Password protected network shares without freenas?

y3llowduk

Hi All, I was thinking of building a freeNAS server but as I don't have much data it's not really worth the investment in the dedicated hardware. I can achieve what I need just by using my personal rig (which is on basically all the time anyway). I'm thinking of having 2 x 1TB drives in raid 1, with a previous versions backup to another 1tb drive (as well as monthly backups to an off-site external drive). I will have a few network shares however I need to have some protected areas, only accessible to certain members of our household.

I like how freenas lets you set up really simple user accounts and permissions for Windows shares, without a domain or the need to mess around with the local user accounts on the PC's round the house. Is there a way of doing this just on my main windows 10 PC on the network shares without freenas? I guess I could have freenas running on a VM for this, as long as there aren't any issues with me shutting it down and starting it up every day? Just wondering if anyone had an idea for a better solution. Hope what i'm trying to achieve makes sense.

Tia, Duck

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

This is all already built into windows 10 already.

Just make users on the pc, then change permissions of the share and files and your good.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This is all already built into windows 10 already.

Just make users on the pc, then change permissions of the share and files and your good.

So when someone else on a different PC tries to access the share, it will accept the credentials of the accounts/relevant permissions on my host PC, regardless of what user account they are using on their PC?

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15

9 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

So when someone else on a different PC tries to access the share, it will accept the credentials of the accounts/relevant permissions on my host PC, regardless of what user account they are using on their PC?

yea, its the permissions of the server pc that matter, the client pcs won't matter.

When you connect there are options to give a username and password, and use the username on the pc your connecting to.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea, its the permissions of the server pc that matter, the client pcs won't matter.

When you connect there are options to give a username and password, and use the username on the pc your connecting to.

Oh nice that's easy then.... i don't know why I didn't think that was a thing... nice one, cheers :)

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15