I bought an new ASUS Vivobook 14 less than a week back

Specs - Ryzen 3 3250u(2c4t 2.6~3.5Ghz)

4gb ram

Seagate 1tb SSD.

Single fan

(Will soon upgrade to 8gb  and ssd)

No OC or bios configs done.

I monitored temps with HWinfo and speedfan. 

Right after powering on the temps reach 43~50°c at idle. In Google meet meetings...it's around 70+.

Now here is the weird part...

The laptop doesn't really get hot. 

I'm a high schooler, so did like 4+ hours of Google meet class yesterday.(thx covid)..tho the temp readings were mind boggling, they kinda stayed there at around 65~80 but only the left part of the keyboard, where the chip is ...was mildly warm..and the underside warm.

Even after just waking from sleep it is at 60+, tho it drops down.

The temperature is very inconsistent. Like right after closing meet...in less than a minute the temps dropped to 49-50.

The funniest part is..if I'm on battery and suddenly plug in a charger, the temps will shoot 15 degrees in ten seconds, and then come to rest 2-3 degrees more than it was on battery.

Sometimes  the fans ramp DOWN when the temps seen to be climbing.

The chip is basically a  APU so it has integrated Radeon graphics..the software says the GFX to be at like 40-50 while the cpu is at 70..tho they are on the same dye.

There is no thermo throttling tho and the device feels snappy still.(I don't do creative stuff or gaming.)

I HAVE NOOO IDEA WHAT WAS HAPPENING.

Do Ryzen mobiles chips really get this hot?

I was suspecting poor thermal paste application first...but that is kinda impossible on a new laptop..

Is it just a broken sensor?

Both speedfan and HW show similiar results.

I wanted to run lm sensors and fancontrol on linux, but it for some reason won't run my linux SSD. waiting for a  new one.

So, should I be worried?

What's the solution?

This should be ok I’m not very concerned laptops are used to running at high temps ryzen laptops get very toasty I have a laptop with the same chip for typing on the go and it reaches 90c when playing Skyrim on low😂

Thats not weird.
Its a notebook with little room for cooling, thus its running hot. Every notebook does.
You might be able to make it a little less by putting in your own thermal paste, undervolting it or using it on a big fan-stand.

But this is what you get. Also current silicon can easily withstand those temps for a long time btw.

BTW Intel gets hotter. (Cus they dont have the tech yet to compete with Ryzen yet so they just increase their clocks)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

My work laptop is showing its getting up to 100C  :D 
image.png.7de4096c3cee2ef5eefe8b44f75c47fb.png

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

mobile chips generally run hotter that normal but you also got the old ryzen generation which was much hotter overall.

If you had a ryzen 4000 series chip it would be much cooler while having more power as well.

1 minute ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

Is this at idle?

See the utilization o_O

The max safe temps for this cpu is 95c id actually take a look at this maybe bad thermal paste if your knowledgeable enough is get some liquid metal from thermal grizzly.  In the mean time under volt it a bit.

@Bazadar

If these are at idle...it needs help man.

Probably cleaning up the insides and removing dust, besides some paste swap would do. 

Ok guys, u said it's fine to reach those temps, fine...I get it..thx..

But why the weird temp fluctuations, like  the charger thing...I checked that multiple times.

Why is the fan ramping down after a while?

Any way I can manually control the fans?on windows?speedfan or hwinfo won't work, and no bios settings.

Its a brand new laptop, Was thinking about getting the office to get one of them cooling pads laptops can sit on to see if that helps with the temp's

Also the utilization on HWMonitor is different to what Task Manager shows for some reason, On TM is shows its around 20-30%  CPU and GPU 9-12%

image.thumb.png.6f2455b4d51bd58c644e05d4284c6299.png

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10