CPU temps a bit high and fans feel loud

I built my first PC a few weeks ago and it seems a bit loud and hot. HWINFO tells me that my Tctl/Tdie temps are about 65 C at idle (usage less than 10%). under AIDA64 system stability test stressing CPU and FPU it reports about 88-89 degrees (but HWINFO's CPU (Tctl/Tdie) reads up to 94C.) This is definitely not good so I was wondering why this could be the case.

Here's my build (tl;dr below).

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z9XvXv

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For $171.89)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $129.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $79.99)
Storage: Team MP34 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $66.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $299.99)
Case: Cougar MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $51.99)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $75.81)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  (Purchased For $34.99)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  (Purchased For $12.49)
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $46.99)
Total: $1038.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 17:44 EDT-0400

Tl;dr: Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler, RTX 2060 KO graphics card, two Arctic P12 PWM PST intake fans connected using Arctic's PWM Sharing technology at the front of a Cougar MX330-G ATX case with the fan that came with the case in the back. (NOTE: The back fan may not be high quality and does not have PWM, however I don't think others had issues with this fan. I may try to replace it at some point though).

Before you ask, I did not apply thermal paste beyond what was already on the stock cooler. When mounting it however I did a sloppy job, but I did use the criss cross pattern and saw that the thermal paste had spread. Also, the case fans are in the correct orientation (front fans are intake and back fan is exhaust). Every fan does run and at speeds that seem normal.

My case is not hot to the touch, though: is it possible that my CPU is just misreporting? I don't think this is possible though.

Another thing is that whenever I open Task Manager it shows over 50% usage at first before it falls to about 15% or whatever. Is this normal or is there possibly a malicious background process?

Is there anything obvious that might be wrong? Please help! If you have any questions to troubleshoot I will try to answer as quickly as possible.

1 minute ago, x029 said:

I built my first PC a few weeks ago and it seems a bit loud and hot. HWINFO tells me that my Tctl/Tdie temps are about 65 C at idle (usage less than 10%). under AIDA64 system stability test stressing CPU and FPU it reports about 88-89 degrees (but HWINFO's CPU (Tctl/Tdie) reads up to 94C.) This is definitely not good so I was wondering why this could be the case.

Here's my build (tl;dr below).

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z9XvXv

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For $171.89)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $129.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $79.99)
Storage: Team MP34 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $66.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $299.99)
Case: Cougar MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $51.99)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $75.81)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  (Purchased For $34.99)
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $46.99)
Total: $1038.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 17:44 EDT-0400

Tl;dr: Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler, RTX 2060 KO graphics card, two Arctic P12 PWM PST intake fans connected using Arctic's PWM Sharing technology at the front of a Cougar MX330-G ATX case with the fan that came with the case in the back. (NOTE: The back fan may not be high quality and does not have PWM, however I don't think others had issues with this fan. I may try to replace it at some point though).

Before you ask, I did not apply thermal paste beyond what was already on the stock cooler. When mounting it however I did a sloppy job, but I did use the criss cross pattern and saw that the thermal paste had spread. Also, the case fans are in the correct orientation (front fans are intake and back fan is exhaust). Every fan does run and at speeds that seem normal.

My case is not hot to the touch, though: is it possible that my CPU is just misreporting? I don't think this is possible though.

Another thing is that whenever I open Task Manager it shows over 50% usage at first before it falls to about 15% or whatever. Is this normal or is there possibly a malicious background process?

Is there anything obvious that might be wrong? Please help! If you have any questions to troubleshoot I will try to answer as quickly as possible.

i have the same cpu as you and as soon as i open task manager i see usage over 40 percent then it goes back to normal so thats normal. try reinstalling the cooler. i have gigabyte atc800rgb cooler and the cpu is running at 4.2ghz and all my temps are great so i think the issue is you probably didnt install the cooler correctly. if possible try applying thermal paste

Give Ryzen Master a look, see what temps it's reporting for you. I know that hwinfo had troubles accurately reporting for Ryzen, I don't know if this is still the case.
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

The first thing i'd suggest you do is remount your heatsink with new thermal paste. Mounts can be a little off sometimes, poor mounting pressure uneven distribution, or otherwise not fantastic contact can happen.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Re-apply thermal paste or better get decent aftermarket cooler, even a cheap one for AM4 will be better that the low profile AMD stock cooler. Your case supports top mounted fans, get a cheap fan of your choosing and place it up top in the corner. That and the new thermal paste should drop max temps by 5 to 12 C. If you want a quieter and cooler system, you will need to get a tower cooler or an AIO (240 mm or bigger).

1 minute ago, Semper said:

Give Ryzen Master a look, see what temps it's reporting for you. I know that hwinfo had troubles accurately reporting for Ryzen, I don't know if this is still the case.

The first thing i'd suggest you do is remount your heatsink with new thermal paste. Mounts can be a little off sometimes, poor mounting pressure uneven distribution, or otherwise not fantastic contact can happen.

I am getting pretty accurate results with hwinfo, according to my fluke thermometer that is.

Razor Stealth stock cooler is not that great. Not abnormal to approach thermal throttling temps with it. Get a good aftermarket cooler.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

59 minutes ago, Semper said:

Ryzen Master doesn't work since it needs virtualization based security off, but editing the group policy doesn't seem to work and i can't disable virtualization in the BIOS altogether because of work. I will try to remount my heatsink soon.

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

Re-apply thermal paste or better get decent aftermarket cooler, even a cheap one for AM4 will be better that the low profile AMD stock cooler. Your case supports top mounted fans, get a cheap fan of your choosing and place it up top in the corner. That and the new thermal paste should drop max temps by 5 to 12 C. If you want a quieter and cooler system, you will need to get a tower cooler or an AIO (240 mm or bigger).

23 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Razor Stealth stock cooler is not that great. Not abnormal to approach thermal throttling temps with it. Get a good aftermarket cooler.

I will try to get a new cooler as soon as possible, what's a good cheap recommendation?

Also, should I replace the back fan that is not PWM and can't spin as fast?

1 hour ago, x029 said:

I will try to get a new cooler as soon as possible, what's a good cheap recommendation?

I've heard good things about the Artic Freezer 34 eSports. The CM Hyper 212, has been around since God made dirt, and is still a popular choice. I love my Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black, but it's not really cheap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

I've heard good things about the Artic Freezer 34 eSports. The CM Hyper 212, has been around since God made dirt, and is still a popular choice. I love my Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black, but it's not really cheap.

the Hyper 212 is not compatible with my case and the arctic freezer is a bit on the expensive side

is the NH-L9i/a/a-am4 good? I hope I don't need any more case fans. Also, if I get a noctua L9, it will come with thermal paste correct?