Mikrotik Bandwidth Test Server

TubsAlwaysWins

Anyone know how to set up a Bandwidth test server so I can test mikrotiks? 

I have enough of them in deployment to justify the use and I have the hardware availability for the server.

Thanks

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Download the file from https://mikrotik.com/download (the blue button that says "Bandwidth Test"). Run it and go to the Server tab. Check "Enabled" and I recommend doing the "Authentication Required" and setting the username/password. Set the Max Connections and Allocate UDP Ports From settings as desired. Click Apply Settings. Next make sure that ports are open on any firewalls - the btest program will request all TCP and UDP ports be opened for it in the local Windows firewall, but if you have any other firewalls in the way (like if you want to open this on your public IP) then you'll need to allow TCP port 2000 (you can't change this) and UDP ports from the value you set to that value plus the max connections (so if you leave it at the defaults of 10 and 2000, then you need to allow ports 2000-2009).

You should be able to run this via Wine on Linux, but I don't think you can run it GUI-less - I couldn't get it to do anything from the command prompt on Windows other than just open the program's window.

If you hadn't noticed you can also run the Bandwidth Test Server on any RouterOS devices- I think that Mikrotik expects most MSPs to have a device dedicated to being the BTest Server.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 8/11/2020 at 9:44 AM, brwainer said:

Download the file from https://mikrotik.com/download (the blue button that says "Bandwidth Test"). Run it and go to the Server tab. Check "Enabled" and I recommend doing the "Authentication Required" and setting the username/password. Set the Max Connections and Allocate UDP Ports From settings as desired. Click Apply Settings. Next make sure that ports are open on any firewalls - the btest program will request all TCP and UDP ports be opened for it in the local Windows firewall, but if you have any other firewalls in the way (like if you want to open this on your public IP) then you'll need to allow TCP port 2000 (you can't change this) and UDP ports from the value you set to that value plus the max connections (so if you leave it at the defaults of 10 and 2000, then you need to allow ports 2000-2009).

You should be able to run this via Wine on Linux, but I don't think you can run it GUI-less - I couldn't get it to do anything from the command prompt on Windows other than just open the program's window.

If you hadn't noticed you can also run the Bandwidth Test Server on any RouterOS devices- I think that Mikrotik expects most MSPs to have a device dedicated to being the BTest Server.

I later realized after typing this post that you can use a RouterBox to run the btest. Got one in deployment :)

Breaking things 1 day at a time