), should actually fit in my case (my Cougar MX-330G claims to have a max cooler size of 155mm), and should be compatible with my AM4 CPU. Here are the options I have considered so far:

- CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo: Too large.

- Noctua NH-L9i/a/AM4: Does have thermal paste and is small enough, but may not be powerful enough. Also may need to buy an additional bracket for Am4

- be quiet! Pure Rock 2: 155mm so I'm also scared to use it, but it does seem powerful and does seem to have thermal paste preapplied.

- be quiet! Pure Rock Slim: Should have about 3cm space which is good, but may be slightly less powerful than the PureRock 2.

Note that I'm also scared about the tempered glass panel for the height, since I sometimes kick it and if there is a CPU cooler right behind it I am afraid it will break. Plus I am afraid that someday I may send my chair straight into it... I'm starting to regret getting a glass panel.

I'll probably go for the Pure Rock Slim but if there's an obvious choice I'm missing please inform me. Stats on the performance of the NH-L9 and the pure rock 2/slim would be great too for a comparison (ideally also with the wraith stealth)

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, x029 said:

The basic requirements are that it should be at most 40 usd (including thermal paste), should actually fit in my case (my Cougar MX-330G claims to have a max cooler size of 155mm), and should be compatible with my AM4 CPU. Here are the options I have considered so far:

Most if not all coolers come with either preapplied or a small tube of paste. Alpenföhn Atlas would be your best option if you can find one for cheap or Arctic Freezer 33.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

Have you considered an AIO? Such as this Cooler Master?

Yes it's a little bit out of your price range, but it should leave you with ample space so it's definitely worth considering. Bear in mind this isn't a "AIO vs HSF" stance I'm taking, rather, good performance without taking much space stance.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

42 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Have you considered an AIO? Such as this Cooler Master?

Yes it's a little bit out of your price range, but it should leave you with ample space so it's definitely worth considering. Bear in mind this isn't a "AIO vs HSF" stance I'm taking, rather, good performance without taking much space stance.

I might consider it but I am mostly looking for an air cooler as it should be similar performance at a lower price, but if you could get statistics that would be great.

58 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Most if not all coolers come with either preapplied or a small tube of paste. Alpenföhn Atlas would be your best option if you can find one for cheap or Arctic Freezer 33.

Is the arctic freezer better than the pure rock slim? It's also a bit tall for my liking but it's cheap and I guess I could go with it. I can't find the alpenfohn anywhere unfortunately.